Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Liberty Sun and Shade

Posted by Mr_Gary Illinois (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 23:25

These are photos of my Liberty's that have been in my garden for about a year now. The top photo is growing in full shade and bottom and the bottom photo gets about an hour in the morning and about 4 hours in the afternoon. Each Liberty only has one eye but I looking for more next year.

~ Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Liberty Sun and Shade

Bottom looks a lot like Saege.

o

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Thu, May 24, 12 at 1:13

I agree, one Liberty and one Sagae.

-Babka

o

Liberty is a sport of Sagae so the bottom one may not be mislabeled as Babka and ogrefcf suggest. We've seen lots of variation in the size of the white edge on Liberty in pics posted here. On the other hand, if the edge on the bottom one stays that size, I'd wonder if you've had a Liberty that reverted to Sagae. N

o

Re. how much sun is right for Liberty?

On a related topic, how much sun are you giving Liberty? Mine gets about 5 hours of morning sun. I noticed the yellow edge has bleached to a very pale yellow.

o

There's a post on Hallsons discussing margins. Chris said earlier there were some bad TC where the margins stayed really small.

I have both of mine in about 6 hours of sun and they are growing well and looking great!

Here is a link that might be useful: Post on thin margins

o

Thanks everyone for your feedback on the Liberty featured in the lower photo. I have had the same concerns as you have and have looked at alot of photos of Liberty. When I questioned about the authenticity of it where I got it from they assured me that it was H. Liberty but to satisfy me they gave me another at no cost. That other no cost H. Liberty is featured in the top photo. I have purchased two more very young H. Liberty's this year and they both have wide margins already.

~ Gary

o

This was not a problem I was aware of. I bought 2 Liberty this year and am happy to say they both have wide margins. Good knowledge.

o

Got two Sagaes and one Liberty this week, and I was not aware of their family connection. I will be sure to keep an eye on the Liberty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here