Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heartbreak

Posted by chris-e 7 MD (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 23:29

I have managed to dodge the bullet so far, but this spring two of my oldest, favorite plants are showing signs of HVX. I have had both of these for at least 5 years and they were bought from a reputable dealer, but I don't keep records, so I don't know which one.

I can't blame the dealer, since it has taken 5 years for it to show. Rainforest Sunrise and Summer Breeze are not available in Big Box Stores.

Rainforest Sunrise

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Summer Breeze

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I got a new camera, but unfortunately my first pictures are of this! It is HVX, isn't it?

chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heartbreak

I think you're still dodging bullets. That just looks like frost bite to me.
Cj

o

Yep, your Rainforest Sunrise looks just like my Maui Buttercups that has frost damage. And, I just looked up Maui Buttercups in the HL and saw that Rainforest Sunrise is a sport of Maui Buttercups.

And your Summer Breeze looks like many of my hostas that were damaged in the freeze that have less substance in their leaves than Maui Buttercups/Rainforest Sunrise.

Gesila

o

Definitely cold damage. You (and your hostas) are fine.

Alexa

o

Yea! We here in MD had a crazy spring. Temps in the 80s in February and a frost in May. I'm glad to hear others think it is just cold damage.
I'd would have been heart broken after 5 years of patients.
Dave

o

I'm seeing similar here on some with yellow in leaves - don't think we were near a frost - just tender new tissue that is not hardened off and got damaged by temps or winds - spring dessication.

Paul

o

Yeah, many of mine are showing signs, too. Maui B, Rainforest sunrise, Emerald Ruff Cut. First the tissue starts to look transparent in the rain, then turns white, then turns brown. Bah. I attribute it to the constant rain and cool temps, but who knows. Its like the mystery of the Frances Williams desiccation, same kind of thing.

o

Sorry Chris,but that is freeze damage. My Rainforest Sunrise has some of that too. BTW,I got both my Rainforest Sunrise and Summer Breeze from Lowes a few years ago,and they are HVX free! All Big box stores don't get the same plants all the time. Phil

o

I have few that look like that but it is sunburn as my hostas leafed out before the trees did this summer.

o

Thanks so much everyone! I was ready to dig my beauties up and was very sad. I have frost damage on some other plants, but it is more obvious, leaf curling and shredding, so I knew what that was. I am so happy, thanks again!

chris

o

I think it looks like sunburn. It warmed up quickly before the trees had leafed out.

Deanna

o

it sure did! And then it went down to freezing a couple of nights after it had hit high temps!

Poor plants didn't know what to do!

chris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here