Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How far apart do YOU plant?

Posted by thisismelissa z4a-S Twin Cities MN (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 08 at 23:31

Tasha's post about moving plants "already" got me thinking.

As you are planting a new hosta garden (with relatively small plants (6 eyes or less...more likely 1-3 eyes), how far apart would YOU plant?

With the hostas I planted this weekend, I think I was around 24-30 inches apart. Last year, the first phase was planted around 18-24 inches apart, knowing FULL WELL that likely next year (2009) I may have to start thinking about thinning out my garden. But I really am anxious for that "mature" look to a garden, i.e. touching hostas.

What YOUR preference for how close to plant a new hosta bed?

Melissa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How far apart do YOU plant?

Melissa,
I, too, was motivated to plant my new hostas last year TOO close to each other, trying for that "fuller" look; needless to say, I have spent the last 2 weeks moving every single hosta farther apart. It hasn't been 6 months and they were already encroaching upon each other. I moved all the big ones as far back along the fence as possible & managed to give each one at least 1 more foot of clearance. Eventually, these must be dug up & divided, as I have managed to fill up almost every nook in my garden. I will try to post pics so that you have an idea. They say patience is a virtue; it's better to space them apart & wait the 3-5 years it takes them to reach full maturity, than to have to dig them up & move them. My two cents.

o

2 1/2 to 3 feet. And I know I'll still have to move some around when they get bigger. But, they should be able to stay put longer this way.

o

I do a little of both. Some are really close because I want the 'drift' look as they mature. And others I've planted alone with 3-4 feet between them, so they'll stand out on their own. My 'some day' project would be to edge the whole property line with them.

o

When I plant a new area, I try to plant the "good ones" where they will stay, and fill in with bits I cut off the edge of "ordinary" hosta that are fast growing and that I have lots of....hosta like golden edger, august moon, krossa regal, antioch and varoius undulatta. Then when the "good ones" grow I remove the ordinary ones....well that's the plan anyhow!
Linda C

o

lol - yeah, then comes fall, and you are trying to plant all those new babies that have been in pots all summer, squeezing them in here and there, and the 'plan' goes out the window - lol
Pam

o

I usually plant them four feet apart unless they are really big, then maybe five feet. On occasion, I'm down to about 40 inches depending on the setting.

So far, I don't have any hostas touching in my yard, and I don't really want any touching. It may happen this year. There's a Daybreak that is getting dangerously close to a monstrous (60-plus inches last year) Abba Dabba Do, which went from 30 to 40 eyes this year and who knows what the width will be.

Another combo to watch is a Sun Power and Blue Angel planted 5-1/2 feet apart. They were only about a foot apart last year. The Sun Power has gone from 16 eyes last year to 24 now.

Basically, I like to look at them one at a time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here