Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Another rainy day potting new hosta

User
9 years ago

I say, it was the second evening and morning of rain. Wednesday night it began rather late, and by next morning it totalled 5 inches or more. I emptied a plastic wheeled carrier (filled with bricks) of water about an inch from the top. It stands about 24 inches off the ground.

Last night it again rained, don't recall if it stormed since I was dead to the world without turning over once. It stopped for a while, long enough to pot my six hosta from Van Wade, and then it busted loose again. This is the general view of all six.
The streaker is Breeder's Choice Streaked, and the yellow is Zitronenfalter, a lot bigger than I expected it to be. And the big one in front is Yellow River. The most leafy one is the gift, Sugar And Spice. The usual green fragrant in look is Sweet Irene. Did I leave anyone out? Yes! I left out BRIDAL FALLS. I decided to replace the one which turned out to be Frosted Jade.

Before supper tonight, I dumped the same amount of water from the plastic wheeled carrier, still holding the same load of bricks. Another five inches! I see signs of the pine bark and cypress mulch having moved into a beachy pattern in places. My work of contouring the ground is not done, apparently.. Using the cinder blocks for both bleacher bases and walls for raised beds to control the flow of heavy rains, that is the idea, a delicate balancing act.

(Hey, there is a fly on the screen who hit the scroll bar and it went crazy. Only light on in the house now, so better go to bed before he gets my passwords.)

Comments (6)

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

Mocc, I wish you could send an inch of that rain my way. It was 86ú yesterday when I came home from work. Too hot to garden. Just watering my pots made me perspire. Later I went to a nursery to buy some annuals and helped my sister level her pots. It was 88ú at 7 pm. A nice breeze though and all my neighbors had gatherings. I could hardly pull into my driveway when I returned. Just an inch of that rain would be nice.

Beverly

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bev, I would gladly share because the 5 + 5 inches was a bit much to deral with all at once like that. It needs to be spread out. Now I go tump over the container of bricks before the mosquitos hatch. They love still pools of water.

So far I have not received the order from LOTG which I thought was mailed/sent on Tuesday morning. Oh dear me, it probably is by USPS and today is my only hope for this week. My fingers are crossed. Van Wade shipped via UPS and it came Thursday late.

Breeder's Choice Streaked from Van Wade

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Your Breeder's Choice Streaked looks like my Sweet Standard. Nice! My Sweet Standard is planted in my front yard, in place of a rosebush that was no longer getting full sun. There is a whole bed of roses in my front yard that are declining because the trees in front have gotten big enough to provide decent shade in part of the afternoon. You know what THAT means...Room for another fragrant (?) hosta bed in the front yard!

Hooray for partial shade!!!!

Don B.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the others just now uploaded to Flickr.
    Bridal Falls

Sweet Irene fragrant

I cannot find the Sugar And Spice right now. Drats. Later.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

Nice stuff ... don't forget to ... water ... them after potting.

ha!

those will be wonderful!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Bragu. Hope some of your no-show hosta are simply late emerging.

With the rain, thunder, lightning, wind, we had the fresh green sweet gum tree balls start pelting down so more split leaves on tender plants are due to happen. Here is what a sweet gum ball looks like. Hardwood trees, they lose leaves in the winter, just like the pecans do.