Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowbunny_wi

A new hosta admirer with a newly acquired collection

snowbunny_wi
9 years ago

I currently have a number of hostas throughout my yard that I mostly received from family/friends and I have no clue what they are. Last fall I acquired a large amount of hostas, with their labels, that I did not get planted and am now feeling a little overwhelmed with how to plant all of them. I have a bed next to my garage which is pretty much all shade that currently has one variety that I do not love so I will be redoing that bed with either all hostas or a mix of other shade lovers.

I'd love to see some all hosta beds or even some mixed with other flowers just to inspire me and help figure out what I'm going to do with them all.

Comments (5)

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

This is an early season view of a full shade area on the north side of my house. I designed it to incorporate hostas but also growing in the bed are these:

Brunnera/Siberian bugloss 'Jack Frost'
    Hellebore/Lenten rose
    Athyrium nipponicum/Japanese painted fern
    Dicentra spectabilis 'Alba'/white bleeding heart
    Cimicifuga racemosa/black snakeroot
    Astilbe/false spirea
    Mertensia virginica/Virginia bluebells
    Alchemilla mollis/lady's mantle
    Heuchera/coral bells
    Aquilegia/columbine

{{gwi:198699}}

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

The same bed from the opposite (east) side & later in the season
    {{gwi:212016}}

The slope to the right gets part sun
    {{gwi:196299}}

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

they plant and move easily all summer long ... just get them in the ground ... unless you are a master of pot science ... or want to become one ....

there are 3 parts to a hosta.. the roots.. a potato like crown.. and the leaves above. ..

the crown should be planted AT soil level ... with no roots showing ...

so .. just pop them all in the ground ...

AND THEN START DESIGNING A GARDEN BED ... and if it takes all summer.. fine.. we will move the hosta over to it in early fall ...

this will reduce your feeling of being overwhelmed ... which was the thesis of what you asked ...

what weed above.. may have failed to mention ... is how many years.. it took her design to evolve ... and that is what you are overwhelmed about ...

you know.. the hosta will live.. if you throw them on the driveway for summer.. entirely remove them from your stress level ... but the surest way to not screw it up.. is to plant them in mother earth ...

you dont mention how many you have... but you couple probably put 100 of them in a 10 by 10 foot area ... i would call it a nursery bed.. where it will be easy to deal with them ... while you think up a plan like weeds ...

just make it easy.. by reducing your stress variables...

so it is said.. so it is written... good luck

ken
    ps: after putting them in the nursery bed.. then you have to ID the trees you have .. and decide if any of them do NOT favor hosta.. like the dreaded maple... and then.. you have to define light levels.. then define soil type ... etc ... frankly .. it would take me all summer.. to figure it all out.. and then i would plant in fall ... and that is why a nursery bed would be brilliant...

BTW .. are they in potting media in the pots.. or dirt.. if dirt.. its IMPERATIVE.. that they be planted immediately ... otherwise.. you are going to have severe watering problems in the heat of the summer ...

• snowbunny_wi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I work at Home Depot merchandising for tbe perennial company. At the end of the year I got to take what was left which was hundreds of plants. I wasn't able to get everything in the ground so right now it's been a waiting game to see what survived the winter. So yes they are in a potting soil of sorts. Some of the hostas I still want to get rid of. Thing is I will more than likely get more this fall.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

This is the new hosta bed that I put in last year. It is doing quite well! This pic is from my front porch, where those two bushes reside against, then there is a concrete walkway in front of the hosta bed.

{{gwi:1014074}}
    There are, with a few exceptions, of course, only 4 main types of perennials present in this bed. Hostas, heucheras, grasses (carex & hakone), and ferns. Look at all the color you can have with just these 4 and not a single bloom! And the colors will last for 3 seasons! Can't beat that. There is also some asiatic lilies on the corners and solomon's seal around the tree that was there before I decided to revamp the bed and I decided to leave it. There is also cast-iron plants that are just poking their noses out of the ground after being whacked back earlier this year. They are mingled in the solomon's seal. Some of the hostas are pretty close to mature already, some have plenty of growing left to do. I like to thin out and move, as needed. I do not like the look of an empty bed waiting to mature. Everyone doesn't agree with me on that, but that makes us all unique! You do what makes you happy and have fun with it :)

Edited to add that there will be a lot of height differential when all is said and done in this bed, but it will take some time for the taller guys to show themselves as a head above the rest!

This post was edited by funnthsun on Fri, May 16, 14 at 15:33