Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Squash Casserole flirting with the camera

User
10 years ago

Listen, I gotta tell you, I think that brazen hussy Squash Casserole is flirting with the camera crew.

I' out between showers taking pictures of Sweet Bo Peep and Invincible, and who is stealing the scene with all her bright light, but Squash Casserole.

Next shot she is demure.

Then POW, I get to this third shot, and she shines like a beacon in a wicked sea.

So tell me what you see. Isn't that plant--that brazen hosta hussy--turning up the candlepower, the Kleig lights, and SMILING--hosta must be smiling no reason to frown--is flirting with the camera.......which is what they said Marilyn could do too. Yeah, I guess Squash Casserole is super star material if she keeps this up. Just gotta love dem hosta.

Comments (31)

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

Squash Casserole ..... the Lindsey Lohan of the garden?

sure she looks good across the room, just don't invite her in to the party !
    hahahahahah

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Those Blondes. They do like to be the center of attention:)

Nice plant, thanks for sharing
    Beverly

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

She is blocking 'Invincible'...Why, she's not even a fragrant! Shameless!

Don B.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

I've lost my Squash Casserole; moved her when she got fried last summer and didn't get her location on the plant map. Since she's such a shameless showoff, she shouldn't be hard to find.

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

MadPlanter I can't help it.....

Wouldn't she have been BAKED instead of getting FRIED ;) being a casserole, and all. :P

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Right you are about baked not fried, nice catch.

And MadPlanter, she is truly a shameless showoff, and will give herself away once her leaves appear. You'll take her picture when she turns up, eh?

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Let me update the Squash Casserole spring rush.

I moved the Invincible and Sweet Bo Peep out of her way, because she had them covered. Gave her all the space she needed to be a star doing a solo.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay again, here is Squash Casserole on August 12, a full 90 days after the above picture was posted.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Nice plant, Mocc. I've heard that variety is about as sun tolerant as a hosta can get. Is it true? I don't know; I guess I'll have to get one and find out. : )

Don B.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Wow! She doesn't even have any burned edges.

She's quite the looker!

bk

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Nice pictures. If you don't have room for Squash Casserole - or you need more - try Tickle Me Pink. This one in almost full shade yet glows. (Morning sun makes it even brighter).

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I left Squash Casserole in the same spot all this growing season. She seemed to like it there, so ........

In this spot, she gets morning sun until the day gets beyond the zenith. Then it's just normal light but nothing direct.

One that is in the sun full bore with a break in the early afternoon hours, then sun again when the rays get long late in the day, is Tortilla Chip. I took its picture yesterday too, will look for the shot since I haven't "tagged" all my photos yet. Just wait a sec while I scan for it......

Yep. here it is, and it gets direct morning sun until about 2pm here in zone 9a, with high humidity the usual condition. We are getting a good bit of rain though. I was pretty amazed at how it is doing, since it is not a highly substanced hosta. It is a fragrant, Don, so you might wish to consider it.
    Sport of Stained Glass, registered to Solberg/Zilis in 2002.
    I found this one at Wade-Gatton in 2012....

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just a side note here. It rained a bit, early yesterday, so I went out to take pictures. Before I was half done, not even that much, I was dripping wet with sweat, running into my eyes, and I felt underwater. I could not finish. The rain had cooled things off a little, but the humidity was extremely high. I'm just not able to get out there until around sunset, when the day seems to moderate a little. That is my "magic time" in the hosta Back40, my Moonwalk garden space. But the time is short when I can take pictures. I had to do that yesterday, but it was so lovely I used the occasion to make the walk with my DH, pointing out to him that his great big Avocado had set a couple of seed pods, that H. Sugar And Cream had set a couple of seed pods, ONE as LONG AS MY MIDDLE FINGER. It is a fragrant hosta, and I'm hoping the seeds are viable.

When I told DH that I planned on growing all the seeds from fragrant hosta, his eyes kind of glazed over....hehehehe.

Anyway, here is one shot taken this morning of 'Sugar And Cream' seedpods. Biggest on any hosta I have at this time. I'll be uploading some photos to my Flickr album, so take a look for the ones I have not mentioned on GWeb yet. Give me a few hours to "tag" the ones taken today. I cut my picture taking short, because we have a real frog strangler going on right now, with thunder and such.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here it is October 10 and Squash Casserole looks as sweet and lovely as she did early in the season. All I did was find a good spot for her and leave her alone. She did all the work.

• garden_crazy
    10 years ago

This SC is 5 yrs and is 40". I am ashamed to say I don't have a pic of just SC alone. I missed a few this year.

• esther_b
    10 years ago

A nice-looking plant, that SC. But all that talk about squash casseroles was making me hungry!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

GardenCrazy, your Squash Casserole certainly looks great. I hope mine makes it another couple of years, and continues to develop into a photogenic mature hosta like yours is.

Esther, I love a good casserole too, but this year all our squash were afflicted with borers and we had only two zuccini early on before all the rain began. Not just our garden, but all around, squash were having problems growing and fruiting. Too much rain. Too much humidity. But now we are into the acorn squash season. Oh yummy!

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

Lindsay Low-end and squarsh casserole should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

The thought of the two together makes me want to go to the garden and smash it with my spade.

Thank you sooooo much for inextricably linking the two in my mind.

At least squash casserole does not defy the judges.

I love squash casserole.

LL ... she's the second part of HE ...

dave

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Dave, it's too bad the hypnotherapist who helped Peter Gibbons in 'Office Space' had that fatal heart-attack. He perhaps could have helped you mentally UN-link Lohan with 'Squash Casserole'.

Oh, great...I've now linked Lohan and my favorite comedy together in MY mind. #@$%^*@!!

Don B.

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

sq is a beast here, even in heavy shade, grows big, fast, even faster bigger faster than august moon and other golds

fwiw,

hh

that's a dime on it's leaf for size comparison

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

sq is a beast here, even in heavy shade, grows big, fast, even faster bigger faster than august moon and other golds

fwiw,

hh

{{!gwi}}

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

fwiw,

hh

{{!gwi}}

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

you know, there's just something about a beautiful piecrust leaf shaped hosta ...

dave

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

This Squash CASEROLE is almost 7 feet in diameter and the largest HOSTA that I have. Love it.

• gardens1
    10 years ago

I see you just joined, sunnywood. Welcome! We seem to be having a bit of a run on new members!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Sunnywood, wait till Mocc gets a gander at this one! Wow! How old is Herself? She's a humongous, gorgeous specimen...must be the talk of the town?

Welcome to the hosta forum! Please show us more?

Jo :-)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

WOW THAT'S BIG.

Don B.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Herself! Josephine, you sure called it right......that is a beautimous hosta. I could do with a couple more of the Squash Casseroles, and that way I can spare one to go in the ground. Raised bed of course. And maybe a couple of whiskey barrels for a couple of others. Mine has been troublefree, and it looks like Sunnywood has had no problems either.

Sunnywood, always a pleasure to welcome new life to the forum. Stick around. Winter may be downtime for the hosta themselves, but we seldom take a break from thinking about our gardens. Your SC is gorgeous.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

H. 'Squash Casserole' also hangs on late in the season. Here in zone 5 on October 23, 2013, after several days in the 30s, does not look too shabby. Bernd

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Looks like Tony Avent scored on that one. That one seems to meet his criteria for hosta that do well in the South.

All your SCs are beautiful. Thanks for sharing. (I've already looked and LOTG has it!)

bk

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

one of ours this morning

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES