Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do rabbits eat hostas

Posted by paulsiu 5a (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 23:39

There are too many rabbits in the yard. I see at least two running in the yard. However, the rabbits appear to be leaving the hostas alone. Do rabbits eat hostas?

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do rabbits eat hostas

Yes, the absolutely love hosta. However, they generally will stay away from hosta that have hardened off. They like them when they're just emerging. But oftentimes, there are many other yummies to choose from, so they do choose others.
But in the absence of other yummies, they will eat hosta... even the hardened off ones.

o

If you're following this website, you'll see a very recent photo of a beautiful, big rabbit in a trap waiting to be carried off. We find rabbits destructive. They'll be a challenge for your path.

o

in my experience..

it depends on what you call lawn ...

if the lawn is a monoculture of ONLY grass.. they will browse everything...

on what i call a lawn.. which is former horse pasture.. of which MAYBE 40% is actually grass ... they prefer the salad buffet of plantain.. yarrow.. dandylion.. clover.. etc ...

same with the deer i figure ... to some extent

ken

o

YES THEY EAT HOSTAS. Solely to rabbits in the last year, I have lost (dead)...Love Pat, Jewel of the Nile, Sum of All.

Empress Wu might not make it, but that's pending.

That's about $60 worth of hostas right there.

Yes, they eat hostas.
Gayle

o

In my suburban yard, they only eat the new pips in early spring. They never touch them once they're fully leafed out. It's the slugs that are my true enemy.

I agree with others -- it probably depends on whether there are other things nearby that they like to eat more.

o

They eat the ends of the leaves off of my hostas, hardened off or not. Sometimes they eat whole leaves and just leave the stems. I sprayed everything with Ropel tonight, tomorrow I'm going to put down the Repellex tablets. I don't find bunnies cute and cuddly at all.

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Mon, May 21, 12 at 12:09

I have a rabbit(s) who grazes my hostas some years. This spring it ate the only two leaves on my newly planted Majesty =( Last year, it did the same to Rainbow's End but left a few leaves for some reason. And a couple years ago, it ate Queen Josephine down to nearly nothing, along with ever single Asiatic Lily I had.

o

The answer is yes,and no. I've had hostas growing around my property and in my garden for nine years,with no problems with rabbits! This year,for the first time a rabbit came in and chewed off some tender ends of my emerging hostas. They have recovered nicely,and believe me there are plenty of rabbits around my woods! I am not worried about it,because we will probably have no attacks next year. The worst thing that happened was the hail storm we had in April,which left some holes in some hostas. Phil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here