Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Do rabbits eat hostas

paulsiu
11 years ago

There are too many rabbits in the yard. I see at least two running in the yard. However, the rabbits appear to be leaving the hostas alone. Do rabbits eat hostas?

Paul

Comments (8)

• thisismelissa
    11 years ago

Yes, the absolutely love hosta. However, they generally will stay away from hosta that have hardened off. They like them when they're just emerging. But oftentimes, there are many other yummies to choose from, so they do choose others.
    But in the absence of other yummies, they will eat hosta... even the hardened off ones.

• tomahawkclaim
    11 years ago

If you're following this website, you'll see a very recent photo of a beautiful, big rabbit in a trap waiting to be carried off. We find rabbits destructive. They'll be a challenge for your path.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

in my experience..

it depends on what you call lawn ...

if the lawn is a monoculture of ONLY grass.. they will browse everything...

on what i call a lawn.. which is former horse pasture.. of which MAYBE 40% is actually grass ... they prefer the salad buffet of plantain.. yarrow.. dandylion.. clover.. etc ...

same with the deer i figure ... to some extent

ken

• gayle0000
    11 years ago

YES THEY EAT HOSTAS. Solely to rabbits in the last year, I have lost (dead)...Love Pat, Jewel of the Nile, Sum of All.

Empress Wu might not make it, but that's pending.

That's about $60 worth of hostas right there.

Yes, they eat hostas.
    Gayle

• frostynyc
    11 years ago

In my suburban yard, they only eat the new pips in early spring. They never touch them once they're fully leafed out. It's the slugs that are my true enemy.

I agree with others -- it probably depends on whether there are other things nearby that they like to eat more.

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

They eat the ends of the leaves off of my hostas, hardened off or not. Sometimes they eat whole leaves and just leave the stems. I sprayed everything with Ropel tonight, tomorrow I'm going to put down the Repellex tablets. I don't find bunnies cute and cuddly at all.

• Eleven
    11 years ago

I have a rabbit(s) who grazes my hostas some years. This spring it ate the only two leaves on my newly planted Majesty =( Last year, it did the same to Rainbow's End but left a few leaves for some reason. And a couple years ago, it ate Queen Josephine down to nearly nothing, along with ever single Asiatic Lily I had.

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

The answer is yes,and no. I've had hostas growing around my property and in my garden for nine years,with no problems with rabbits! This year,for the first time a rabbit came in and chewed off some tender ends of my emerging hostas. They have recovered nicely,and believe me there are plenty of rabbits around my woods! I am not worried about it,because we will probably have no attacks next year. The worst thing that happened was the hail storm we had in April,which left some holes in some hostas. Phil