Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

Inventory Day!

thisismelissa
10 years ago

.... or at least the start of it... and the first year I've used my smart phone for it. The major advantage for me here is that I'm not carrying a clipboard around. So, if I want to pull some tree seedlings, I can just put my phone in my pocket and pull away!

Though I've not completely input all the data from my paper and spreadsheet inventories, I'm really loving the convenience of using my phone for this task.

I got thru about 25% of my hostas today, doing my eye counts. Based on the numbers I input today, I think I've had a huge leap from 2011 to 2013.... I missed doing inventory last year. But with that, I don't have record of where I moved some hostas! Hopefully, they turn up during inventory!

Comments (7)

• User
    10 years ago

Melissa, could you explain a bit here for my tired old brain?
    Which smarty phone do you have? Is this software or an app that your DH wrote for you?

I'd sure be interested in making record keeping easier.
    Congratulations on the new system.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

However you do it , do it. I've been taking yearly photos for years, then Mocc coined the phrase "school pictures". PERFECT. I do mine in May because that is when they are fresh and I count the eyes. Then later I take "other pics for 2013" and tuck them into a file if I have some special reason for noticing them, like the changes in color, or problems. However you decide to do it, record keeping is a good thing (especially as I get older). Right now, I know everyone of my hostas by name, as I talk to the when I water them. But after they go away for several months in Winter, and I move the pots around, I forget who is who. Dated labeled photos win every time, especially if those tags get misplaced or magically disappear for some reason.

-Babka

• User
    10 years ago

Babka, the pictures are important. After each photo taking session, I come in and add tags to the shots after I download them to my computer. That is the most time consuming part of the record keeping. I also try to identify each hosta in a picture, in case I wind up not having a photo of those on the periphery. It also serves as a size indicator.

ONe thing I find helpful in remembering the hosta is to keep the bulk of them with others purchased from the same nursery. If a plant is in the location for Hallson or Naylor, it has to be one of theirs. That also helps to isolate plants when a problem arises, easier to identify and locate all the ones with potentially the same problems. And not contaminate innocent bystanders.

Of course, I then separate out special types of hosta. Right now I have the blues where they get more shade. Plus any others that come with shade recommended....like Brenda's Beauty.

Now I'm thinking of pulling out all my colored petioles for a special photo session while they are so pretty. After which, they can return to their school rooms. I thought of this when I sat looking eye level at China Girl, a tall slender hosta with really deep colored red legs (an Alttara Scheer hosta), and so many others caught my eye as well. Comparing them, their color shade or intensity, would be a good record to keep.

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

moccasin - do they have home forms? 9f for the underachievers, 9a advanced level? Or are they freshmen and sophomores? and PhDs?
    Jan

• User
    10 years ago

hehehehe
    Jan, I read that as an email first, then came to the forum to connect to the thread.....and I had a DUHHHHH moment.

Of course I need a PhD program for the more developed hosta. My DH would approve of that approach. And I think truly I do have a 9f for underachievers. Plus a clinic for the ill among them. You know how that goes....once a case of mites/lice/aphids arises, the whole room needs the cure.

This was earlier in the year, before they all came out of dormancy.

• thisismelissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

DONE DONE DONE!

I can't believe I finished inventory in 2 weeks. NEVER would that have happened on paper.

Ok, I have an android phone with an app that I bought for $5. It's not intended for gardening, though with a bit of adaptation, it works perfectly for what I need. Hubby kept stalling on writing something for me, so I figured $5 was worth it! I had approached the developer about adaptations specific for gardeners. He did agree, but it never came to fruition. So, I continue to use the basic version.

Each individual plant has their own record. I can have up to 10 photos per record that can either come from my photo gallery or taken with the phone's camera, on the fly. In each record, I have the plant's name, location, identifying number, purchase date, source and in the notes section, I have the eye counts or any other information about pest or disease issues.

I've not input all of the past years' data yet.... nor have I taken "school pictures" of each, just yet, but I'm well on my way.... about 15% of them have their school photos taken.

I can sort the entries by name or location. So this means that I can have my list of hostas with me all the time when I am out and about shopping.... and keep me from buying a duplicate (like I did last week before I was done with my inventory).

I'm thrilled with this system. But I will continue to use my spreadsheet as my main data repository. I feel more confident with that technology right now. But I can export my phone's list to use to update my spreadsheet.

Oh, side note, I'll still use my method of taking pictures and assigning numbers them in some graphics software. I assign numbers based on location and this is really the best way I've figured to make this happen.

I should also add, I'm cataloging my other perennials as well so that if I need to buy another of a particular variety, I'll know what I have.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Nicely done Melissa. You are way ahead of me. I've taken the pictures but still have to make notes. I'm too cheep for fancy phones and aps. Keeping records is a nice thing.

Beverly

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022