Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dropped in a new accent plant by the Great Expectations..

Posted by leafwatcher zone 5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 23:43

should really make each other look good as they spread out..

Photobucket

Wow, after seeing the pic online the Coral Bell looks awful, the camera didn't capture it well ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dropped in a new accent plant by the Great Expectations..

Your post is very timely for me. I have 5 Heucheras that I am test driving with GE. I keep putting different ones next to it and taking pics. Walk away for a minute come back and look and say to myself "Nope not a good compliment" lol

I will post a pic when I finally decide. I am thinking maybe another hosta might be better. This is going to be a mixed bed and not my totally hosta garden.

o

Hmmm, that heuchera just disappears next to all those high power lights!

Have you tried Citronella? Or maybe some pelargoniums? The solid bright chartreuse of Citronella heuchera should show up like leader of the pack.

o

A red or light colored mulch will make it stand out more.

o

I find that my dark coloured heucheras are not very photogenic -- they really fade away on film, but they look great 'in person'. Don't know if its me or the camera, but its not the heuchs!
Jan

o

I have the same issue with dark heuchera. I love them and Obsidian is one of my favorites, but there are a number of problems: 1.They disappear completely on dark mulch and rich topsoil. 2. They tend to look like "holes" in a landscape from far away. 3. They get overlooked next to flashy plants like Great Expectations. 4. Yea, they definitely photograph poorly.

I've found that the dark heuchera look best with blue hostas, as they share those cool tones.

And BTW, your Great Expectations are friggin awesome.

o

OK, I tried mostly red heuchera/heucherella. I think I am going to go with Sweet Tea heucherella.

What I have read about this Hosta your plants look great. I do hope it is as slow as people are saying. I am using it in a small area.

This is what it looks like with sweet tea.

Photobucket

o

Those colors do look good together... There are quite a few burgundy types that look nice.. we did buy one of the Georgia peach types.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here