Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellianne_gw

What's my Olive doing?

ellianne
9 years ago

Is this a sport on my Olive Bailey Langdon? Do I leave it? Or dig it up, cut the yellow section out and replant it somewhere? If I leave it, will it come back next year? It must be a good year for sports, my Whirlwind and Touch of Class seem to be doing some crazy stuff too.

Comments (10)

• User
    9 years ago

I vote for your subject being the BEST OF THE YEAR!
    Love the way you say "What's My Olive Doing?!"

That is most interesting. Even though I cannot help answer your question, I'm also amazed at the sporting activities going on this spring.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

she's doing a popeye.. i yam what i yam ... lol ...

there are dozens of names on the yellow version of the siebolbdiana family ... of which i never memorized them all ...

look to the library for olive.. hit the my hosta link above the pix... and look for the YY .. in the right column ..... yellow center/yellow edge named plants ...

yes separate them ... without killing either... and you have a nice yellow ... and olive ...

ken

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Hello Ellieanne! That is a beautiful sport on your OBL!

Last year I had the same thing happen for the first time on my Frances Williams. I removed the sports and potted them. They thankfully survived the winter and now I have 3 pots with 2, 3, and 5 eyes showing. The gold is obvious as smaller leaves have somewhat unfurled already on one of them. I'm eager to see them take on some size.

Go for it, separate it and enjoy your gift from Olive! :-)

Jo

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Kind of looks gorgeous the way it is but will it all go back to one or the other if they are not separated? Quite striking either together or separated! You could call it Sweet pea

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Faye, the name is brilliant! I loved watching Popeye, Olive Oyl, Brutus and Sweet Pea when I was a kid, lol!

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I also would kepp that yellow sport and carefully separate them. This is a good looking yellow! Olive is big with several eyes, so getting cut accidentally into one of her eyes would not harm her much, might waken up a dormant bud..

• User
    9 years ago

Okay, Ken. I do that checking and looking. What I do not see is how that will tell you if the odd eye is a sport or a reversion.
    That is what I mean by not knowing what YOU know from the same process.

Yes, like Bernd says, I'd sure keep the yellow sport. One of my most enjoyable colors to grow. This must be the year of the yellows, because mine are putting on a SHOW this year! Hope I find some yellow sports instead of greens. It is fun to hear and see all the new sports this year.

• hostasmith
    9 years ago

Let me see if I can make it as clear as mud. This is how I do it.

Open the attached link in a new window and open another tab with the Hosta Library on it.

Go to the sports section for OBL. Look at the top where it tells you it's origin:

"Hosta 'Olive Bailey Langdon' (Russ O'Harra/Russ O'Harra Hosta Society 1999)
    Origin: sieboldiana sport"

Go to the sports page for sieboldiana. The only yy, yellow center, yellow edge came from OBL, L.E.W. and Something Else. Something Else is not in the library and L.E.W. looks a little similar, yet different.

Now, if you look at sieboldiana on the Hosta Library it list many sports and seedlings for it. What you are looking for are the sports and not seedlings that are yy. Does it fit the 10' rule? Maybe not, but I say separate it, give it a name for yourself and watch it for 3-5 years and see what it becomes. That is the fun of growing hostas.

Do you get the Hosta Journal? Look at all the new registrations from last year and how many of them are sports. There must be something in the air and water. I have a f. Hyacinthina that is developing a variegated edge and another one that is starting to streak. Plus I have a Revolution that is putting out some solid leaves that look real interesting.

I just want to end with saying good luck with your sport, I like it and have some fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sports Page

• User
    9 years ago

I go to those places, HLibrary and MYHOSTAS.BE and I understand what I read. The sports I understand. The hybrids I understand.

But,.....where in blazes does that tell you anything about REVERSIONS? How does it deal with reversions? Just curious.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Short of DNA testing you DO NOT KNOW FOR SURE if you have a sport or reversion. Just come up with a new name or call it "sport of..." then be happy with it growing in your garden.

Should you decide to register one...make sure it is really different from any other sport of that particular plant. after growing it for several (more than 3 ) years.

We are getting way too may look a-likes.

Like Smithstudios said above...Enjoy what they are doing in your garden.

-Babka

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio