Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
almosthooked

Sagae in the evening

almosthooked zone5
10 years ago

While out before dark I was taking pictures of all my fern and going past Sagae I had to stop and snap one of her/him? I stood in utter awh for a few minutes and wondered when or why I hadn't noticed how big she has grown. I want to share the close up and hope you enjoy my Sagae
Faye

Comments (11)

• chrisware
    10 years ago

One of my faves. I have three of these giants in the back of my front bed. Mine just sat for two years, then blasted off with growth. I keep an extra plant out by my pond so I can divide off a couple eyes each year to give away to friends who visit and beg for a piece of my three front ones. I have actually under planted mine with a small unnamed variegated one too.
    Chris

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Wow! And I thought your friend McTavish had a lock on beautiful photos. May I save that one as wallpaper....please?

-Babka

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Faye: Your beautiful Sagae has just reinforced my feelings that she belongs on the very top of my fave list. If I had a garden plot where I could only plant one hosta I could think of none other than Sagae. Would that not be stunning to have a garden with 10 Sagae hostas with underpinning of trillium or other low shade loving cover?

I wish we lived closer so I could visit your and Myrle's wonderful gardens and view of the lake and mountains. You are truly blessed and show your appreciation by how you embellish your land.

"Oh Canada, glorious and free"! Thank you for continuing to be such good neighbors.

Theresa

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hosta gardens are a joy aren't they! Bakka any picture you see you can use any way you wish and thank you for the compliments. Yes Myrle has really been an inspiration and very glad to have this to share with you all. It is so great to see the growth in just a little over a year.
    Faye

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

I am enjoying the picture of your beautiful Sagae. It is clear why it is in the top 3 of the AHS's Popularity Poll. And yours is an example of that!

• chrisware
    10 years ago

We just took all the tarps off our hostas this morning. My daughter helped pull all the bamboo poles out of the beds. Sum and Substance kinda makes our Sagaes look small now.

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Chris-your post and photo has me confused. You are in West Virginia. Why do you have tarps that you've just removed over your hostas? Also, it appears your Sagae needs to be given much more room. Mine is only 4 years old and is as expansive as my S&S though I admit my S&S has been stifled by moving and vole predation. But it is not small my any means. My Sagae is almost 5 feet across. I have seen mature Sagae that don't need to take a back seat to any S&S variety.

Please don't feel offended by my response. I just don't understand yours. Sagae is a treasure and I don't presume to be the greatest hosta grower in the world.

Theresa

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

Always enjoy seeing your pictures... Thanks for posting.

• Lee
    10 years ago

My Sagae in the rainy day.

• mr_gary
    10 years ago

My Sagae this morning.... you just gottah love her. P.S. Sorry photo didn't load the first time. Gary

This post was edited by Mr_Gary on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 0:51

• User
    10 years ago

Mr.Gary, come back with that picture! It misfired on you.

Mine is in its 2nd year too, like AlmostHooked. It is one of my very favorites, and one of two that my DH asked "what's that."
    He loves it. (And Avocado)

Mine is in a container, so may be restricted but not yet. I'm sure there is a whiskey barrel in Sagae's future! And, Faye, my Sagae is a HE.

Here he is last June 22, 2012

and a week ago, sending up a scape.
    {{gwi:1014435}}

Really really a great hosta