Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Red legged and high stepping

User
10 years ago

Today I decided to take photos of all my RED-LEGGED hosta, which seem like the showmen of the hosta group. It was way too hot to stage all those many hosta in one spot, so I went to each one for the shot. Easy done. Then getting the tags to all my today pictures, took two hours.

Actually, I never realized I had this many with significant coloring in the petioles. And I just realized, I left off Diana Remembered, because its petioles are colored by white stripes around the leaf and down the petiole as well...a different kind of petiole coloration. Maybe I'd find more if I was observant enough.

Here then, are the pictures featuring as much of the petiole as I could while including the rest of the plant.

Major Tom a 2013 addition.

Paradise Island a 2012 hosta, 2 in this pot.

Volcano Island (tetraploid...a 2012 hosta)

Invincible Spirit from 2 sources to compare the red legs

One Man's Treasure

Devil's Poker ....and that is cayenne pepper on it yes

Harry Van De Laar...nice legs

Red Dragon

Red Sox

Totally Twisted

Purple Boots growing tall now

Stephen King....really blood red petioles, name well chosen

Sugar Plum...another very appropriate name choice, those pets are plum colored

Rocket's Red Glare.....wow, that is DARK

Funky Monkey....very changeable but the pets stay colored

Red October

China Girl....she came this year, already tall, sinewy and poised
Her red legs longer than any I've seen with a leaf that size. Like she has on those 5-inch heels and has a date with a short hosta. Attitude, you know what I mean? So China Girl is one to watch, you bet. It's going to be a winner.

Oh dear, I forgot to take Annabel Lee's picture, and this is the only shot showing her legs. Like a Poe heroine, she is a paler version of the exotic China Girl. But unique to herself.

And that is all I got to say about that.
Post your pictures of same or different red legs. I left out my Beet Salad since it pales in comparison to Steve_Mass BS.

Fire at will.

Comments (15)

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

They all look great. Just got my first today and I want more

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

They all look great. Just got my first today and I want more

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

Quite the showmen indeed, ive only a few red pets, but the are some favorites, sorry no pics, ill see if i can snap some tommorrow.

ive had fire and ice for years, most have little red several tho are very brillant, and fire island i just got this year, it seems quite vigorous and lots of red dots on the petioles.

those are some wonderful species you have there, the china girll is an eye catchet for sure!

• Gesila
    10 years ago

What a nice collection of red legged hostas! I remember when I found out some hostas had red stems and starting buying them!

I've been delaying the purchase of Volcano Island until I found something I really had to have. Looks like Red Sox might be it!

Now, I must run to the garden and find my Harry Van De Laar.

Gesila

• kim2_0
    10 years ago

Here's a pic of my new Fire Island. My first foray into "Redness"

• kim2_0
    10 years ago

Another view of Fire Island

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice hosta, Kim. Perfect leaves . I don't have Fire Island but I love the goldish greens a lot, and then the lavender blooms make it a Mardi Gras color combination....green, gold, purple.
    I thought maybe I'd let Volcano Island take its place in my garden.

• dg
    10 years ago

Rockets Red Glare.

Deb

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

I am always amazed at how many beautiful hosta you have growing in pots. I love them all!

I have a problem with ants invading my pots and I put some Cayenne Pepper in them last week and I think the ants are gone. :)

Linda

• esther_b
    10 years ago

OMG, I thought your post was about tarantulas! Was so glad to see it's about red petioles instead. Your babies are beautiful. I am looking forward to seeing my 2-leafed Raspberry Sundae get bigger (any idea how long it will take to look like a normal plant?) and my new Paradise Island.

The 5 new hostas I planted in the Neighbor's Plot seem to be sending up new leaves in the centers. Some of them have dying or crummy-looking original leaves, but all are sending up these pretty new leaves. I hope that means they "took".

Friday, the 6 new heuchies arrived to take their place alternating with the 5 new hostas (one of the 6, "Ginger Snap", was intended for, and was planted in, my hosta garden). They are tiny babies. I wonder how long it will take for them to get a regular size. Hosta Direct also sent me a bonus, "Autumn Leaves" which looks like it's gonna be beautiful.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

moccassin, you are doing very well, I wish I would have those you have and in such good shape as yours. I wish I could hybridize, as a lot of hosta folks are doing, to put red petioles on large yellow leave hostas. You could try that too. So I think I will freeze pollen from the red legged plants this year, because they usually bloom late. Yellow hostas usually bloom in June/July.

I have hosta 'Red October', 'One Man's Treasure', 'Designer Genes', 'Miss Ruby', and 'Red Dragon'. Not all might bloom this year though.
    Bernd

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Berndny, what a great idea!
    One can hope to help bring the next great generation of hosta hybridizers some more interesting genes to hook up with, but have a good time doing it.

On the way to a red leafed hosta is the point where the red petioles become the red veins? Like with Beet Salad, the rim of the leaf is already red, promising potenially ever more red in the leaf. Wouldn't it look great with a yellow leaf? Hope you have some interesting seedlings.

Paradise Island on May 24

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found a beautiful picture of some bright red pets with intense red veins throughout. Won't infringe on the image, but I link to it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beet Salad--for REAL

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

'Fire Island' new last summer, still in a pot but showing off nice legs.

and 'Paradise Island' looking for a forever home this spring.

Jan

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You caught it just right. I like the sun giving a translucency to the yellow leaves, and highlighting the red pets.

I'll be checking my red legged hosta for scapes so I can move the ones with new flowers and pollen close to one another for a little open pollenation.

I always figured the fragrant hosta bloomed late, so I was immensely surprised when Ginsu Knife opened the prettiest white flowers.....a chance to open pollenate and wind up with a red leg fragrant hosta? Hope it keeps blooming long enough.