Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeking pictures of Brenda's Beauty

Posted by moccasinlanding z9A AL (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 23:54

I have one, 2012 was its first year.
Do you have one, at any age?
What is your experience with it?

HostaLibrary says it is a mutation of Gold Standard. It does not grow fast.

It did not do much last year, but this year it seems invigorated. Cannot wait for it to look similar to the pictures in HL.
Here mine is late in April.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeking pictures of Brenda's Beauty

I've had one for several years, this is 2 years ago in April before it was completely grown for the season. This year it is just barely up because it has been so cold. Not a really fast grower for me, and I don't think it gets as big as the one in the HL. Maybe it just seems small next to Guacamole.

Apparently I didn't take a picture last year.

Sandy

o

Hey Moc, I think this was the photo you saw that inspired you to buy Brenda's Beauty.

I was surprised how Brenda's Beauty was in her second year. I moved her several times the first year I bought her until she finally found her home in this pot late in the fall of 2011.

Brenda's Beauty photo BrendasBeauty20120509-1_zpsf410532d.jpg

She's still emerging this year, showing a little bit of maturity to her leaves. She's grown from 9 eyes to 28!
Brenda's Beauty photo BrendasBeauty20130505_zps14aabdae.jpg

o

That's an impressive weight gain Gesila! My brother (the farmer) would call her a 'good converter" lol.
Jan

o

Golly, Gesila, that IS the picture! And I thank you for posting it again. Mine has no leaf markings this year, but it is much bigger.
And it is healthy looking too, which is important to me.

In a way, it looks like a much larger First Mate....color wise at least..
IMG_20130416_132106.jpg

Or almost like White Elephant color wise but not growth habit.
IMG_20130416_132626.jpg

Either way, that's about as much white in the leaf as I can deal with....climate wise that is. I love white leaves, but fulfill the urge with variegated ginger and aspidistra.....

BB is a beauty.

o

This is mine from last year, this year so far it has 6 eyes. 2013 is such a slow start.

o

Paula, I notice yours has the green veins throughout the creamy white. That is an interesting leaf pattern.

Of course, my favorite type of pattern is the lighter middles with darker edges. This has a lot going for it. Hope to see more of yours when it gets going this year.

o

Mine is in too much shade, I think I should move it. Perhaps that is why it only has 6 eyes this year; I checked my records and last year it had 8 so I seem to be going backwards. :(

o

Brenda's Beauty photo update.

Almost wo months ago, I moved her to a location that has more sun and this is her today:

Brenda Beauty photo 077.jpg

I mislabeled the pic and I had to use a 'bubble' to cover up the old name! :)

o

Don't have it but I like it!

o

Gee, thanks, guys, for keeping this pretty thing in mind. Mine is still growing nicely, but not white in the middle like yours. I saw on my notes that it should stay in shade? Sort of I guess it was in sun instead, where no whiting up happened. I took a shot of it the other day, but may still have it in the camera. Here is the most recent pic which has been tagged.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here