Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adayania_gw

Requesting help

adayania
11 years ago

Hi! As I mentioned on another thread I recently bought my first house and it came with tons of hostas, none of which I could tell from a peace lily. (I didn't even know there were different kinds of hostas until this spring when I noticed that some of them looked different).

I've read the FAQ on here and some of the posts and while I am still the greenest of newbies, I want to learn more. So I went on craigslist and found a person near me selling woodland garden plants. I got a bunch of plants that I am super excited about. One of those plants is a hosta that I think looks super cool, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind it is so I can get more of them and if it might have HVX so I can save myself a lot of heartbreak.

Pictures of the hosta are on blog here:

http://adayaniayard.blogspot.com/2012/05/my-new-hosta.html

Thank you!

Comments (25)

• adayania
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I went through tonight and posting a couple of pictures of some of the noid hostas in my yard. I do not know what a single hosta I own is, so everything is a noid, but I am pretty sure which ones are hostas. Although I might be mixing up my hostas with lilly of the valleys. Anyway, if you want to help me figure them out and make nametags for them, here is where the pictures are. If not, I understand, its a lot of work.

Here is a link that might be useful: My sad yard

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Adayania,

If you want an identification. You should learn to post pictures here in the forum and then post no more than 2 or 3 Hostas for identification in each post. If you need more than that then just start a new post. The link below will show you how to post pictures here. It is most helpful if you show us one leaf closeup and then a picture of the whole clump with something in the photo that will help us determine its size.

Also tell us where you obtained the Hosta, how long it has been planted and anything else of use (growth habit, sun exposure, etc). You have some pretty nice Hostas in that album. Try to post a few in this thread.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: How to post a picture

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

I think I got one right! The green one with a whole line of them is Lancifolia (I think - lol)

To place a punctuation mark on Steve's comment,I think one of yours is similar to Fortunei Aureomarginata (but I didn't count vp). Now you can figure out which one I am referring to, adayania. This leaves me off the hook, since I am terrible with IDs, and if no one knows, what have I lost!

What a nice collection you have inadvertantly attained.
    Les

• luckykat13
    11 years ago

Wow what a bonus to get a yard full of hostas when you buy a new home. I'm going to take a shot at identifying some of them. Ok. Here goes. The first 2 pics, I can't see well enough to ID. 3,7,8,+9 is Fortunei Albopicta. Mine look just like this now. 5+6 Blue Cadet. 10 Lakeside Ripples. 11+ 12 Francee. 13+ 14 F. Albomarginata. 15 + 16 Blueboy. 17 + 18 possibly Golden tiara. 19 + 20 not sure. 21-25 Lancifolia. Last on possibly Jack of Diamonds. That ones gonna be big:)

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

I agree with Steve. You need to post them here. We all enjoy IDing hosta, but I don't care for having to go somewhere else to see the hosta. We have several bloggers who are regulars here and they don't ask that.

I fear that I'm being used to up your hit count.

bkay

• adayania
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much Steve, I had no idea how to post pictures directly to the thread so I will upload the pictures to this thread tonight once my toddler is asleep. I certainly had no intention of inconveniencing anyone or doing anything inappropriate.

• adayania
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And Luckycat thank you SO much! I can't tell you how overwhelmed I am with having a yard for a first time and how scared I am to screw up all of these nice hostas. Your IDs will make it a lot easier to talk to the local nursery. Thank you!

• Cher
    11 years ago

adayania you did luck out with some nice Hostas. You will just get more response in posting the photos here the way Steve said. Try 2 per post so everyone doesn't scroll so much and it's easier to identify. It's too hard trying to go to your link and come back here and write one ID then go back and look again. I know you gave your link because it made sense because they were already posted there. I do a blog also but I do post photos here instead of referring there as even I don't want to go look at a link. Just show me the photo. :) Welcome!
    Cher

• adayania
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well truthfully I actually created the blog just so I could ask on here because I didn't know how to post pictures. If I can figure out how to post pictures here it will probably be much easier than doing the whole blog.

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

If I can post photos, anyone can. I may be the most technology challenged person around. I'm sure you can. If you have a baby you're "young and agile", as my grandmother used to say.

Welcome.

bkay

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Adayania - No one is objecting to what you are asking. We are just trying to help you out. You have found yourself in a situation we all would have loved to be in when we discovered the fascination of hostas (or should I say HOSTAS). I speak for myself when I welcome you and hope your interest will grow and you will become a hostaholic and feel at home here.

There is a plethora of knowledge available here and we all enjoy sharing. While I enjoy trips to favorite nurseries as much as anyone, sharing in Hosta Forum offers much more than a visit to a nursery does in respect to "bang for the investment in time"; not to mention gasolene at over $4/Gal.

If you were my neighbor next-door you would have to erect a "scare-Les" in your gardens to keep me away.

Les

• User
    11 years ago

Yep, those are all hosta. You got that part right, straight away! :)

So glad you ordered the Empress Wu. I believe your garden has many spots where it will display magnificently. Plus, it grows fast from what those who have it say.

I have a Paul's Glory, just a week in its pot. I am a container hosta gardener, at this point. I move the pots around a lot, seeking the best location, but also to put those together which are similar and learn to identify their differences and similarities. It is easier looking at them side by side that way.

Pieterje updated a small program which can be very helpful to you, because it has the ability to split window the entire HostaLibrary set of photos. You can put St. Paul in one side, and then call up Paul's Glory in the other. While not all Hosta Library entries contain the stats for each plant in the data base, you can compare photos, and who the originator or registeree was and the year.That can help sometimes.

Here is a link that might be useful: comparing Hosta Library pictures

• adayania
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for being so nice!

• adayania
    Original Author
    11 years ago

First attempt at posting a picture:
    {{gwi:1014595}}From My yard

• adayania
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, here is another picture of the same hosta, just thought lots of pictures would make IDing easier:
    {{gwi:1014596}}From My yard

• adayania
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{gwi:1014597}}From My yard

• adayania
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here you can see its weird in the middle of the leaf and I was worried it might be HVX because despite googling tons of images of hvx, I can't tell what it really looks like
    {{gwi:1014598}}From My yard

• adayania
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know if more pictures is helpful or not, but they are all of the same plant:
    {{gwi:1014599}}From My yard

• adayania
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the last one I took yesterday, but if there is a different picture or different lighting or whatever I need to do to help identify the plant and if it might have hvx, just let me know and I can take it. These are all of the same plant.
    {{gwi:1014600}}From My yard

• adayania
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am sorry for all of the questions, but why do hostas under the same name in the hosta library look so different from each other?

• tomahawkclaim
    11 years ago

I don't think it's diseased, but I don't know what it is -- and I like it. Blue with a wide green edge, interesting. I commented mainly to pop this back up to the top for smarter people to respond. Nance

• franknjim
    11 years ago

The bunmpy look that your leaves have is corrugation. Some variety of hosta get it when they become more mature.

The reason so many pictures of the same hosta look so different from each other is for different reasons. Mainly because of different growing environments, exposure, lighting, soil, water, etc. Another is age. Cameras make a difference too. What a certain hosta does for you may be different than what it does for someone else in a different location planted in a different way with different weather.

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

There are many reasons for the same hosta to look so different. The first, which ken will YELL at you, is how the picture is taken. All digital cameras can be color tweeked, and the less expensive ones are preset for nominal representations of everything from faces to mountains- not particularly hosta.

Some photographers use the built in tinting capabilities of their software to over-state a desireable coloring. But usually it is people not putting in the time to make proper adjustments to attain accurate coloration. Steve and Paul do a great job with photo software, and you can ask them anything. Doesn't mean they will answer, but you can ask.

Then there is the nature of hostas themselves, which vary widely with age, amount of sunlight, soil chemistry, how often it receives direct water, and so on. Many have what is called a "glaucous" coating on the leaf that is a waxy film. This is what gives intense blue hostas their color. This color can wash off over the season with frequent direct watering, or by handling the leaf. Others emerge with one color in the spring and turn to another in the fall. A good example is Paul's Glory. In spring it is a two tone green (dark border and chartreuse green heart) and in fall the heart is a very rich gold.

Some borders emerge almost yellow and slowly turn to almost white while others go almost the reverse way.

This is all part of the ever-changing face of the hosta garden that is to fascinating. Someone referred to your windfall of mature hostas, commenting that the young plants generally look little like mature plants. This change often takes place in the first 3-5 years of life of a hosta if it isn't moved. Frequent moving retards maturity, yet some like Great Expectations and Tokudama Aureonebulosa seem to take a decade to grow up (not unlike some people I know; I am 74 and still not grown up). At least I don't have voles (roughly interpreted as field mice) feeding on my roots, which can cause a hosta so much stress a mature plant begins to look like a young plant, or worse.

If I try to pass on more everyone will go asleep or go elsewhere.

Your hosta looks fine. In my very unqualified opinion it looks like heavy puckering, a normal trait of the particular hosta leaf, that has suffered a bit of freeze. It will show a the peak of the puckers, but in your pic the somewhat ragged right side looks more heavily affected; possibly widnward when the cold air hit.

Les

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

adayania, for IDing purposes don't use flash and also take the picture outside - we are comparing to our own plants in the garden so similar lighting is important.

Shady or overcast is better to see colors than direct sun. A pic of leaf and a pic of whole plant so we can see the form of the hosta is helpful. The pen in pic is useful, but lay it on the leaf so that perspective isn't changed.

Also info about when it was purchased and where may help, but, solid blues and greens can be tough to ID as there are a lot of them.

You mentioned in first post "I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind it is so I can get more of them", we can give you a list of big blues that are beautiful as well as an alphabet of hosta pics from our gardens.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Alphabet 2012

• adayania
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Every time I log onto this website I learn several new things that add a whole new dimension to my understanding of hostas. Thank you all so much! The cold damage isn't surprising since we had a long warm spelled and then a couple of weeks of freezing at night, after everything had come up.