Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

Latest Garden Pics

esther_b
10 years ago

Even these latest pics are now out of date, as the "fabulous" new foam tube trellis and foam-tube-adorned Adirondack fencing are not featured. Next time, guys, I'll treat you to my foam creations meant as a poke in the eye to the co-op administration.

Here we start off with a shot of the main "Hosta Garden Under the Tree", with the sites of the in-the-mail Sparkler and Yellow Polka Dot Bikini indicated. Off to the right is where the in-the-mail High Society will go. In this pic, everyone can see the patently dangerous Adirondack fencing. Why, emergency rooms nationwide are probably crowded with patients who fell on and impaled themselves on such Adirondack fencing!

Here is a shot of this year's "Little Hostas". They are not growing very fast.

What was until recently a strip of dry soil clods is now "The Neighbor's Plot". This pic was taken before the heuchies arrived, which are now planted in the spaces between the hostas. From the left to the right, we have Rainbow's End, Remember Me, the large Paradise Island and in the rear, you can see Rainforest Sunrise (just barely). Not visible in this pic is Gypsy Rose, hiding behind the curve of the Obligatory Bushes.

One of my new ones for the NP, Gypsy Rose:

The corner of my "main garden" featuring my strawberry pot and Easy Does It rose (now in full bloom):

My Nelly Moser clematis blooming (on the old "dangerous" trellis"):

Comments (5)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I am so looking forward to your foam adaptations of these very dangerous weapons. (!) Do they think people will jump up and fling themselves on them to get impaled?

You have worked wonders, and indeed the neighborhood is a better place because of YOU.

Thank you.

-Babka

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Babka, the issue with the trellis was that "in the event of a violent storm, it could be blown into the building and cause damage". If there is barely any surface area for wind resistance, how could the trellis be blown anywhere? I also offered to sink 2 large spiral dog tie-outs into the ground and chain the trellis to them to secure it. Not good enough. Wait til I take some pics of the foam version of the trellis--and find someplace that still develops film.

My main garden is an elongated oval with the clematis behind the Obligatory Bushes, salvia on the narrow end, then the purple iris, various pink shades of geraniums, pink and fuschia dianthus, mini snapdragons, pink and red astilbe, perennial salvia (electric purple spikes!), more geraniums and finally, we reach the corner where the strawberry pot resides, kept company by the raised bed rose-and-callibrachoa spot. The Neighbor's Plot, as you can see, is made up of alternating heuchies and hostas, adorned with some annuals left over from planting the under the tree hosta garden. The under the tree hosta garden is what I can best see and swoon with satisfaction over from my windows.

I just hope that you folks with private homes and obvious acres of land to plant are not laughing at my very small, very urban gardening efforts. Talking about buying 25 hostas at a shot--where would I even fit 25 hostas? Would love to, mind you.

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Hi Esther, Ouch, that is one dangerous looking fence. Was going to suggest you paint some styrofoam balls to look like bobble heads of the insurance guy and stick those on each point. After seeing your pic I'm not sure those points are even sharp enough to do that! Your garden may be small but, it's oh so sweet. Enjoy, WW

• hostafrenzy
    10 years ago

Very nice Esther, a peaceful, green haven in the city. Your Little Treasure reminds me of my Lemon Juice, only LT seems more bluer, perhaps it's the red in the mulch bringing out the blue? In any event, you should be proud of your use of space and artfully arranged plants.

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Esther - It doesn't take a very large garden area to bring a lot of pleasure to a lot of people. You have obviously discovered the formula!
    Jan