Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lakeside Cha Cha difference in 2013/14

Posted by paula_b_gardener 5a (Uxbridge, ON) (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 0:28

I am hoping that the difference between the 2013 plant and the 2014 plant is due to it being such a late spring. Last year it looked so much better. The eye count went down by 2. 2013 there were 20 eyes and this year only 18.
 photo LakesideChaCha13-14.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lakeside Cha Cha difference in 2013/14

Hi Paula, I hate it as well when the plant seems to go backwards...I would be curious to know when a plant does the "new eye" formation. Assuming that it didn't LOSE any of the new eyes, than you might be able to say that the plant doesn't like the location. On the other hand, if it lost already formed eyes in the spring due to rot, etc, than maybe it was just the weather. Hopefully folks get what I'm trying to say... It would be neat to hear from the "scientists" on why/when eyes are lost.

o

Yours still looks good. The last winter must have affected several of my hostas, they got smaller. Some had sad leaves, but get good leaves now. My h. 'Lakeside Cha Cha' was growing bigger every year, except last year it started to get smaller, now even much smaller. I have no voles there, no tree roots, so perhaps a soil condition. I will give it a last chance with fresh soil in a pot.
Bernd

o

When a plant diminishes from one year to the next, that means something stressed it or is stressing it significantly. Most likely it happened the year before, something like drought, root competition, crown rot, removal of leaves from hail or other damage, moving it or a vole attack. There could be other reasons as well. It's hard to know without knowing the cultural conditions and or history of the plant. But something certainly interrupted the normal growth cycle. Usually you can figure it out if you think about it long enough. Sometimes you have to dig it to be sure.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here