Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

if you saw only this one leaf...could you id the hosta?

User
10 years ago

Just asking. Of course, my picture reveals the whole plant. However, I was really impressed that this leaf is on this particular hosta. Wow, it sure is neat.

Chris at Hallsons said that Alex Summers did funny things, but I could not imagine what.

Anyway, here is the picture taken today. I took another picture when this leaf first opened. I sure do like it.

Comments (12)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Beautiful, and thanks for posting that pic, Mocc. I think 'Alex Summers' is going to be one of the traveling mates of my 'Robert Frost' Hosta shipment. 'Unforgettable' as well. If you don't mind, I may crop that pic and make it wallpaper. : )

Thanks!
    Don B.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looking back at the pictures taken this year of Alex Summers, I notice several different patterns in the leaves. He got special attention because he had my first fasciated scape experience.

But here are some others of individual leaves on this one plant.

The latest leaf a few days ago

on May 17, 2013

This one on May 17 also, but I took it to show folks what a saw fly looks like. It might be the leaf which is colored up brightly now?

Do you have any such changelings? Individual leaves which just look different?

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aw, Don, it is a pleasure to have someone like a picture I take....
    You go right ahead..... :)
    Yeah, I got mine from Hallson, as a gift/bonus hosta. last year.
    You'll enjoy it, and I believe will never know what to expect next.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Could I ID a hosta from just one leaf? ....rarely. These things happen once in awhile, but until the same eye produces consistent leaves you only have an anomaly. If it comes back the same next year, separate it and then you have something very, very interesting. Keep watching that one for sure.

-Babka

• esther_b
    10 years ago

If all the leaves were like that weird one, I'd rename the hosta "Pinto". My favorite color of horse.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Like your leaf!

Thank goodness for families that like to sport. Gold Regal gave us Alex Summers, which does the occasional odd thing... but the reverse - Rascal - is the really unstable one. It rivals Jewel of the Nile for having leaves of every-which combo. It really is a Rascal!

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

I don't think I could ID this hosta with one leaf, but I do like this hosta. Look at this flower scape coming! I am looking forward to seeing it open. (I think it is ahead of time for flowering because it is in a pot.)

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my! That scape is gorgeous. The only picture of a hosta flower bud that looks anywhere near that good was one uploaded by Steve_Mass, of I think Beet Salad. It's worth seeing again....hint hint....

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Hello All ... I am from zone 5 in Ontario, Canada. New to forum, obsessed with hosta, own 67 varieties on small property and still collecting! Lol...now I tend to choose miniatures, small and medium sized hostas so I can keep collecting. I thoroughly enjoy reading all your comments and am learning so much!!! Can't wait to join in and share.

10 years ago

That's a beautiful new leaf on your Alex Summers, moccasin landing!! Your hosta is pristine...no slug bites!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josephines67, if you stick with us, your screen name will be out of date in no time! More like 100 would be realistic. :)

Welcome to the forum. Join in the fun. Do not hesitate to begin your own thread. It is the normal routine. More people will know you're here if you introduce yourself with a separate post, especially the other Canadians among us.

Two ways of posting photos. First is the GardenWeb way, by using the "Image file to upload" box at the top of the posting window. You click the "Browse" and look for a single picture on your computer. Me LOVE pictures....we are all Picture Monsters.

The other way is to create a photo account (free is good) at Flickr, Photobucket, etc, but they must give you the HTML CODE which is what you copy/paste into the post. Can't find it? Then someone will help you find its location. With this method, you may upload multiple images, not just one.

Look forward to seeing your garden and your hosta. Have fun.

10 years ago

Thank you, Moccasin, for the welcome greeting! You are absolutely right about the number .. Lol .. Once hooked, never look back!
    Thank you also for the help with posting multiple pics at one time...I'm fairly new to 'iPad'-ing and am learning on the fly...any advice, especially re the newbie thing is greatly appreciated. When I've mastered it, I will post pics of my crowded hosta beds.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor