Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Minuteman?

Posted by paula_b_gardener 5a (Uxbridge, ON) (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 0:28

The leaves are 5" wide by 6" long with 10 or 11 veins and the substance is very good, quite thick and not at all like a common variegated hosta. The mature clump was medium, about 15" high and 24" wide.
My friend cannot remember what her hosta is called and she gave me this bit and I would like to know what I am planting. The clump is very nice with sharp white margins, a great contrast with the green centre. I am thinking that it could be Minuteman - comments or suggestions?
Thanks
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Minuteman?

I don't know what it is but it sure is pretty!!!

o

Yep... either Minuteman or Patriot... can never tell the two apart. Check out the vein counts on both and see if there's a difference? I know I have both, but I just call them all Patriot as I can't tell which is which.

o

I don't have Patriot, so I cannot count the veins on both. I believe that Minuteman is a crisper edge with pure white and the leaves have better substance. This is why I think it is Minuteman and not Patriot.

o

I thought Minuteman had thinner white edges. Could it be Patriot? The ones I have have a very thick leaf.

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 14:34

I think Patriot is a bit more prone to drawstringing in the spring, so I would guess this is Minuteman. We're all just guessing, because it really is hard to tell them apart.

o

Hmmm, well, if you think it is one or the other, I have photo of both together. See if that helps for a direct comparison.
Patriot is getting some edge melt, the Minuteman is not, in my climate.

See what you think anyway.
Hosta12May051

and then Patriot left, Minuteman right soon after arrival.
Hosta12Apr280

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here