Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bragu

top 10 in my garden: 2014

bragu_DSM 5
9 years ago

Here it is folks, the return of a fave thread, fast forwarded one year.

please post pix

enjoy!

dave

Comments (64)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Prairie Sky:

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Christmas Tree:

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Dress Blues just keeps getting taller and wider:

That's ten.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 20:21

• User
    9 years ago

Funn, when you showed your Summer Lovin I thought AHA.
    That is the one to go as third man in the trio of Luna Moth, Goodness Gracious. You know, the wide wide yellow margin and the more narrow darker green in the middle? I'll have to move my three together and see what happens.

Oh all beautiful stuff going on here.
    This is SHOW AND TELL TIME!

I know I'll be back to edit this.

[LATER SAME NIGHT]

DDonna, I missed first look you had Ginsu Knife, so another fragrant. You sure are "one of us".....:)

Don, that Big Daddy is too perfect to be real. I don't think it has a hair out of place. What a hosta! ..... Then there is your Yesterday's Memories, aren't those Squash Casserole family members something else? And let me tell you, give that boy some SUNSHINE! He can take it. Just give him water water. By next year you'll have a huge surprise and we'll have a repeat of the raving I did about mine THIS year. I have almost all of Squash Casserole's sports now, and they are all good performers. Even new Wave Runner is taking to afternoon sunshine and showing no signs of burn or wilt. If they can do it here, they sure can do it in thin aired Colorado. You know you have room for them. Next year you can bet I'll be saying to you, "I told you so." :)

[EVEN LATER SAME EVENING]
    Funn, your post is after this one, but what the hay....I made a note so I'd be sure to take the picture of Goodness Gracious, Luna Moth, Summer Lovin. Mark this ease of moving things around as a big plus for potted hosta.

And Don. I really must say that I think your Invincible looks really cute leaping there. It might not be a big mounding plant, but it is a great hosta with many fragrant progeny to its credit. Yours looks perfect! I took mine's picture yesterday, along with Invincible Spirit. This is the best mine have looked too. AND, they are both sending up scapes.

Invincible Spirit

Good show everybody! Keep them coming.

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 22:22

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Ooooooh, Mocc, great idea! Take a pic!

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

Don - If that's your foot in the photo, your Guac is really getting big. Your hosta are doing fabulous. All the photos are exquisite. Mocc, your new camera or whatever you're using is wonderful. I can see a big and good difference in your photos.

Can you believe that the almost 4 ft Ginsu Knife has only one lousy bloom this year!!??!

DD

• User
    9 years ago

DDonna, I wish your Ginzu Knife had shown off his blooms better. Maybe another scape will appear soon.

I have two Ginzu Knife, one was a gift from Van Wade with an order last year. So I have two and they are both blooming now.
    Nice size blooms. Things in the fragrant family are beginning to pop right and left these days. But still with Mama plantaginea and Aphrodite, Athena, Venus, not a sign of a scape. They are such drama queens!

Here is GK x 2 in bloom, with Dan Patch on the left also in bloom.

And thank you for the nice comment about my photos. I cannot hold still, that is one problem. I reset my Nikon Coolpix to the default settings, and I suppose that helped with it. And the new Galaxy S5 smartphone takes 12mp shots, but I'm still learning it. I stopped using the Kindle Fire HDX because it gave a cold rendering of the gold colors. Haven't figured how to correct for it. The idea was to be able to take the shot and immediately upload from the garden to Flickr. Oh well. it is not working so far.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

Beautiful hostas everyone! My list grows longer. If only I had more space, and I'll take a groundskeeper, too. :-) Here's some of my favorites right now....

Atlantis

Risky Business

Piedmont Gold

Empress Wu

Satisfaction #2 has grown huge this year.

Royal Standard

Yellow Splash Rim

Astilbes, a nice hosta companion (So pretty, I had to throw them in)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Thanks, Mocc. I really, really love my Big Daddy. Maybe the best seven bucks I ever spent. Except maybe for Spring Fling. And Silver Bay. And Christmas Tree. And...

That's my size 11 in the bottom of the pic, DD; I do have two masses of Guacamole planted at the side of my house, and in the front yard; All of 'em were severly shredded by hail. The one in the pic is the first Guacamole I bought, and it escaped damage because it's planted over where I have all my other fragrants, under the pines. It's the only really pic-worthy Guacamole I have at the moment.

Great pics, everyone! More more more, please!

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

This is where my undamaged Guacamole is, DD. Hanging out with it's parent and progeny, and cousins etc. I just moved that little Diana Remembered out from in between Fried Bananas and Guacamole. Put it to the left side front of the bed, where it won't be overwhelmed. Plus, it can now easily be seen. They're fun : )

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Silver Bay has been great for keeping it's color long into the season.

Don B.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Here goes, first is Alex Summers which has really had a leap this year.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Blue Angel, one of my first. Always gets raves when I have visitors.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Sumsational

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Here's my Paradigm.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Ice Follies made a leap this year.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Guacamole taking a little sun.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Earth Angel

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

St. Paul

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Lakeside Ripples

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Great Expectations

• User
    9 years ago

Hostahosta, you nailed it with Great Expectations as the final image. It is a happy looking plant.

Alex Summers is spreading out in the ground. I might need to consider him for the few spots I have available to plant, because mine is looking for bigger quarters as well. Not as lovely as yours though. And mine was a gift hosta from Hallsons.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Oh my what lovely hostas!!! I'm impressed. Mine aren't worthy of sharing!! :( :( :( Those that are nice I don't know their names!! :( :( sad.

I'm learning slowly!!

michelle

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Michelle, post away with pics of yours, we all started the same place. What's your favorite in the garden?

Paul

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

My top hostas RIGHT NOW are:

Atlantis

9 years ago

Brother Stefan

9 years ago

Cerveza

9 years ago

Earth Angel

9 years ago

First Frost

9 years ago

Patriot

9 years ago

Striptease

9 years ago

Paul's Glory

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Wow hostalady nice plants. But Don mine aren't as nice as all you guys....and I may not know names!! Groan!! I'm a beginner that tried keeping names but tags kept disappearing. Trying again.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

OK Don I am posting some hostas....but they are all the old style kind nothing with fancy names, those are all too small. This blue colored hosta I have no idea what it is. excuse the broken leaves, they were stepped on in spring. Beside him is a gold standard

• hostacats
    9 years ago

This is Aureo Marginata

• hostacats
    9 years ago

This one I have no idea. The picture does it no justice, but its a very lime green hosta and actually really pretty. dream Queen behind it

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Blue angel that is in the wrong spot for sure.......and small hosta no idea what it is.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

My still young empress wu

• hostacats
    9 years ago

fire and ice which I think I will always like.
    Irawon...the plant next to this is that geranium that wilts in sun.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

minuteman, and behind him is albo marginata, a halcyon very lower left corner with the lady bug....the others I don't know

• hostacats
    9 years ago

wish I knew.....its pretty but don't know the name but I think the green and white one is patriot

• hostacats
    9 years ago

I thought this was a halcyon but it doesn't look like the other ones I have, so I don't know again

• hostacats
    9 years ago

I think this is guacamole but again I'm guessing. The leaves at lower bottom are august moon though!!

• hostacats
    9 years ago

A nice green hosta with no name again

• User
    9 years ago

Pretty plants there, Michelle.
    The gold one with Dream Queen could be August Moon. I say gold, then there is this description of August Moon, " large, round, lime-gold foliage on this plant is nicely textured. A classic! Soft lavender flowers." When it blooms are the flowers showing lavender? Anyway, it easily could be. A highly popular hosta for many years.

I don't have Fire And Ice, but I can see how you would really enjoy growing something that beautiful. My white leaves look awful.

About the Empress Wu. My plant is in its second year and it looks different from yours. I'm not sure you have an EWu. If it is a variegated leaf, it is something else besides Wu.
    Mine has sort of fat heart shaped leaves and is fairly blue green.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Moccasinlanding..good point on august moon, why didn't I think of that. I have some in my yard, but smaller...so I'll compare, but I think you are correct. The other ausust moons I have is from moving a clump on year and dividing it into a few......oops...
    I love the white leaves on hostas, so fire and ice will always be a favorite. I have a fire and ice that still has its tag, but leaves are all dark green...no more white.
    Man my empress wu isn't a wu??? Its three years old......all others died......one looks funny and one is barely surviving, the tiniest shoot is emerging. So this was my only promise. Wu is not liking it here.
    This is the other funny looking wu supposedly...stepped on in spring

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Do you recognize any of the others?? Could my wu be a komodo dragon??
    By the way moccasin like the bamboo

• User
    9 years ago

Michelle, do not know about the Wu. It does look different, almost not like a hosta at all! :) (the last photo above).
    Maybe next year if it emerges without being stepped on, you can see what comes up.

I like bamboo, it makes great garden stakes. This is clumping not running bamboo, it just gets tight packed and does not send out invasive runners. I have another clump which is 2 inch diameter canes and they grow about 20 feet tall. Also clumping, not invasive. Great fishing poles.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Hostacats...to clarify.....you say Aureo Marginata of which there are several....yours is Fortunei Aureomarginata. Another favorite is montana Aureomarginata which if you have room is a wonderful large hosta.

If you want IDs, it's best to start a separate discussion.....and then limit to 2-3 in each discussion. Many posters will check back in a older thread a few times and then not revisit.

Paul

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice Paul......I will do that then since I started this. Since I'm a beginner are these old time favorites still ok???

Moccasin, the bamboo is great and I believe you in garden stakes I have to buy them...... my mother in law once had bamboo growing in an atrium but that's all you'll get here...just potted plants inside.