Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnydaysrainynights

I.D. please

I bought this hosta at Walmart and it was labelled "Wide Brim" which I knew it wasn't. I thought it was different looking than my other hostas due to it's streaks so even though I didn't know what it was I bought it anyway because I really liked it. Does anyone know what it might be? Thanks!
Jason

Comments (9)

• sunnydaysrainynights
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another picture of the whole plant. Well, this is actually half of the plant. It was so huge that I split it into 2 clumps.

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

This hosta has Hosta Virus x (HVX).
    It should be dug up and thrown out.
    Any tools (shovels, etc) should be cleaned with Lysol or bleach to avoid the spread of the virus to any other hostas you may have. The spots you planted in should also not be used to plant another hosta as there is a risk that the virus will be transferred to the new plant.
    There is a lot of information online about HVX if you Google it.
    Vanessa

• jimr66
    9 years ago

Yes, the plant is a diseased disaster, It should be chucked. There is no cure. Exactly as hippieindenial said.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Concerned that those streaks may be Hosta Virus X (HVX). Link below.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: HL: HVX

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

I second (or fourth!) the HVX diagnosis. You have to toss both divisions. Sorry for the sad news.

• sunnydaysrainynights
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh that stinks! I have it planted with Queen of the Seas. Am I to assume that I have to get rid of that hosta as well???

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Depends on if any plant sap from it got on QOS. The roots might have come in contact, and any broken root on the diseased plant can spread HVX. If they're close together, carefully spray the bad plant with roundup, avoid touching it until it's dried up and dead, and then remove and burn. If you dig it up, you might break roots and infect QOS, assuming it isn't already. Don't panic, it doesn't spread like the Black Death. There's a good chance your Queen is fine.

• sunnydaysrainynights
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had them planted close enough together that the leaves were touching so I didn't want to take the chance. Thank goodness I had to dig grass out to plant those 3 and that they weren't planted in with my other hostas. So here's what I did: Pulled those 3 plants out. Placed them in a black garbage bag. Went through the dirt and also trashed any broken off roots I could find. Trashed all the mulch. Put down new top soil and put down grass seed. It was just a small spot with grass there originally so it wasn't too hard to do. Nothing else will be planted there again. It will just stay grass. Would have been a lot worse had I planted that hosta in with my others in my main gardens. I'm really glad I had run out of room. I then threw away my garden gloves and scrubbed my entire shovel with a ton of Lysol. I think I covered all the bases. I am taking the garbage bag to the dump. I don't have round-up and I have no place to burn things so I did what I could with what I had. Thank-you all for letting me know. I had no idea. I'm so happy that I posted that picture last night before I went to bed. They hadn't even been planted for 24 hours so I'm hoping I caught it quick enough. I still have my receipt so I'm off to Walmart shortly to tell them what happened and hopefully get my money back.

This post was edited by sunnydaysrainynights on Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 18:17

• sunnydaysrainynights
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got my money back from Walmart. No more flower shopping there! LOL Went to another store and picked up another Queen of the Seas and had to get two more (of course) to replace the diseased one that I had divided into two so I got Vulcan and Blueberry Muffin. Off to plant them now using a different shovel, new gloves and nowhere near where the diseased one was. Thanks again everyone!

This post was edited by sunnydaysrainynights on Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 18:14