Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafwatcher

Its DFrench200's fault !

leafwatcher
9 years ago

There I was minding my own business. I have been good at properly spacing Hosta ....well at least thats what I tell myself and anyone that will listen..

I suffered some losses in pots , and brain function this winter.. but the Hosta were replaceable....

I ventured to my super secret local seedling/breeding facilities and bought the necessary plants to fill those spots (note to self will be walking by these for 3 years thinking grow, GROW DANGit!)

Then it happened... I read DFrench200 's post.. and they use that word , or I guess its a name ... POWDER KEG ... why? WHY? did they do it?

We all have that one Hosta we passed on, the one that haunts us in the garden, in dreams, on message boards like this...
WHY . .....

Suddenly I remember my wife repeatedly asking me to trim back the Korean LILAC a bit.. Oh, from a year or three ago.. Yes ! she is right it does need it now that it has just flowered.

Why heck..what is this? those branches really do lean forward at a very unhealthy distance and angle.. if that was my back I would be in agony ! Obviously The soil now uncovered needs amending and prepped to a nice texture that makes you want to reach down into mother earth and bare out new types of Hosta you don't have yet, Hosta like POWDER KEG

Now with the ground prepped and me shaking like a junkie with a needle in my arm I go to the web, that catalog of dealers ..Grams? Kilos? that means nothing to me man.. give me eyes ! big thick ones ...eyes far as the ..EYE can see..
... DFrench was right ,there is a Powder Keg, and a Brother Stephan ..why? because that cruel Mistress Winter took mine away ! And hey there is a Paradigm! I once heard a great joke about nickels... throw that on my order too...Don't wait up for me Honey...I'll be right home.

I was doing so well...

My name is Leafwatcher, I am a Hostaholic....

Comments (13)

• Gesila
    9 years ago

LOL!!!!!!!!

I lost Powder Keg over the winter. I'm trying really hard not to order another one, because, as well all know, you can never get just one!

Gesila

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Leaf watcher, hilarious post! Thanks for the lols...off to ogle Powder Keg..

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

i can relate to the shakes and the needle thing. sounds like an insulin push ... after an accidental sugar binge ... by a diabetic. hostas are so sweet!

dkB

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

LOL...you made me laugh! I did the same thing the other day with On Stage. Mine died over the winter and then I see someone on here posting a picture of it. I immediately went and found a seller who has it in stock and bought it and two others just because I could and I have no self-control.

Linda

• User
    9 years ago

Leafwatcher, very entertaining. I enjoyed reading that one. Have you found your Powder Keg? It is a streaker, and I got mine from Avalon delivered in mid May. Brand spanking new to the family.

Taken a week after arrival. May 20, 2014

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I did get my Powder keg ordered.. And the way its raining outside I will have trouble keeping my Powder dry once it gets here !

Hey did anyone see that new icon floating around out there?

• rosie742001
    9 years ago

Okay, I can truthfully say it is Leafwatcher's fault.I sent in a short order to Naylors today and I still have a load ot get inpots or the ground. But then I saw lw's post and saw H. Powder Keg and Holy Crow it is gorgeous! So now I have to go looking for it!! Does this madness never stop?In my defense I have to say I lost a few and they were favorites and I had to replace them (of course)!I do get into alot of trouble on this machine. And you folks are such enablers and I am so weak and these beautiful plants are so addictive and and I have lots of room!!

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If the leaf size and texture on Powder Keg are even similar to Powder Blue when mature !!! it will be astounding...

sorry I corrupted your self control Rosie ;)

• User
    9 years ago

Well there you go Rosie, you have lots of room. And lots of room is a terrible thing to waste.

Good new icon, Leafwatcher. I like it.

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hahaha, I was trying to decide weather to make the moccasin LANDING like an airplane ;)

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I got a h. 'Powder Keg' from Jeff at Land of the Giants several years ago as a freebie when buying other hostas. Then that hosta disappeared, I thought it died over a winter. Now it is there again, though mine is a little wavier than shown on the Hosta Library pictures. Bernd

• User
    9 years ago

Leaf, originally I chose the name for my cottage on the bayou, so that there would be no uninvited guests while I was away at work on the boats. The moccasin I drew was a snake crawling out of the bayou into the tall grass of the back lawn. I had up a sign, "Welcome to MoccasinLanding. Please don't feed the snakes." In the years I lived there, never had anyone mess with my property. It did look "snaky."

• dfrench200 (7a)
    9 years ago

Any time! I'm glad I can help!! LOL!