Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paula_b_gardener5bon

Spin Out bags

Last Friday I posted a message asking about anyone's experience with spin out bags (copper hydroxide). Some folks kindly gave me what knowledge they had and I was encouraged.

Today, I finally tackled a problem spot in my yard. I have high hopes for the spin out bags to work in conjunction with pots. This area is directly next to a large red maple.

Initially when I moved here and began this garden (spring 2010), I didn't know any better and I thought by raising the bed that would give the roots of my hostas more space because the roots of the maple would be lower down. I didn't know (stupid, I know) that the roots of the maple would grow up!

Needless to say, I lost a couple of hostas and then I moved the rest. The only one I left was an Undulata, which hasn't grown much but it is alive. Last year, I tried contractor's grade landscape fabric under the Tokudama, it survived but it didn't stop the roots.

My theory is that if I can get them to grow in nursery pots in the ground then I have expanded the area available for my hostas! This is a good thing as I have over 20 in little pots waiting to be planted...somewhere.

Time will tell. I bought 5-5 gallon and 8-10 gallon bags. The crazy thing is that the bags are manufactured in Quebec but I had to buy them online in the States and pay $31 to have them shipped here! Once the hostas were in the pots, I trimmed the extra fabric to the level of the top of the nursery pot. I then used the leftover bits to set underneath the ceramic pots that I have on that bed, copper side down.

It was a lot of work digging just three holes, when my DH got home from work, he got out the Sawzall and finished the job. He cut out some roots to make the space that I had dug, wide enough to put the pot into.

Regarding medium, perhaps UK or Mocc or McTavish?? I used some composted bark, Miracle Grow container mix, and compost - will this suffice for long'er' term growth?

The Todudama and the Undulata - the last two standing. The 8 gallon pots are ready to go.
{{gwi:1015639}}
The area to be tackled
{{gwi:1015640}}
Smooth Sailing in 5 gallon
{{gwi:1015641}}
Tokudama in 8 gallon
{{gwi:1015642}}
Twilight in 5 gallon.
{{gwi:1015643}}
{{gwi:1015644}}

From what I have read on here, it is best to move the pot up in size with the hosta, and not put the hosta in a large pot to begin with. Tomorrow I will carry on and spread the mulch and add some finishing touches - as you can see in the last couple of photos, it was almost dark by the time I went inside.

Comments (7)

• User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

PaulaB, I'm not a person with much (make that NONE) experience with in-ground hosta. Just with container hosta.
    What you mention as your mix sounds good to me.

I use MiracleGro potting mix, WITHOUT THE MOISTURE RETENTION. For this spring, I've also begun to use crushed crab shell as an additive to feed the good nematodes and bacteria that will then eat the bad nematodes. It surprised me to find that the 50 pound bag of Neptune's Harvest crushed crab shell--purchased from Neptune's Harvest in Glouster MA--was actually a product of Canada. So you may find the same crushed crab shell in smaller bags up in Canada....unless it is another case of spin out bags made in Canada, sold in the US, and shipped back to you in Canada. Value added I suppose? :)

Now, my DH is adding the crushed crab shell to his veggie garden...I mean, that 50 lb bag is going to last a long time.

And I expect the potting mix will last for a couple of years at least. Until the hosta needs to be repotted is what I anticipate. That is why I hope someone else can speak up here, because I haven't grown hosta long enough yet to even NEED to repot...except for my Sum And Substance, which is about to eat its pot. I'm going to try it in the ground pretty soon.

Your potting and planting work should pay off. They sure look nice in their new homes.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

I am very interested in this topic as I too have many roots in my garden. I have also begun to use buried pots or spin out bags. Unfortunately, it has not been long enough for me to be able to comment on their effectiveness.

I am concerned though when you say that "I trimmed the extra fabric to the level of the top of the nursery pot." I believe that McTavish also mentioned that she cut the top of the bags for a better fit. I hope that you have retied the seams that have been cut so the roots cannot force open the seams. I think that the roots are very strong and are waiting for any weak point so that they can enter the bag.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Moccasin,
    These are container hostas and I have just buried them in the ground (in the containers). I think I may have made a mistake and got the moisture retention one. I will check tomorrow and if I did, I will buy some of the non retention and add it to 'dilute' the mix I have so I don't have to waste it.

newhostalady,
    I have several hostas that I have grown in 10 gallon containers for at least four years. A couple of these include fairly large ones like Jade Cascade, Earth Angel and Krossa Regal. They are all healthy and thriving so that approach has worked so far.
    Pots were used not just for roots but in case I wanted to move them around and this way, I don't disturb them.
    I wanted to test the spin out bags to see how effective they are because the hosta roots can escape the water holes or the maple roots can enter them. Generally what I do is lift (well my DH) lifts the pots up a couple of inches in the spring to break whatever roots have creeped in or out.
    Regarding retying the seams, I am not sure what you mean. I trimmed about 3 inches off of the top all of the way around the top of the pot. If you look at the top pic, you can see how the fabric is higher than the pot - I cut of the extra so it is level with the pot. I left the plants in the pot which is covered with the bag. I hope that is clearer than mud! lol

• old_dirt 6a
    8 years ago

Thanks for the update, good to hear the success. I need to try this also. If I would quit buying more hostas, I could probably afford to buy some of the bags, lol. I'd like to find a local place to buy them from and avoid the shipping charges.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    8 years ago

I've had good luck with reversed spinout bags. However - I've had some problems with crowns rotting in winter. Apparently bags don't drain as well as plain dirt. Now I'm mixing in minibark nuggets to lighten the soil. (Menards has teensy tiny minibark nuggets that are useless as mulch, but are so small they make good soil conditioner.)

Also I've had problems with the roots of the hosta sticking to the inside of the bag. It can be very hard to get them out when it's time to re-pot. Still, for the ones that were getting choked out by tree roots, they're a lifesaver.

The pre-made bags are designed for trees. They're too deep for hostas, and they could be bigger around. Wish they made short fat ones!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    8 years ago

As you mentioned, they are for trees so I cut the top off of the bags to make them shorter so they aren't as deep and I also used bark nuggets and vermiculite. To get them out to repot, I put a pot inside of the bag so the hosta slides out when I want to change the pot or move them.