Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bchosta

Recent Shots

Here are some shots taken within the past week
First up, Autumn Frost. I've posted others before, but here I've combined all three plants together.

May in BC generally witnesses lots of precipitation! Great Expectations.

A combination of Emerald Tiara and Restless Sea.

Two smaller attention grabbing hostas, Island Charm and Trifecta

Last, but not least, a favourite of mine, Orange Marmalade.

BC

Comments (18)

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Very nice photos and hosta.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Very nice, thanks for sharing your hosta pics.

Paul

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Very nice, thanks for sharing your hosta pics.

Paul

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

BChosta, these pictures are stunning!

AF's blue is amazingly dead-on against its background colour.
    GE with water droplets begs to be framed also. That perfect leaf is prime example why we are so captivated by this hosta and it's colours!
    ET and RS look very nice together.
    LOVE Island Charm! Adding to list! Does it's centre lighten up during summer or does it remain the same?
    Have Trifecta - yours must be more mature because I notice the leaves are longer. Mine was new last year with all shorter leaves, almost perfect little triangles, lol
    OM is the most beautiful specimen these eyes of mine have beheld. It is absolutely stunning in its perfection. May I copy it to my folder?

BChosta, thank you very much for a beautiful start to my day! Aaaahhhh.... Your hostas are exquisite and your photography skills are apparent! :-)

Jo

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful hostas and pics. Thanks for sharing.
    Orange Marmalade is a stud....perfect!

• timhensley
    9 years ago

Well I am impressed. My Trifecta put out a few green eyes but kept shrinking. It's only one small eye now. Island Charm started shrinking after the third year. I only have one plant left and its pitiful looking. Keep doing whatever it is you're doing. Beautiful plants.

• woodnative
    9 years ago

Very artistic photos of photo-worthy Hostas!!!

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Really lovely photos. I have been trying to restrain myself from purchasing more hostas---but your Autumn Frost and Orange Marmalade have pushed me over the edge---they are now on my must get list!!!!

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Beautiful hostas captured perfectly with excellent photography!

Gesila

• User
    9 years ago

I just got an orange marmalade this year. I can only hope it turns out as beautiful as yours.

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Josephines67, with regards to Island Charm, the middles certainly do lighten up over the summer months. I've included a picture of the plant last year to illustrate the point. I've read that the plant can be tricky, and that Fantasy Island grows better since the margins are wider. This sounds very reasonable. I do have a Fantasy Island as well, but it suffered a setback a couple of years ago now, and though it's making a good comeback, it's hard to compare their growth side by side given that IC was a much larger plant when I bought it. I've had the plant three years now - hoping Tim's comment isn't a forecast for its impending demise!!! - and it had numerous eyes upon purchase. It might be pertinent to look for a decent sized hosta if you decide to track one down. Perhaps acquiring a more established plant will give you enough of a head start to keep it going.
    BC

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Lovely photos, thanks for taking the time to post them for us to see.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

BC, it was thoughtful of you to provide a pic of its summer colour, thank you. Likewise for the additional information about it and the heads up about a heftier size to begin with. This is all good to know and to consider.

Your Island Charm is really "charming"! :-)

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Well, I just won't be able to post any more pictures....I feel so inadequate,,,,,,,thanks a lot.........Sigh!

Jon

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

BC, nice hosta. I agree, that is probably the nicest Orange Marmalade I've seen.

Unfortunately, mine has gotten really small and sad.

bk

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Bkay just took the words out of my err, keyboard...that is the most beautiful Orange Mrm I have ever seen! Thank you for your beautiful pics! M

• irawon
    9 years ago

BC, thanks for showing us that growing Island Charm and Orange Marmelade is possible. Do yours get a lot of sun?

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Irawon,
    Orange Marmalade is sited at the front of the house so it receives direct sun in the morning for approx. 3 hours. I'm hoping that this location will help the plant retain its yellow center longer - stronger sun would bleach it to a parchment/white colour. Island Charm sits in a balcony hanger at the back of the house and gets about two hours of sun at midday.The creamy coloured middles don't really turn to white until July.
    BC