Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abbeyjosmom

I need more suggestions, pretty please! Lol!

abbeyjosmom
15 years ago

Ok, I am still on my quest to find hostas that will serve as rememberance hosta for my loved ones. Not only loved ones that have passed but ones that are still very much a part of my life. I want to put this garden together with hostas named for them or for nicknames of them, and if that isn't possible then ones that are named for something they loved such as a favorite color. As I add each of the hosta in I would like to add things here and there that remind me of them and since I am a decorative painter it will be mostly things I paint in reference to them. I want them to be able to come over and I can show each of them what I have done to keep them close in my heart even when we cannot be together. Celebrating the lives of my loved ones is important to me while they are alive so that they know now and then when they are gone I will be able to reflect back each time I see thier space and hosta in my garden. Im rambling, sorry.

Anyway, this all started with the hosta I found last year in the beginning of my hosta fever named Abby. It is spelled different than I spell my little girls name but that doesn't matter much to me. But so began my quest. One dear soul, sorry I forgot the name, here on GW told me of "Tylers Treasure" as I had mentioned my one son's name is Tyler. I have found it in only one place and they are sold out.... I am crushed because I have to have it and cannot find it. I also found a hosta last night called "Jennifer" which is my dear mothers name. And I found another one which I am sure you all know called "Queen Josephine" because that is what my mom calls my little girl. I found "Cup-o-Joe" as my hubby's name is Joe, as well as my little girls middle name. I also found one "Anastasia" which is my great nieces middle name. Rambling again, sorry. But you see where I am going with this. I have a list of names that I would love to put hostas with and if any of you know of any please please let me know. And if you know where I can find some of the more elusive ones, like Tylers Treasure, that would be awesome too! I would be more than willing to trade or paint for some of them too! Just let me know if you are interested. Here is the list. Thanks for bearing with me and my late night rambling! God bless!

Joe or Joseph

Nathan

Robert

Sheila

Tina

Larry

Jeff

Elizabeth

Brittany

Mackenzie

Kylie

Autumn

Braden

James

Anthony

Donna

Jean

Nicholas (may angel in heaven)

Destiny

Hope

Comments (16)

• summermusicz4ia
    15 years ago

I have a mini hosta named HOPE.
    Have a family hosta bed. Used birth months: Aug Moon, Sept Sun,June) & personal interests:(Quilted Hearts/quilter mom, Winning Edge/softball pitcher, GroundMaster/farmer dad, On Stage/show choir & band, Green Wedge/golfer, Flower Power/gardener. Big Daddy/husband, Green Eyes/me, Brother Ronald/my brother Ronald, Ginko Craig/son, Tall Boy, Scooter/nickname etc.
    Still had space so added Remember Me for those no longer with us. Also, hosta w/love theme: My Darling, Cherish, Love Pat, Cupids's Dart, Faithful Heart, etc.
    Have fun with your new bed!
    Marlene

• caliloo
    15 years ago

Robert - Robert Frost (lots of places)
    Elizabeth - Elizabeth Campbell or Amy Elizabeth (lots of places)
    James - Nicholas James (availble at Jim's Hostas)
    Donna - Prima Donna (Green Hill Hostas)
    Jean - Verna Jean (Jim's hostas)
    Nicholas - Nicholas James (see above)
    Hope - Hope (lots of places)

Good luck! I hope you find lots more of them too.....

Alexa

• woodthrush
    15 years ago

jimshostas.com has Tyler's Treasure listed.
    Pam

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

What a Great idea,i Love it.

I have Brendas Beauty for my daughter, and a few other named hosta for my family,i also have a rock that looks like a chair,my friend had twins, so i placed two round rocks in the chair to signfiy her.She had a pet poodle she loved named Cameo, so i just this year bought H.Cameo.There is no end to how many hosta you can buy and for what reason you Must Have Just 1 More,ha ha

Here is a lisy of places that carry H.'Tylers Treasure'
    1.Avalon Acres
    2.Creative
    3.Flying Frog
    4.Global
    5.Hallson
    5.Homestead Farms
    6.House of Hosta
    7.Jims
    8.O'Brien
    9.Sebrite

Here is the name of a journal you should have since you will be looking for so many different names:
    The Hosta Finder
    checks made out to:
    Green Acre Sales or Steve H. Green
    36 Elaine Road
    Sudbury,MA
    01776----(978)443-8222
    E-Mail:SHGreen@aol.com
    $18.00
    It has almost every named hosta there is,where you can order it, and the price you will pay.

Hope this helps you get going.Have fun.

Carol
    The 2008 edition is available until Nov. 30,2008

• greenguy
    15 years ago

nate the great has been on ebay and the hosta library auction sies (by naylor creek)

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

greenguy, who is nate the great?For those of us that are new here, :0)

Thanks,

Carol

• talynnp
    15 years ago

Carol, Nate the Great is a hosta that is up for auction on the Hosta Library site.....

Tanya

• greenguy
    15 years ago

tanya is correct

i have been thinking about buying one

here is the link to it at the hosta library auction

Here is a link that might be useful: ntg at thl auction

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

ooohhhhhhhh,i had a look,niceeee,

do they have auctions a lot over there?

Carol

• greenguy
    15 years ago

this time of the year they have a lot

i never thought it mattered much if i saw a plant before i bought it as long as i was getting it from a good source but i really like seeing them on the auction sites esp. for streaked plants or ones that can look very differnt from plant to plant

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Hi Greenguy,

Have you bought a lot from the auction?

I need to look into that more, sounds interesting.

So much on this forum to learn, and every one is so helpful.

Carol

• katy122
    15 years ago

What a great idea! Never thought to do such but it sounds like so much fun!!! Gives me a excuse to buy more, my husband will surely understand, right???

• greenguy
    15 years ago

I have never bought a hosta from the hosta library auction but i have bid - so i get all of the fun for free just no hostas to show for it

I have bought a few from ebay but i feel safer buying from the hosta library as everyone knows most of the people selling on there like bob axe., jims hostas, naylor creek. stuart ash, etc

stuart and bob have had some great streaked plants that i have bid on but they went for a lot more then i was willing to spend

not that there aren't great people on ebay also like john but there are also ones you have to watch out for and i would rather not take chances
    hosta library usually offers more hard to find plants and a lot of streaked plants.

I know there was a post that the auctions are from private sellers and not all of the money goes to thl but bob also sells plants there and has to get something for providing the site from each sale so i would rather support that then ebay as thl is a great asset

• bragu_DSM 5
    15 years ago

Have you thought of H. Praying Hands?

• greenguy
    15 years ago

i have made a lot of dumb mistakes but i really hacked stuart's name.

He has been listing a lot of great plants on the library auction site. like the DD he has listed now

below is a link to web page from foosf

Here is a link that might be useful: s.a. foosf page

• playinmud
    15 years ago

I have 'Three Sisters' as a tribute to the bond I have with my two sisters, Glen Tiara for my brother. I couldn't find anything for my other brother Frank, so I bought 'Abba Dabba Do' as a reminder of the times we watched the Flintstones together when we were kids. That hosta is one of my favorites mostly because of the nostalgia. You might also consider hostas that bring back special moments even though they aren't named specifically with a person's name.