Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paula_b_gardener5bon

Today's Haul

As no one I know can understand my excitement, I must share my purchases with fellow hosta people.

Today I went out to a couple of my local hosta places and I found and bought:

Seducer
Regal Supreme
Hyuga Urajiro
Bridal Falls
On Stage
Lakeside Kaleidoscope
Luna Moth
Grand Tiara
Church Mouse
Mouse Trap
Stiletto (for a friend because mine isn't ready to share)

There may be one or two others but that is all I can remember off the top of my head at 1 am! So excited, I can't wait for tomorrow and the weather is supposed to be nice - bonus :)

Comments (12)

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Great haul. Can't wait to see some pictures. Looks like Bridal Falls is a hot hosta that I might have to get. I wonder if this one will grow as good as Niagara Falls.

How great that you'll have good weather to plant them. We are supposed to get thunderstorms.

Gesila

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Hi Paula

I was in your part of the country on the weekend and visited Goldenbrook Hostas. What places should I know about next time I'm 'in town'?
    Nice list of new acquisitions there!
    Jan

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Nice haul, Paula. . .um. . if you run out of space to plant them I'll be glad to take a few off your hands. . .I mean, what's a fellow hostaholic for if not to help relieve a burden of the shoulders of another hosta buddy, ya know?. . .lol
    Have fun, sis, AND POST PICTURES WHEN YOUR DONE. . oh, yea!
    Lucky you!!!!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gesila, I wasn't looking for Bridal Falls but it found me, it is striking, even while young. I was wandering through Paul's garden (the hosta guy), he had it in three different places and I spotted all three. Each one, I thought what a lovely hosta and checked out the name and of course, they were all Bridal Falls - needless to say, I had to have one!

Jan, where do you live? Goldenbrook is wonderful.

Check out Handlebar Hosta Farm, the website is Handlebarhostas.ca and yesterday when I was there, I found out that they do mail order.

Around the corner from him is John's Garden centre on concession 7, just north of Goodwood Road (21). It is on private property and a lovely spot, you would have to know where you were going as it isn't on a main road. John has a 'website' but it is more of a single page, but there are links to his blogs, as I have written before - he is very knowledgeable. johnsgarden.ca He has a full garden centre but with a decent hosta selection. What I particularly like, is at the end of the season, whatever hasn't sold he moves to a sunny ravine and leaves everything there. So I know if they survive the winter there above ground in a pot, then they are good hostas!

Sidney, thanks for the offer! Regarding running out of space...too late, I am resorting to pots and worrying about storage later :) Last year, I buried pots in my veggie garden and all of them survived. Not fancy pots, just the black pots you buy them in. I place the black ones inside the fancy ones in the summer and then bury them in the fall.

Thanks for the encouragement/enabling - always fun to share here on the hosta forum.

Paula

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Paula - I live in London, but occasionally am in the Port Perry area for family events. Thought about you when we drove through Uxbridge last weekend!
    Thanks for the 'local' info.
    Jan

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jan - I have a very good friend who lives in St. Thomas. You will have to let me know if there are any hosta places down that way :)

Paula

• tepelus
    10 years ago

You've got some nice ones there, several of which I have. I love Seducer, she is so pretty and handles the sun well which seems to help bring out her colors more.

Karen

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Karen,

Thanks, I saw Seducer in one of UK's photos and I loved it so hopefully mine will grow half as well as his.

Paula

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I made a mistake, I already have Grand Tiara, I bought Grand Prize.

• chris-e
    10 years ago

Mouse Trap? Oh no, A Mouse that I missed!

chris

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jan,

One other place that is just south of Port Perry is the home of a couple who grow plants, mainly Roses and Hostas. They have a decent hosta selection, the place is called Lamrock's and their website is http://www.lamrockscountrygarden.com

I bought Scugog Rising Star there a few years ago, it is their own that they use to raise funds for charity, unfortunately I cannot remember which charity.

Chris - I love Mouse Ears, too!

Paula

• on_greenthumb
    10 years ago

I hit up Handlebar before they were even open (May long weekend). They just got Bridal Falls in and had just planted them.......I struggled on that one.....LOL I don't have another place for Niagara Falls. Don't you love Paul & Fran.

Our Luna Moths are probably sisters.....LOL Picked mine up in May :)

As for other places (I hit up on in Peterborough last year) called Gardens Plus. She has an area dedicated to hostas......pretty nice drive too

This post was edited by on_greenthumb on Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 13:31

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES