Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
All White Hosta?

Posted by thisismelissa 4b-Minnesota (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 07 at 0:59

Ok y'all, I'm out of options to figure this out.

I was at a garden club sale in mid-May and the hostess of the sale had a hosta that was all white. This plant has been haunting me and I must have it. I've tried googling "all white hosta" and come up with very little.

I did find h.White Feather, but it appears that this changes color to green later in the season.

So, are there any hostas that are all white for the whole season?

And if there are only color changing ones, what do you recommend?

TIA,
Melissa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: All White Hosta?

• Posted by von1 z4 NY (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 23, 07 at 6:07

I don't know about all season, but Mostly Ghostly comes up very white. It is looking really bad right now. Leaves are turning brown.
Von

o

Ghost Spirit is totally white as it emerges in Spring. It does turn chartreuse as the season progresses.

Papou

o

the plant HAS TO TURN green.. or it dies from lack of chlorophyll ....

so its a short show in spring ....

there are 3 or 4 of them ... avent had one ... and the name escapes me.. outhouse delight???

ken

o

My 'Mostly Ghostly' looks 'Mostly Dead'. Not worth the trouble of planting it!

o

There are hostas that are all white in the spring and then turn color as the season progresses. Others don't change color, but have leaves that are mostly white. As Ken said, hostas which are all (or mostly) white are not very vigorous because of lack of chlorophyll. Most would die if planted in much shade. On the otherhand, some will scortch or melt out if planted in full sun. Many are difficult and slow to grow and must have optimum conditions. I think many are slug food also.
With all this said, some white-leaved hostas are attractive and worth the effort. Here's a list of hostas that have a lot of white on the leaf, or emerge in the spring mostly white. Print the list off and spend some time scanning the Hosta Library. Don

PS Let me know of any corrections or additions.

Very White-leaved Hostas

‘Answered Prayers’
‘Brim Cup’
‘Christmas Candy’
‘Christmas Cookies’
‘Crater’s Heart’
‘Emerald Crust’
‘Emerald Eyes’
‘Emerald Scepter’
‘Fire and Ice’
‘Fireworks’
‘Flat Tire’
‘Fragrant Light’
‘Holiday White’
‘Ivory Coast’
‘Kiwi Ice Breaker’
‘Kiwi Polar Bear’
‘Kiwi Spearmint’
‘Lakeside Zing Zang’
‘Liberty’
‘Little Willie’
‘Look At That’
‘Loyalist’
‘Majesty’
‘Miss Moonbeam’
‘Moonstruck’
‘Morning Light’
‘Mostly Ghostly’
‘Nougat’
‘Nouzang’
‘Oil on Canvas’
‘Outhouse Delight’
‘Pilgrim’
‘Queen Annie Lemay’
‘Retread’
‘Shichu-no-Tama’
‘Shironakafu Otome’
‘Show Me’
‘Silver Certificate’
‘Sybil’
‘White Christmas’
‘White Colossus’
‘White Dove’
‘White Feather’
‘White Gold Standard’
‘White Hot’
‘White Surprise’
‘White Trouble’
‘White Undies’
‘White Wall Tires’
‘White Water’
‘Work of Art’
‘Yankee Clipper’

o

Others:

Cascades
Remember Me
Enterprise
X-Rated
High Society

o

WOW!!! Thank you all. I guess I hadn't put on my old 8th grade biology hat to think about the whole chlorphyl business. And it's good to know too that if I do plan one of these whiter hostas, it'll need more than just the minimial sun that my garden mostly provides.
I do, however, have a small section that gets a good amount of dappled sun, so I think that might be a good spot to set aside for one of these wonders.
I'm halfway considering going and knocking on the door of the lady who hosted the sale, just to ask her of the variety!!!

Thank you all!

o

I have an all white hosta that grew along side a "patriot" Hosta...I seperated it and potted it up and it is currently in my greenhouse. All the newleaves are still coming up white...only 1 leaf has a green strip down the centere no wider than 1/8"....I do keep it heavily shaded becasue it will burn. I thought that I would watch it this year and next to see exactly what it does. Has anyone else ever had a "mutant hosta" that stayed true?

Just curious
Vicki

o

"I have an all white hosta that grew along side a "patriot" Hosta"

Vicki...
I have the same thing happening right now. I actually purchased THAT Patriot JUST CUZ it had the "mutant". I was thinking of doing the same thing with it... hopefully someone will have a success to share with us.

Is that officially called a "sport"?

o

There is a new hosta coming on the market this year called "White Elephant".

o

Remember when I posted about this 2 years ago?

Well, I went back to that sale today and the hostess from 2 years ago was there. She told me it was White Wall Tires!

So, guess what I will be buying???

Hers faced west, my location would be east-facing, so hopefully, I'll still have a good show of white!

o

London Fog is very white slow to color up.
Considered a small hosta.

o

i tried hosta 'white feathers' from veseys... no success
gave up on it.

it's still readily available through veseys

on a side note, i have two eyes on 'night before christmas' that start off like all the others and end up completely white by the end of the season. they've been doing this for two seasons now. can't wait to see what happens this year :)

Here is a link that might be useful: white feathers

o

White Elephant is the whitest hosta I have. It's medium-large. It rarely greens up for me. And it grows like a weed. Mine is growing in mostly shade. It gets 2 hours of dappled sun in late afternoon. I give it my highest recommendation.

o
yellow hosta

I need to find a Hosta that is yellow. I need a lot of color in front of a shed. I have seen a lot of pretty yellow Hostas but can not figure out what would be truly a great yellow. I have seen one with curly edges but can not find it again. I need one that is med. to large.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here