Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idiothe

Blizzard - and why you seldom see a very large one...

idiothe
10 years ago

Blizzard is a streaky Sum and Substance plant. It is fun - and actually pretty attractive.

Two reasons why it never gets really large like S&S and the others.

One - it tends to stabilize to an apple green center with a light margin, which is called Winter Snow. You can see some of the leaves trying to become WS. The good news is the divisions you remove will rapidly grow into magnificent specimens of WS.

Second reason - persistent friends will bug you about dividing it until you give in and stick a big piece in a pot and set it out by the driveway for pickup... (you know who your are - big nag!)

Comments (16)

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    10 years ago

Beautiful plant! Doe it keep that apple green all season?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

the hell with friends.. i give them a sellers name.. and dont dig up plants ..

focus man

ken

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

So, it's another example of a hosta that keeps it's streaks only as an immature plant?

bk

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

um, doh!

I think I'm the said "friend" here.

• idiothe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ken - I use judgment about splitting... but I also sell hostas from my yard... and even friends pay... the "nag" is a regular on this forum and her checks are always good - I just made her wait something like three years for this one!

bkay - I think the answer is a kind-of "yes and no."

Let's exclude the oddities - streakers that seem to be pretty stable as streakers. These are few. I've had Kisuji for many years. More recently Swirls is my favorite, though Kaleidichrome and Hyuga Urijiro are also pleasing as they slowly mature for me. If we extend this group into misted and streaky misted, Korean Snow is very stable, as is Allegan Fog and London Fog. Don has a list of these, trying to weed out the unstable ones.

But most streaked hostas are less stable, and one could argue that by their nature, all streaked hostas are confused teenagers with adult bodies... they haven't decided what they want to be.

Here is the official explanation from the hosta cognescenti - current thinking. In simple terms, the margin of a hosta leaf is layer 1 and the middle tissue is layer 2. If the two layers are different colors, and if the layers mix, you will get streaking. As a general rule, those layers are trying to "stabilize" - to move their separate locations. To maintain the streaks, one has to keep removing the stabilized sections.

I wish I could really believe this in total. But too many streakers will "settle out" to all one color or another... like Blizzard will send off some eyes that are all yellow-chartreuse like the parent Sum & Substance (what most people refer to as *shudder* "reversion.") That would suggest that the whole eye has become layer 1 tissue... and then there are the all apple-green eyes... so those eyes became all layer 2 tissue? On some streakers, as they settle out, one part will get a light margin/dark center and another piece of the same plant will get dark margin/light center.

So it is complicated. What we know for sure is streaked plants are unstable... and they are usually more unstable than other variegated hostas, which are also unstable, as they are always capable of throwing us the occasional solid eye.

Is Blizzard by definition immature? I don't know if that's the right term... the leaves will get to full S&S size and the plant has gotten as large as 5' in diameter... I prefer the term "confused." The main part stays a confused Blizzard, while some of the stabilized parts become Winter Snow and I've had other parts indistinguishable from S&S.

Oddly enough, I've never gotten an all-apple green part... which I'd like as it is a different green from Vim & Vigor, the one all green sport from S&S that I've grown.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

WOW! I can't wait for mine to grow up. I got mine as a very, very small tissue culture last year. I just moved it into the sun and it quickly grew a new leaf and is sending up another. It will probably bleach out like Gunther's Prize did last year. But my Gunther went from one eye last year to 5 this year.

Gesila

• User
    10 years ago

Really nice there, Gesila.
    Makes me want to go out and paint stripes (a la DonB) on my Winter Snow.

Lot easier than understanding what I just read. :)

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Did I understand correctly? Hostas by the driveway? Pick-up? On the way.

• idiothe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

man... you show up from Florida, I'll sure give you some hostas!

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I have no 'Blizzard', but had an interesting S&S streak experience. At a farm store I bought a green with white streaks plant labeled 'Sum & Substance' in a pot 2 years ago. It stabilized this year into tall clump of h. 'Sum It Up'. Bernd

• marika200
    9 years ago

I recently saw a photo of Blizzard that was growing in a woman's yard in Canada. She grows all kinds of hostas and, when I saw it, I thought I have to have that. It was huge and very nicely streaked. I still want to try it if, for no other reason, the bright color and size.

{{!gwi}}

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

Yeah... where is this driveway again? :P

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Lol! Ken, you are a character.

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

Oh Jim, You asked for it. They'll be lining up in your driveway. How many ways can you divide that hosta?? Ken just got into his car.

DD

This post was edited by DonnaDelaware on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 17:56

• irawon
    9 years ago

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the informative explanation as to why streaked hostas are unstable. I have an Ice Age Trail with some solid blue leaves. If I don't separate out the the solid blue eye, will I get another Big Daddy? Thanks. BTW, your Blizzard is lovely.

• hostasmith
    9 years ago

and here I thought maybe Jim was back on the forum!