Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gesila_gw

Hosta Book Ends

Gesila
10 years ago

Ken warned me when I planted these hostas in May 2011 that I put too many in. I thought I'd have a couple more years before I needed to worry.

Vulcan and June Fever have become book ends to Sweet Home Chicago.

Comments (12)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I love them! You know if you like the look, you can (Gasp! Argh!) dig around the edges of Sweet Home Chicago to make it smaller. The grouping looks wonderful to me.

-Babka

• hostafrenzy
    10 years ago

Pretty, happy hostas!

• flowerchild59
    10 years ago

Sweet home Chicago has always been one of my favorites. It is a great grower too.

• coll_123
    10 years ago

That is a very pretty combo.

• shade_tolerant
    10 years ago

Looks picture perfect to me too Gesila. You can always rearrange in another couple of years if you want to, I would enjoy it for now.

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

Looks just right to me. When they really get crowded I'd be inclined to take out lawn and move the two away a little. That would create more room in the center front of Sweet Home Chicago. I see three smaller ones, a solid yellow, solid blue and solid green.

• irawon
    10 years ago

What a beautifully edged bed, Gesila! What kind of edging material did you use? Was it hard to do?

Those hostas look really good together. Would dividing the bookends work?

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Well,you know i would like it! I like hostas planted close together. No room for weeds! Really good combination too! Phil

• Gesila
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll quit stressing out about the overcrowding. I already moved Summer Music last year. It was right behind Sweet Home Chicago.

Irawon, that is aluminum edging. Our landscapers installed it. My DH installed some in the back beds himself and did a pretty decent job.

The smaller ones to the left are Abby and Popcorn. The one to the right is High Society. The big ones in the back are Parhelion (left) and Paradise Glory.

Gesila

Gesila

• User
    10 years ago

I have a Summer Music, and it is delightfully colorful. Where did you put it? On your driveway? The light middle banded by the sort of yellowish chartreuse, and then a wide margin of medium green, all gorgeous colors. In a way, it could be the same sort of design as the Striptease family.

I can see that it was rightfully moved out of this bed though, since it would distract the viewer from the overall effect. With my Summer Music, I can see it soon placed on a higher stand where it is in your face!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

That is a nice combo. Thanks.

I know the advantages of the edging, but years ago I learned my beds are too fluid for such and got rid of most all of it. If I should hit a nice combo such as yours, its easy to simply expand the bed and keep them together.

tj

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

What a lovely bed, Gesila. I love this look!

The guys cooked and did dishes tonight so I could enjoy all these lovely pictures. . I'm as happy as a raccoon in a corn barrel. . lol