Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
almosthooked

Let me see His Honor

I picked up 7 small hosta today called His Honor for $2.10 each. They have a really nice root system. Would love to see one that has some growth and I also wonder how fast the get large .Each plant has two eyes and on has three. Should I plant them all together to make a larger plant ?

If you have pictures, I would love to see them
Thanks, Faye

Comments (9)

• User
    9 years ago

Hey Faye. Did you check the HLibrary and MYHOSTAS.BE?
    Pics in the lib and info in the other spot. But here is what I quote from MYHOStAS.

"Forms a 24 in. by 48 in. clump with huge sieboldiana type leaves of medium green with a dramatic, wide, gold turning to cream edge. Looking far a large architectural plant with pizzaz, then this may be the one for you!
    Maybe the best large variegated sieboldiana from Jim Wilkins. Large rounded green leaves with a wide margin that emerges greenish-yellow and becomes creamy white; large mound; near white flowers in June. Truly an elegant plant. "

What I note is:
    LARGE
    ARCHITECTURAL
    SIEBOLDIANA
    VARIEGATED
    FLOWERS IN JUNE
    ELEGANT

Sounds like you struck some gold in that purchase.

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would still like to see what others think of this and it sounds like a nice plant with features I do like but at that price I couldn't resist. I did look it up too in Myhostsbe and it is a wonderful site Also picked up 3 small first frost and planted them together. I have two others(first frost) that are large now but can't resist a bargain , They have one more kind I haven't got so may go back today and venture another $10 or so lol It doesn't seem to be accountable when you only get $10 or $20 each time instead of $100 here and $100 there

• kalija
    9 years ago

Looks like a great deal and a great hosta - Chris posted a beautiful pic of a huge one he was moving last year. Not sure if its OK to post a link but If you go to the Hallson gardens hosta forum and search for it you will find it.

I was so impressed by the pic I saved it in my favorites and its on my list - thanks for reminding me, I had almost forgotton hehe.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Feast your eyes on this His Honour, at Giboshihill. This view is the back of it starting at the left of the tree and all the way around. It is ginormous. You can see the Splendor of the front of it online at the Giboshi site, link provided! The chair and gavel identify it well, lol.

A wonderfully architectural specimen.

Jo

Here is a link that might be useful: Giboshihill hostas

9 years ago

Faye, you might like to see the eventual size before deciding upon putting them all together....maybe half? Your call. Nice sale! Good for you. :-)
    Here's a pic of the front, I just copied...hope Kevin doesn't mind!

{{!gwi}}

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My goodness Jo , it is HUGE! Better I think of a spot where it can grow to be the monster it looks like!. It may mean more grass gone! I am so glad I found them but may have to give a couple to my daughter for her flowerbeds. It does look like a beauty too

9 years ago

I just came in from spending the day with daughter and grand kids at Canada's Wonderland, logged in and found your thread at the top. I thought I had better get right on it and warn you of its potential! Lol. The second pic must be too large as it doesn't appear...oh well, you can browse the link at your leisure. :-)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Check out the sixth post down on this thread. I added the link. Another excellent pic of 'His Honor'. ; )

Don B.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love the picture Don, I took everyones word and planted them where they can grow BIG I did do 2 together in three places so have one for my daughter;. Looks like it will be a beauty and I almost didn't get them but the price was so good and roots were coming out of the bottom of each pot

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH