Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_rathert_gw

Smaller Bluish Unknown Hosta

Debbie_Rathert
9 years ago

Any suggestions on the name for this hosta? It's not huge, rather small, and is starting to have blooms right now.
Thanks for your help.

Comments (5)

• User
    9 years ago

I'd show you my Banyai's Dancing Girl but it is not mature yet. Yours seems to be mature. Take a look at it in the Hosta Library, first picture which shows the same sort of crinkling on the leaves. However, the lighting of the plant is a lot softer than on your plant, so look closely at leaf detail.

It looks similar in leaf shape to Blue Cadet, and I have both here since 2012. I don't think I have a picture of it sending up scapes this year. But it blooms with lavender flowers at the same time Blue Cadet does.

Mine may bloom a short while before others further north do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Banyai's Dancing Girl pictures in HL

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

whats the history of the plant ...???

been there forever... mail order... got it from a neighbor.. how old is the clump???

is BDG that readily available.. that is would be in this garden??? .. short of a collector specifically ordering one.. mail order... its not commonly found in bigboxstore is it???

i am thinking more like a june gone bad... halcyon??? .. i dont think BDG has the crinkle potential of the OPs plant ...

ken

MOC: i am having a hard time with the whole potting thing.. give me time...

• User
    9 years ago

What Ken says is well considered. I don't have many mature hosta to begin with. I believe Van Wade said it was a very good hosta worth using in more situations. Never considered it could be a "rogue hosta".....like Ken's suggestion of "a June gone bad." That gets my attention!

Yeah, it is hard to wrap my brain around the whole potting thing sometimes too, Ken. A whole different set of problems or considerations. In some cases though, potting is the way to go, even in different climates.

• Debbie_Rathert
    Original Author
    9 years ago

History of the hosta: I bought it I think at a nursery probably at least 10 years ago. I don't think it's June, because I have June and my June is not setting flowers yet. I think that Halcyon sounds like one I may have had in the past, and looking the the Hosta Library, I think the flowers look like Halcyon. So that might be my solution. I'm including a picture of the flowers from this hosta that I took today. Thanks for all of your posts.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

This is a terrible photo. I can't get the camera to focus on the flower. It keeps focusing on the leaves in the background. (I really need to learn how to operate my new DSLR.)

This is Halcyon blooming on New Jersey time. I'm not sure of your zone, so if you are in that same zone, or close, the bloom time would match. It's new to me this year, so will bloom at a slightly different time next year. It also has no corrugation yet.

I'm no expert on hosta flowers. The colors are very similar. The shapes are slightly different. The stamen and pistils are outside the flower on mine. We'll have to leave to someone besides me to say if they match. I just don't know.

bk

edit- a little better photo

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 10:25