Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paula_b_gardener5bon

Gemini Moon or Luna Moth?

They look similar to me in pictures. What are the pluses and minuses? Size difference, growth rate?

Thanks

Comments (13)

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I'll give you my take... My sense is that the two are going to be quite different ultimately. Understanding where they come from helps.

Gemini Moon is one of the dozens of sports out of August Moon... this one by way of Abiqua Moonbeam. It was selected for its wider margin. I don't grow it, but I grow Velvet Moon which has the same heritage and I suspect is the same plant. These August Moon plants are good growers and tolerate some sun. With maturity the leaves tend toward more round than elongated and the plant can have some upright character if grown in less light, will be lower in higher light areas. The juvenile leaves will be much more heart shaped than the mature ones. The mature leaves are fairly large.

In comparison, Luna Moth comes from Parky's Prize which comes from Birchwood Parky's Gold. Again, I don't grow LM but I do have a large mature PP and it is another fast growing, easy plant... the mound gets much larger than I thought... I think mine is about 48" or so in diameter... but stays relatively low and the leaves stay in the medium range.

Both of these probably qualify for the easy to grow, very tolerant list... I think you'll find a lot more Luna Moth available as it was released by a major wholesaler, Walters Gardens... probably thousands of plants into the market in the last several years.

So... lower and smaller leaves in LM... a little taller and bigger leaves in GM or Velvet Moon.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I don't grow 'Gemini Moon' but I do have a pair of 'Luna Moth' and also would say it's very easy to grow with a fairly fast growth rate, better than average substance, and doesn't burn easily, providing, of course, you give it plenty to drink. A very nice hosta. Pic taken yesterday.

Regards,
    Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

You should get both, Paula. : )

Don B.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

I second both but Luna Moth's coloring is better in the spring. Cool greens. Will post photo when I get home

10 years ago

I grow mine in almost full sun. Shade comes 4th of July.

• User
    10 years ago

Ah. I do not have Gemini Moon. I have August Moon. It is a beauty, grows quickly too. Very gold. I have it near more sun, early morning and late afternoon when the rays sneak under the umbrellas. It stays gold if that is what you want.

Luna Moth is a beautiful sophisticated hosta, and every time I think of it I see Mosswitch's thread about a REAL luna moth with such similar colors it is gorgeous. Mine is only in its 2nd year, as are most of my hosta. This year LM has been in mostly shade, with some early morning sun. I see that ILOVETOGROW has hers in sun and plans to keep it there until the 4th of July. We are at the same latitude, and south of I-10 also, so I guess I should give LM a chance to shine as a golden hosta. But I cringe when I think of how the heat and humidity are cooking some of the leaves....parboiling even. All that water in the leaves, tissue has to be boiled or blanched.
    Here is the picture of MY Luna Moth, in its cooler shady spot.

10 years ago

Mocc last year the heat was on here. It will be too hot for me to want to move them the shade after the 4th. I have been moving some already. Daylilies take that spot then. It is what I call crop rotation. Good looking plants. I do like the color of that one.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

You grow daylilies in pots?

bk

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great photos, tx.

Luna Moth won, I bought it today. :)

• donrawson
    10 years ago

Both are great hostas. Gemini Moon is medium large. I believe Luna Moth is a small medium. Also compare Velvet Moon and Moon Split.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Don, yes, 'small medium' is a perfect description for 'Luna Moth'.

Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don's :)

Thanks for the feedback, as my space is limited, I opted for the small/med Luna Moth. Moon Split is actually already on my list! The places that I know of, either don't have it or it is sold out.

Paula

10 years ago

Bk yes I grow just about everything in pots here. My soil is sand and I have too many tree roots to be able to manage. I tried it once years ago and did not know about trees sucking plants down in the sand. I thought I could not grow! Canna I put in the ground. It also helps me save water. Paula

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County