Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

Is Wheee! too big for my friend's garden?

esther_b
9 years ago

I just received a Wheee! as a bonus from HostasDirect after ordering a half-dozen heuchies. We are planting the hostas & heuchies Sunday afternoon, around the 2 large bushes in her yard, which provide about 250" of plantable space around both bushes. All the hostas & heuchies I ordered were 20" or less in diameter, on PURPOSE. I understand Wheee! gets to be THIRTY INCHES in diameter. What can I do to fit it into my friend's yard?

Here is my friend's Brooklyn yard. Please, those of you with your own private forests, do not laugh. Real estate is very dear in NYC.

Comments (11)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Hi Esther! You could make Wheee! The centre focal point if it's the largest hosta....then split it when it gets too big...maybe donate divisions to a crisis centre/church/synagogue or such?

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

sure ⦠put it in yours instead, she'll never know â¦

you could pot it up and put it on the landing, unless that is illegal according to someone's set of covenantal bylaw do-hickie bs-ifyishness ...

dave

This post was edited by bragu on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 8:00

• esther_b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave Bragu: If we potted it and put it on the wall around the brick porch, wouldn't it get too much sunlight? The whole point of planting the hostas & heuchies around the base of the circled bushes is because that city tree by the curb in front is now shading the yard. But it is not shading the porch or porch wall, so that's where the annuals will go today.

• User
    9 years ago

Esther, could it not be placed in the very center of the two arcs? It could probably take that back area of both arcs and unite them. What does such an idea do to your well considered planting scheme?

It is definitely a hosta which can take being the center of attention.

If your friend knows about the hosta coming with her order, discuss the dilemma with her. Other than that, if it won't fit, I'd keep it at home and simply wait and see how things thrive.

• esther_b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh boy, The Planting of My Friend's Garden turned out to be a day-long affair. I was very proud that she had, according to one of her daughters, gone out yesterday morning to acquire the D-handle shovel, trowel, Plant-tone (but the dummies at the local nursery sold her Holly-tone, duh), etc., just as I had outlined in an email.

Digging an 8" or 9" wide trench through very clay-y soil meshed with roots from the round bushes was very challenging and a hatchet was not to be had. A daughter came out brandishing a serious-looking kitchen knife to slay the worst of the roots. One son-in-law in particular, a slender wiry fellow, did real yeoman's work in creating a trench where we mixed in good topsoil with the clay. I gave a demo of my large T-handle tiller and pointed out how good it was for the waist. No takers, so I did all the soil mixing myself. It was still a bit too clay-y for my tastes, but hopefully the tough hostas will prevail, as well as the heuchies.

Finally, after about 2-3 hours of most everyone (and it's a LARGE family, now equipped with sons-in-law to help) taking a turn at creating a trench of improved soil (surrounded by elebenty-leven infant-to-7 year old grandchildren intently looking on), it was time to plant the lovely hostas and heuchies.

I had made a large chart which featured pics of each hosta and heuchie and its mature width, which we clipped to a bush for easy reference. I used a tape measure to determine how close to plant each plant to the next. And I planted them, shooing various toddlers and little kids away lest they trample the plant I had just tucked in.

Finally. Finally, I finished planting everything, including the numerous annuals in the 3 long planters on the porch wall. It was MY turn to join the raucous BBQ in the backyard celebrating the patriarch of the family's birthday. All the many many grandkids put on various skits in his honor. His eldest son manned the grill, turning out utterly delicious burgers, hot dogs and BBQ chicken. Everyone was commanded to partake heartily of the many homemade salads on another table, but there was STILL room for frozen sorbet birthday cake. An absolutely wonderful time was had by all.

And I went home with the Wheee!. There was not a square inch left for it to be planted in. So that was MY door prize.

Now it's my problem as to where to fit it in. Could I pot it in a large pot?

• User
    9 years ago

Oh, Esther! What a grand event your planting party became! I love the image of a family gathering to celebrate the patriarch's birthday, and skits by the little ones. Such a dynasty. And such a time they will remember years from now to include the precision of the planting--which involved the whole family. You are a great friend.

And look at you, going home with the prize....WHEEE! indeed.
    Oh yes. It will do magnificently in a big pot. I know that presents its own problems to you, but you always work it out. Here is mine this year doing nicely in its pot. I got it in 2012, and it may not be as large as it would otherwise be in the ground, but I'm happy to move it where it fits in any time I choose. Enjoy it as a memory of a grand occasion.

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Esther, that truly sounds like an ideal day of friendship & family. In addition to the beautiful hostas & heuchies filling in, you'll have a reminder of a big day together, which is what it's all about.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Esther, your descriptions made me feel like I was there! What a great time you all must have had...and your waistline has benefited??? LOL. Great sense of humour.
    My Wheee! Is so very happy in its pot, like Mocc's. Can you enjoy yours near your own entry, by any chance instead of out in the garden? Just wondering...and congratulations on your new addition!

• esther_b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mocc, Mary, & Josephine,

You have really gotten what I tried to express. This was an experience in FAMILY, TEAMWORK, and LOVE. My friend's husband (who is also, of course, my friend for 30 years) sat in a lawn chair on the sidewalk, holding this grandbaby or that one, watching as various adult family members took turns at hacking away at that viscous clay-y soil and the roots of what I think are holly bushes. Indiana Jones using his machete to clear jungle was a piker compared to my friend's daughter Miril hacking away at the holly roots with the kitchen knife. We really could only cut a 9 or 10" wide trench in this clay, into which I poured bags of topsoil to mix with the clay soil.

Without most of the adult members of the family shoveling or hacking at roots, we could not have gotten the hostas & heuchies a proper amended trench in which to be planted. Yeshiva boys who had never held a shovel in their lives were shoveling away like machines at my direction, as I sprayed water on each newest layer of clay uncovered, to make it workable. The numerous little children stood in wonder at our activities, watching as though we were conjuring sunbeams into cookies. They liked "gardening", they said, and wanted to "help". I told them the best way to help is to "supervise" us (if you think I was letting toddlers near $250 worth of hostas and heuchies....). They accepted that and watched. I had to retrieve some balls and other toys which had come precariously close to the tender shoots of the plants, but they didn't. Whew.

With all this frenetic activity, overlaid by the dozen-plus grandkiddies all under 8 running around, asking for water, trying to sample the desserts, playing ball, planning the skits to entertain their grandfather, waving from upper story windows down at us--you name it, it was going on--I still managed to follow my garden schematic, clipped to a holly bush, and get the job done. A miracle. Another miracle was how my friends were not the slightest bit fazed at this maelstrom, not missing a single beat as they set up the BBQ and passed around food fresh from the grill. The sense of family and love just totally permeated the whole atmosphere. I have tried to capture this utterly beautiful thing to share with you all here, but it's elusive, like a skittish butterfly, to express.

Mocc, WHAT SIZE POT should I plant this Wheee! beauty in? I could put at least a 12" pot next to my 18" pot of mini-hostas (YES!! Holy Mouse has made it back from the 2nd squirrel attack and has 2 new leaves!!). Perhaps the gaiety of the whirling leaves might actually better be showcased up in the air in a pot.

• User
    9 years ago

Esther, I think a 10" pot would be a good size for it. Mine is in a 10" pot and has done very well. If it is a black pot, setting it inside an ornamental would keep the sun from cooking the roots.

Wheee! does have some frilly pantaloons or petticoat ruffles down her petioles. Those have white edges too. So yes, elevated somehow would be a sweet presentation.

Jo may be more scientific and logical about the pot size. I defer to her suggestion about the size.

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

I loved reading this. It would be great to see pictures of the finished area! I'm glad you got a nice souvenir (in addition to the memories) of a wonderful day with friends.