Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pzelko

for those who have questions on maple tree roots....

pzelko
15 years ago

Here are some pics of my pond being dug. the branches on the side of the hole are roots. pruners were needed and many times a saw to get rid of the roots! It does not show the many tiny roots that are under the first few inches of soil tho. note how deep the roots are still running along the very bottom of the 4th pic ( sorry you have to count them)The maple is about 30 feet away and has to go under the garage to get here

{{gwi:1016412}}

{{gwi:1016413}}

{{gwi:1016414}}

{{gwi:1016415}}

{{gwi:1016416}}

{{gwi:1016417}}

{{gwi:1016418}}

{{gwi:1016419}}

{{gwi:1016420}}

{{gwi:1016421}}

{{gwi:1016422}}

but the final result was worth it

{{gwi:204446}}

{{gwi:204445}}

{{gwi:204391}}

{{gwi:204393}}

Sorry for the repeat photos, posting these pictures just wore my computer out!! that's what you get from still using the same computer from the '90s

and this soil is VERY sandy!! hate to have clay like my parents 20 miles away!!

Comments (11)

• hostared
    15 years ago

Very nice yard. And alot of back breaking work you have done. Sand is easier than Clay and I couldn't imagine digging a hole that deep in clay.

I have a question for those of you who have ponds near maples. I know the liners are thick but will the tree roots ever pierce the liner?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

that is not sand soil..

this is ... note that it is devoid of all black stuff.. otherwise known as humas .... only hawaii has black sand .... DONT EVER COMPLAIN ABOUT YOUR SOIL ...
    {{gwi:197426}}

man i wish i had loamy sand.... but i refuse to move again.. lol ....

otherwise.. great pix.. great pond.. great posting ... thanks ..

ken

• inlimbo
    15 years ago

What a pretty, pretty pond.

I like the subtle placement - cozied up to the deck - and the hidden edges. There's a little mystery here - where does this begin?

Love the elephant ears and, of course, the hostas.

Wow - a piece of the tropics in ZONE 5!?!

very cool

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

Great job, I've posted about my personal taste which is natural, as if God put it there.

You, in fact, have done what I try to do.

To late to offer this advice but others can know that putting Spin-Out cloth or some from of copper in the hole will go a long way to keep roots out of the pool hole in the future.

BTW, I didn't do what I am advising because I didn't know at the time.

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Great pond and fishes! I notice in the before pics,that the large blue hosta wasn't affected by the maples roots? What is that plant? Blue Angel,perhaps? Phil

• pzelko
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The blue hosta is blue angel!! great guess!!

• i_dig_it
    15 years ago

Beautiful! All your hard work paid off, what a beautiful yard.

Talking about ROOTS!
    {{gwi:1016426}}

No this isn't my yard, but I took this picture along the Illinois river. These trees have been exposed to continuous rising and falling water levels. Eerie looking, isn't it?

Janet

• esox48
    15 years ago

The first thing that struck me was the Blue Angel seemed to be doing great despite the roots.

The second was it turned out to be a beautiful scene.

• Pat z6 MI
    15 years ago

Beautiful pond, but I'm on the side of the Maple and its roots. I love trees more than hostas (blasphemy!) and ponds.

• icyveins
    15 years ago

That's my problem Patann. I love my trees. Well, we have a love-hate relationship anyway. The Maples are huge and beautiful. My yard would be far less enjoyable without them... but I wish they weren't bullies.

I had a Black Thorn Locust (at least I think that's what it was called?) at my last house. It was gorgeous, smelled great, and didn't have invasive roots, but man did that thing send off the fastest growing babies ever! In fact, we pulled one up and planted it in my sister's yard about 6 years ago. It's at least 20' tall now! Those things would be EVERYWHERE and huge before you'd know it. Not to mention it had EVIL thorns and didn't provide much real shade.

Everything has a bad side. I'll take problem trees over no trees anyday!

Someone remind me that I said that later when I'm standing in the yard yelling hateful things at the trees that keep murdering any blue hosta I think about putting in the ground.

• gardenfanatic2003
    15 years ago

That's absolutely gorgeous! How long did it take to do that (making the pond and planting around it).

Deanna

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!