• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shot of South side of house...

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 5:00

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Rainforest Sunrise' VERY late to the party...Better late than never, I'm happy to see it, thought it was dead for a while...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Same with 'Fujibotan', also arose very late...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another of the South side...

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 5:02

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

First scape coming up is from 'Summer Breeze'...EDIT: Sorry, I mean 'Journey's End'...

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 17:54

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Spartacus' and 'Guardian Angel'

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'St. Paul' with an underplanting of the beautiful little 'Fair Maiden'....F.M. has some of my favorite variegation I've seen on Hosta......

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Again with the South side...

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 5:04

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A very blue 'Blue Hawaii' with 'Dream Queen'...

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 5:06

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Fluted Fountain' looking healthier; probably the most frost/freeze damaged of my Hosta this season...I love this one, I think it'll become a favorite.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Luna Moth'...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Blue Hawaii' solo...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Green Gold'

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Silk Kimono' with an underplanting of 'Radiant Edger'...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Spring Fling'...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Sum-Cup-o-Joe' with 'Lakeside Roy El' behind and 'Francee' to the left...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Sugar And Cream'. BKay was nice enough to send this plant to me...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Fried Bananas' with 'Fragrant Blue' behind and 'Invincible' to the left...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And finally, 'Alligator Shoes'...Sorry, I guess that was more than a few pics...Thanks for looking, hope you liked the pics!

Cheers All,
    Don B.

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

Looking very good Don... That was quite a few pics to upload !

I am always surprised how much more ALLIGATOR like the Alligator shoes looks as the plant ages...

The Blue Hawaii are nice, and Spartacus sure seems to be popular...

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing. Fried Bananas is sure a fresh looking hosta. Your Summer Breeze is beautiful but mis-labeled.

Paul

• irawon
    10 years ago

Don, your hostas are progressing beautifully. Wish my Blue Hawaii were as blue as yours. Next year I'll make sure I'm present when the deck guys clean the deck. I think they sprayed the blue away.

Thanks for taking the time to post all those pictures.

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

Don, I'd never seen Fair Maiden before. Hope you post more photos of her as she continues to grow this summer (with leaf close-ups!).

• mr_gary
    10 years ago

Don, you have a very nice selection. I really like Spartacus, Luna Moth and Blue Hawaii.Thanks for sharing. Gary

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Don, Summer Breeze has green centers and yellow edges.

Great selection. I really like Fluted Fountain. For some reason, I had it in my head that FF was a white edged hosta that didn't have good substance. Our local nursery has it, I may have to check it out!

Gesila

• User
    10 years ago

Don, where did your Blue Hawaii come from?
    Mine was a single big/huge eye, and it had a pebbled frosted blue set of leaves. I really like it.

Your BHawaii seems to be a smoother leaf, and quite a large clump.

Mine came from Naylor, which is where I thought yours came from too.

Nothing like a Sunday stroll through a lovely garden. Thanks for the treat.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hm, wonder what my 'Summer Breeze' could be. That's gonna bug the cr*p outta me now. Time to hit the library....

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 17:17

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mocc, the 'Blue Hawaii' was a local purchase, and it was a Proven Winners plant.

Don B.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Don are you sure that's Francee? I can't see it real well, but the white edge looks wide. Glad to see your Sugar and Cream is doing well.

Your hosta are really taking off. I love the Luna Moth.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everybody...Gesila, 'Fluted Fountain' has a nice substance to it. It does grow fairly slowly, but no slower than some other great hosta. Another typically good Don Dean introduction.

Anybody know what that mislabeled 'Summer Breeze' could be? I got it last year late in the season, and it came from NH Hostas already dormant. Oh well, whatever it is, I like it...

Cheers,
    Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's funny BKay, because that 'Francee' is a piece I divided from my bigger plant, and the edges on the plant the division was taken from have the usual thin white margins, as typical of 'Francee'...So I don't know, I have some other divisions taken from my 'Francee' that show differences, too...Like this pic from these little 'Francee' divisions last year; I took them off the original plant because they looked different, and they are staying with their somewhat wider-margined look. So to make a long story short (Oh, too late for that)! Maybe not, but it used to be 'Francee'!! : )

Don B.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Possibly Dance With Me.

I received a Key Lime Pie instead of Jewel of the Nile from NH Hosta - took a couple of years waiting for JOTN leaf pattern before I realized. In the end it was a good mistake as KLP is sensational now.

Paul

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Oh no Don, I hate to stress you out. Shady Oaks does all the tissue culturing for Olga's hostas. Walter's Gardens does all the Proven Winners. So Blue Hawaii was never a proven winner.

I just found out that my huge Blue Hawaii is probably not a Blue Hawaii either.

I'm off to do a tax appointment, but I think I have a list of all of Water's hosta's that are Proven Winners. I'll get back to you and maybe we can figure out what your Blue Hawaii really is.

Gesila

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, my 'Summer Breeze' is a 'Journey's End'. My bad. So I have a pair of 'Journey's End', and no 'Summer Breeze' : (

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 18:22

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mocc, so sorry, I just gave you bad info! I found the tag that 'Blue Hawaii' came with. It's from Novalis. You know, 'Plants That Work'! I bought it the same day I got my 'Prairie Sky', also from Novalis. Buy one get one free. I don't usually save tags, but I did these. WHEW! Thanks for the info, Gesila, it made me investigate it.

Hope Novalis grows clean hostas ; P

Always Learning,
    Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Paul, I think I remember recently seeing a pic of your 'Key Lime Pie' and as I recall, yours looks amazing. That sound about right?

Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

They look really good. I love Luna Moth, it is definitely going on the list! I saw one at the garden centre on Saturday and it got my attention, but yours has put me over the edge :)

• hosta-see
    10 years ago

Don
    My first thought was that's not Blue Hawaii! IMO I lean more towards Parisian Silk?
    Gary

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Marvelous pics, Don! Love them all. Hate the fact that you have no weeds. I hope to be at that point by July-I get a lot more done once school is out! :)

Thanks for all the inspiring pics.

Cynthia

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pretty sure it's 'Blue Hawaii'.

EDIT: However, 'Parisian Silk' would always be welcome in my garden...And pretty much any other Don Dean hosta.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 20:43

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Cyn. LOL y'know, a few of my neighbors say things like, "You're so lucky you don't have the weed problems we do, what's your secret?" And I reply with things like, "What, you think it's magic? I walk around my property and PULL THEM OUT! Now go pull yours out before they go to seed and blow in my yard!" It can seem neverending early on in the season, but SO worth it when they're minimalized. As I'm sure you know : )

Regards,
    Don B.

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

WOW Don, that Lakeside Kaleidoscope is awesome !!!

So glad winter finally released its nasty grip on you and your plants could come out and play. :)

I noticed you beat me to Fair Maiden. She is on my âÂÂTo Orderâ list for next year.

I also noticed you have Valentine Lace. I saw a fantastic specimen while I was up in Michigan.

Why look here . . . I happen to have a picture . . . and IâÂÂm even willing to share before I have made an official post of my tour.

Valentine Lace from The Herb & Dorothy Benedict Hosta Hillside Garden in Michigan.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Ludi! I got 'Valentine Lace' from Hallson Gardens last season, and it has absolutely erupted with growth...I think it's gorgeous...Yesssss 'Fair Maiden' has surprised me greatly. I just kind of tossed it on the end of my order from Green Mountain, because it looked kind of cute and hey, it was four bucks. Best four bucks I ever spent! The variegation is incredible (Paul in Minn has even a much nicer one). And of course 'Lakeside Kaleidoscope' seems to get prettier every day.....Thanks for the pic, Ludi, I can't wait to see more photos of your tour of the Benedict Hosta Hillside Gardens!

Regards,
    Don B.

PS Not sure if you saw this one, it's 'Lakeside Kaleidoscope' close-up from a couple weeks ago...

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

IâÂÂm sold . . . itâÂÂs on the list.

D@^^n enablers !!!!!!!!

• User
    10 years ago

Ludi, you went to some high class hosta gardens. Good for you. This hosta business is serious with you I see. Don't blame you. I have a LS Kaleidoscope from 2011, but it had foliar nematodes and was set back last year. This year, it is recovering and is quite small.

And Gesila, are you suggesting that you had a big pretty Blue Hawaii and it was NOT a Blue Hawaii? You notice my Blue Hawaii posted above? IS it a Blue Hawaii? It sure is blue.

But if DonB's Blue Hawaii is really Parisian Silk, I wouldn't mind having something which looks that impressive. Don Dean hosta? I have one called Astral Bliss, and it is growing lovelier every day. I keep it beside Awakening Angel to keep track of their similarities/differences.

All this mistaken identity is spinning my head. I recall the old song, "I'm My Own Grandpa." With hosta, it's an option.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL.......Four bucks @ Green Mountain Hosta Nursery...heh heh heh... : )

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's not 'Parisian Silk', it's a 'Blue Hawaii'!!!! ; P But hey, if it is 'Parisian Silk' that's cool; Those suckers are a bit expensive! : )

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 22:41

• User
    10 years ago

Oh good. Now I can stop fretting and post my new photo album.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'New photo album' you say? My ears just sprang up like a coyote that heard a mouse ruffling in the forest... : )

Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Lol, I thought the same thing - oh goody!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County