Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyceann_gw

Mini Hostas

joyceann
16 years ago

I've been trying to spruce up the front of my beds with some mini's. So far I have dragons tails, blue mouse ears, masquerade and teaspoon. Can you guys give me some good suggestions without me having to go through 2 hours of searching different websites?

Thanks,

Joyceann

Comments (12)

• yardmom
    16 years ago

Pandora's Box is a must! Thn there's Cherish, Cameo, Feather Boa, Kifukirin Ko Mame, Fireworks, Limey Lisa, Tiny Tears, Twist of Lime, Lemon Lime,....I could go on and on! Are you planning on ordering them or do you have a good nursery close by?

• joyceann
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There's not much in the way of nurseries here in So. Illinois. All we have is corn, beans and wheat!! Ha Ha
    I do belong to a co op where I have picked up some of the ones I already have. I forgot that I do have tiny tears ordered. Can you suggest a good mail order for these?
    Joyceann

• Hosta_Haven
    16 years ago

I like Silver Kabitan, Chartreuse Wiggles, Cracker Crumbs, Stiletto, Hi Ho Silver, Teeny Weeny Bikini, Lakeside Elfin Fire, Peanut, Hidden Cove, Cheatin Heart and although more in the small/medium range, not mini's ...Teaspoon and Cameo.

Hallsons is a great nursery to order hostas from! They often even give you a bonus plant. This spring I ordered several minis mentioned above and Chris sent me Cheatin Heart (a mini) as a bonus!

Below is a link to their dwarf/Small hostas. I'm sure others can recommend other on-line nurseries as well.

Char

Here is a link that might be useful: Hallsons Mini Hostas

• judysue
    16 years ago

I second Hallson's! Great plants, and always an extra.

I found this website for Blooming Designs. They have a good selection of minis- this link is for the miniatures:
    http://bloomindesigns.com/category/hostasizes.1/

Judy

• razorback33
    16 years ago

Here's another nursery that sells only mini/small Hosta.
    I have purchased from them seveal times, great plants, great service.
    Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: MPK

• Eleanor B
    16 years ago

I love the dwarfs, but in my yard they tend to look lost in the front of borders. (Instead, I have a separate area of all dwarf hosta.) If you don't mind ones that are a little bigger ("small" instead of "dwarf") consider Crepe Suzette and Crested Surf. I've found these to be very hardy and good-looking in the front of the border.

• donnie_007uk
    16 years ago

I just bought a small hosta named Lakeside Knick Knack. Its a little beauty

Donnie

• i_dig_it
    16 years ago

Hi there Joyceann!
    How far south in IL are you?
    Hornbakers is up in Princeton and it's a great place to visit!
    It would make a nice day trip, but they do mail order too.
    I was in Springfield the other day and could not find a nursery anywhere! Where do people in So. IL buy their plants?

Here's the link to Hornbakers mini hostas. I've gotten lots of plants from them and have not had a problem at all. They have nice size plants.

Janet

Here is a link that might be useful: Hornbaker Minis

• bluepoppy
    16 years ago

I really like the look of Cracker Crumbs. Mine is in its second year and growing fast!

• lisasmall
    16 years ago

It may be a pinch big for you, one step up from a mini, perhaps? but I have been very, very pleased with 'Kiwi Blue Baby.'

Another smallish blue is 'Blue Moon.' And of course 'Blue Mouse Ears,' but I think someone said that already.

• jennie_in_mt
    16 years ago

I have liked Saishu Jima a lot. It has simple green lance shaped leaves. Also like Lakeside Cupcake

• maidofshade
    16 years ago

I like Pandora's Box, Baby Bunting, Stiletto, Cracker Crumbs, Lakeside Elfin Fire. These are all good growers for me. I also think any of the Lemon Lime, Twist of lime, etc bunch are fast multipliers good for edges. I also like the little ones grouped together in their own little spaces, but have seen them used together with others also. I just find it easier to keep and eye on them when they are all together. They are addicting in their own right...kind of like an addiction inside an addiction. LOL