Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Just 6 more new hosta....

User
10 years ago

These came from Naylor Creek yesterday morning, shipped on Friday to arrive Monday morning. The postman came by OUR house first, since he said the live plants did not need to go the route with him. I really appreciate his good neighborliness.

I got the small Boyz Toy

And Hands Up, tetraploid sport of Praying Hands

Sea Gulf Stream still wrapped. Where did the potted picture go...

Mango Tango

And the last two, Dance With Me ......Empress Wu
YES, I DID IT

Comments (7)

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

I've been eyeing Mango Tango. Nice hosta.

• on_greenthumb
    10 years ago

I'm liking the Mango Tango too :) Good looking group of plants

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

Nice selection! I have been wanting to get Sea Gulf Stream and Mango Tango too but I will probably wait until next year to get them.

I see you got the Empress! How big of a pot do you think you will need for that one? I have one planted in the ground (2nd year) and the dang bugs won't leave it alone. I considered digging it up and potting it but then I thought maybe it would be best to leave it in the ground.

Linda

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I walked around yesterday and realized I have 3 mature Sea Gulf Streams... I generally only allow doubles, and those had better be special. It is just such a good, elegant leafed yellow!

After losing all of my Stitch in Times, I was leery of Mango Tango, which seems to share the same genetic defect - "stitching" - as SiT. MT is growing fine for me.

And that particular color combo... kind of runs through the whole family... you know MT is a sport from Dance With Me , so they share those colors... and you'll soon have Summer Lovin which is a sport from Summer Breeze and all of these hark back to common mother/grandmother Summer Music... That can be used for effect in displaying them...

and Wu.... everybody should have a Wu. Is it blaphemous for me to admit that I like Komodo Dragon better? Still... gotta see if I can get Wu up to that really tall height! Definitely will require a big pot.

Have you considered buying a forklift right up front - might save a lot of back problems later!

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Hey Moc, keep your Empress Wu out of the wind. I had mine in a pot 2 years ago and the wind wrecked havoc on it. I had to stake it, the wind broke the petioles. Most of the leaves were shredded by years end.

Gesila

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A forklift might not be a bad idea ..... that is the funniest idea I've heard yet.

What I did was order this long-fronted dolly which folds up and carrys 500+ pounds. I already have a white bird of paradise that is 9 to 10 foot tall and I can only move it a few inches at a time with a crowbar, so that will be my test pot--to see if the dolly can take it, while the warranty is still good. I was inspired to get it by a post KenA made about short-fronted dollies and large containers. If it moves that tropical barrel, then I have hopes for the large hosta pots too.

Actually, I got the Empress Wu to go in the ground in my front flower bed...the bed beside the driveway, where it can get morning shade and be protected from the brunt of the summer direct sun, Her companion will be Sum And Substance, my oldest giant growing since 2010. It is leaping out of its pot this year, and is the best candidate for the sunnier spot in the same bed.

I'm wondering if I might try some spinout bags for this bed. Except for Wu, I do not know what size spinout bag would suit such a giant.

I had Stitch In Time, which withered away last year as a single unhealthy looking eye, and never returned this year. It was not worth the money spent on it. I'm liking the healthy look of the Dance With Me and also Mango Tango....the type of leaf coloring and texture really appeals to me. Let's hope my results are above average with both of them.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

6 more was not the story today. Editing a duplicate post.

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 0:51