Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

The Magnificent Eight

User
10 years ago

The last eight arrivals were the last in a run of 5 boxes of hosta delivered Thursday and Friday. I took this series of shots, before they were potted up. Note that some were higher than the window sill, as a general reference for size. Generally, there was one spot where they stood still long enough for me to snap the picture. Enjoy. The name is in each picture.

These were the last 8 in the two triangular boxes coming from Jim Hartmann. Very pleased, but tired tonight. :)

Just a comment. In all the descriptions of the Striptease hosta, I never saw it mentioned that the white lines are visible top AND bottom of the leaves. I was impressed. Wow.

Comments (4)

• Gesila
    10 years ago

I'm impressed too! What size pots are you going to put them in?

I was looking at Tijuana Brass the other day, can't wait to see yours potted up.

Gesila

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gesila, I got them potted today, will post the pictures tomorrow.
    Two of them went into deep pots, about 14 inches across, and about a deep 5 or 7 gallon container. I put two of them into 3 gallon nursery pots, the others into a short fat pot which might be 3 or 4 gallon...wider than it is tall. Maybe 12 tall x 15 diameter. The big ones I had to stake with square 1/2 inch wood (saved from an appliance shipping crate).

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Awesome! Is that your first 'Fortunei Hyacinthina', Mocc?

Don B.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don, no I have two other Fortunei Hyacinthinas. One is much smaller than this, and has a dark leaf too. The other is a smaller one and it has really light colored leaves. I'm always looking for different sources to check these highly reproductive specimens in the hosta world, to see if they start evolving to a different plant under different conditions.

Here are six of those shown above in the last wagon on its way to the Back40 and some good shade. Note the size of the pots, and most of those sticks go to the bottom of the pot, measure about 36 inches long, and thus you can guess height of pot and hosta. I chose the two deeper pots because of the length of the roots on those two hosta.

What I was doing after the potting job was completed. Laid back.

Would you believe first thing I had to do this morning was repair damage done by the neighbor's cat, who dug into every one of the pots? I think it was the smell of the crab shells, eh?
    I had no damage done to the ones already ferried into the Back40 shade, so it was not squirrels. The cayenne pepper gets added to these, soft potting mix is too tempting to diggers.

The last wagon load ready to locate in the shady Back40.

Now I must get the name tags on the plants, all 22 from Jim, all 2 from Mason Hollow, all 4+1 from Hallson, and 1 Sam Spade from Ed Schulz....put on the skeeter repellent, and go for it.

Gesila, I'll make a point to get Tijuana Brass pictured for you in its pot. Thanks for looking.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996