Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfanatic2003

Overwatering???

gardenfanatic2003
16 years ago

I have a June that the leaves on one eye all turned yellow after I watered with a drip hose a couple weeks ago. It's planted close to the foundation, so when it rains, it hardly gets any moisture unless it's blowing rain that direction.

We hadn't gotten rain since then, and the soil in the bed had cracks in it, so I did the soaker hose again yesterday. Today, June had a leaf turning yellow. I'm expecting to go out tomorrow and see another one turning yellow, like how it happened before.

I thought hostas were water lovers??? I've heard to get nice hostas you have to water, water, water. Well, for some reason, June isn't liking the water, even though the bed was dry. All the other hostas are doing fine with the water.

I'm rather concerned about this because a few years ago I had a hosta that's leaves started turning yellow, and it turned out to be that fungus they get at the soil level. I looked to see if June's stems appeared to have rot at soil level, and they looked fine.

Any thoughts on what's going on with June?

Deanna

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

you planted it weeks ago ... watered it then ....

and now that it is yellowing for lack of water... you are watering it again ...

and wondering about OVER watering???

i give my hosta 1 inch of water every third day ... and that is NOT over watering ...

your hosta is thoroughly under watered.. and sacrificing leaves in an attempt to live... soon, if not already it will go into summer dormancy for lack of such ...

start trying to drown the thing.. and it should reflush ...

since you are in the south ... i would tend toward morning water... so as to attempt to avoid southern blight ...

good luck

ken

• lindac
    16 years ago

As ken said.....the poor thing was dying of thirst and perhaps the drink you gave was too late to save all the leaves.
    You don't water something every 2 weeks and expect it to look lush and green....
    And June will eventually make a clump 30 or more inches in diameter...I hope you planted it at least 2 feet from the foundation.
    Linda C

• gardenfanatic2003
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I planted it a year ago. It didn't start getting yellow leaves until after I watered a couple weeks ago, not planted a couple weeks ago.

And Ken, if your hostas get sun, they need more water than my June does. She hardly gets any sun being under the awning with the house blocking the morning sun and a tree blocking the afternoon sun.

Deanna

• indylars
    16 years ago

You have what is called "Dry Shade" wich can be just as bad. Loosen the soil around the crown water well and mulch it well. A good fertilizer will help it perk back up. Cut off yellowing leaves at the base.

• ademink
    16 years ago

I have far more issues with keeping my hostas in dry shade in good condition than those in full sun! I completely agree w/ indylars.

• gardenfanatic2003
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you indylars and ademink - the first two responses sounded pretty sarcastic.

Deanna

• esther_opal
    16 years ago

Deanna, if you find amazement at what you are doing followed by good advice sarcastic then you'll hate me.

I on the other hand I felt they were kind to take their time to try to help.

BTW, they are two of the most successful and knowledgeable growers you'll find here. Do them the courtesy of reading the archives to know them better, small price to pay for their time.