Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Captain's Adventure

Posted by Bennie0203 6b/7a (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 2:35

I bought CA three years ago and thought that it will be a beauty (according to the picture of the originator). Now I always get this ugly duckling. What is your experience?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Captain's Adventure

Yours looks great to me! Mine looks like that when emerging in spring then spreads out nicely in the summer. Doesn't look just like the picture they used to market the plant but it is still gorgeous in my opinion.
Vanessa

o

Thank you Vanessa. The plant is not bad, but it is really not what was promised by the picture. :-) >:-(
But if the Adventure is to be a cup than it is o.k. :-)

o

Mine looks like that right now too, I'm hoping the leaves will uncup.

Gesila

o

I don't know that mine spreads out, more like it adds non draw-stringed leaves on subsequent flushes. Good grower. Jury is still out on this one for me.

First one I received was solid color and was replaced by seller. This solid color CA is attractive with different tones on the leaves. I'll add a picture when I get back to my desktop.

Paul

edit - Here's a pic of the solid CA I received.....maybe call it Seasick.

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 6:56

o

Seasick is a great name for it, Paul...Quite pale, and green at the gills!

o

Here's mine. Not sure if I like it or not, but it is interesting.

o

From 6/25

Paul

o

And today

Paul

o

Mine looks like Macs, but i have to remember its not sick, its changing. Its never cupped, but lays flat, and though it changes colors, weirdly, it has also never been anywhere near the solid as Pauls. Im not sure if I like it or not.

o

Mine has one teeny tiny microscopic leaf on it. I thought it was one of several casualties this spring but it has that one teensy leaf. It's trying to live. We'll see if it comes back from the brink of death.

Karen

o

Here is my Captain's Adventures and it has the look of the green in the area surrounding the midleaf wicking its way to the margins. Then it becomes a yellow midleaf with a greener margin.
Untitled

I have yet to have the cupping. Have no idea why not, but I'm glad it is absent. That's Erie Magic near it.
DSCN9962

o

I bought my first Captains Adventure late last year and I didnt take a picture of it but it looked like it should, according to the picture.

This year it came up with only half of it variegated

May
Captain's Adventure photo CaptainsAdventure.jpg

June

July

Not impressed, so I moved it to a less noticeable spot in my garden (as a punishment).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here