9 years ago

Big Daddy

Autumn Frost

Atlantis

Ann Kulpa

• tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
    9 years ago

Hi Bennie, nice plants.
    Autumn Frost and Guardian Angel are very impressive.
    Is that an all yellow division on First Frost. I have an unstable eye divided from my one. It looks like it might settle down to an all yellow plant.
    I see you live in Germany, where do you buy your plants? Got any good nurseries in Germany you can recommend ?
    I am always looking for new sources of good plants. At present I use Fransens and Van den Top in Holland.

Dave

• Bennie0203
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Dave, thank you. I do my very best. ;-)
    Yes, it is an all yellow divison but, unfortunately, it is just dying. When it emerged I was pretty sure that it will not survive because First Frost finally will get a white edge and this is what happens now.

I bye my Hostas from van den Top and Fransen (both NL, you know) and from Planwerk in Bavaria.
    I go every year to Jan and take my plants with me. I also was able to have a look into his greenhouses and on things coming in futur. :-o
    http://www.hostaversand.eu/planwerk_startseite.htm
    Sorry I don't know how to create a link in this forum. :-(

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Beautiful hostas and pics. Thanks for sharing.

Paul

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Thanks for showing us your hosta, especially LS Paisley Print. I wondered what it would look like grown up.

bk

• hostanista
    9 years ago

FANTASTIC plants, and excellent pics too! Great job. Would love to see overall garden pictures if you get a chance too.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Too bad about the all yellow eye, probably doesn't have enough chlorophyll to live. Nice plants! I've been resisting adding minis, but that Dancing Mouse sure is cute (and tempting).

• mctavish6
    9 years ago

Very beautiful plants and excellent photography. Please keep posting!

• User
    9 years ago

I just planted three Junes this spring, and the picture of yours has me very excited for mine now. Very beautiful.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Is your Deane's Dream as aqua blue/turquoise as purported? I've always wanted one because of the rare blue colour.

Beautiful photos of beautiful mature hostas!

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Those are some beautiful hosta. Each pic was better than the last. Especially liked seeing Guardian Angel and Lakeside Paisley Print, but all are gorgeous. Do you have more to share?

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Drooling in Delaware!!!

DD

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

You sure have some beautiful plants! I have never seen a Lakeside Paisley Print that big! It is so pretty! I just bought that one and Dress Blues and I hope they grow up to look just like your plants.

Thanks for posting!
    Linda

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Enjoyed each and every one.
    Thanks for posting!

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Hey, Bennie. Great Hostas you've got there. Well grown and some nice cultivars. The exception is Deane's Dream. It isn't as nice as the others, so I want you to dig it up and send it to me.

Thanks,

Steve

• User
    9 years ago

Bennie, it is a pleasure to see your plants. Every one is beautiful. I am impressed with the look of Lakeside Paisley Print, I had no idea it would look that way as a mature plant.

Please come back with more pictures and show us your garden as well. Welcome to the forum.

• Bennie0203
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your replies and the warm words. It is a pleasure to read the posts of this forum - but it is very time consuming to do this only once a day. ;-) Time difference between America and Europe does not help to have a real conversation.

@Bkay2000, LS Paisley Print is in the third year. I'm curios to see it the next years. Even the green sport is worth to keep in the Garden. I will post a pic later, because its summer dress is also very nice.

@Hostanista, on weekend I will take some shoots of the beds.

@MadPlanter1, I have Church Mouse too (since last year). At the moment they are very similar, but (for me) Dancing Mouse is a much faster grower.

@ThistleAndMaize, it is June Present. It is as beauty as June but 1/3 of size of June. So, if you love June and want to have one more and have only limited space: plant June Present. :-)

@josephines67, it is a hard job to answer because of the language. :-) It is a chalky mid-blue, perhaps comparable with ripe blueberries with! the wax coating.

@Steve, When will you arrive at the airport in Berlin? I have two of Deans Dream and the second looks very similar. So come along and dig it up. (Hopefully you woun't :-o).

• Bennie0203
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is my oldest June.

Ice Follies

Blue Umbrellas

Bedford Blue, a very unique blue

• Bennie0203
    Original Author
    9 years ago

China Girl, still young but a beauty

Dark Star, an oldie but with a beautiful appearance

Spartacus, 3 years old

Frisian Pride, in the second year

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Bennie, your hostas are all so gorgeous! Several of the ones that you have are on my 'wish list' and seeing how nice they are in your garden hasn't helped quell my desire to purchase them :)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Thank you, Bennie! You explained it just fine :-)
    The pink "ladies slippers" in the photo with the pretty Ice Follies are a nice surprise. You really do have very well-cared for hostas, beautiful specimens.

I have a 2-yr old Blue Umbrellas - glad to see how big it gets. My Dark Star looked like yours last year and this year I moved it to more shade to retain the blue a bit longer during the season.

• User
    9 years ago

I agree that China Girl is a beauty. I liked those long red legs when she first arrived and even more so this year. Mine is in a pot however.

Honestly I thought I could get by with just Autumn Frost but that was before your First Frost struck my fancy. It is a beautifully grown plant.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Ach du lieber, Bennie! Don't they have slugs or rabbits in Germany? Really nice and meticulously cared for. Spartacus is my favorite followed by Blue Umbrella, Anna Kulpa, Big Daddy and all the rest tied for 5th place.

Wunderbar! I have almost exhausted any German I may, or more correctly don't know.

Jon

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    9 years ago

Fan-super-tastic plants Bennie - an enjoyable visual treat!
    BC

• irawon
    9 years ago

Guten Morgen, Bennie. I agree with Moccasin, Jon and all the others... your hostas are beautifully grown... sehr schoene Pflanzen. I envy your Blue Umbrellas, mine doesn't look as blue or tall, having been planted in 2007... darn those tree roots. Your Autumn Frost as well is taller than mine, which is still hugging the ground in its third year. Ich muss auch sagen, dass Ihr Englisch ausgezeichnet ist. Wir lieben Ihre Bilder hier und hoffen, dass Sie oefter zurueckkommen. My German is rusty, I used a dictionnary and compensated with an "e" because my keyboard has no umlaut. Auf Wiedersehn!
    Just saying,Bennie, we appreciate your effort and hope you come back often with more pictures of your beautiful hostas.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

irawon,

........protzen.

• Eleven
    9 years ago

Bennie, your hostas are so beautiful! Such wonderful specimens. They show your love :)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Wow, I almost missed the second round of hosta.

Again, very nice. Thanks for sharing.

bk