Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

All fragrant order arrives

User
10 years ago

It came via UPS just before dinner. From Ohio, it was shipped on the 4th, got here on the 6th. The interior of the box was not at all hot. I'll post just a couple of the photos tonight, and give the others a chance to catch a beauty nap before I pot them and take school pictures.

This is one half of the order, the smaller half.

and the other half in a large bucket already

This second order with Wade Gatton consists of hosta which were dug. A couple of weeks ago now, I got the ones which were grown in containers. I'm happy to have both, but can you believe the size of these leaves? Wow.

Great River Sonata

Alabama Bowl....not fragrant, just threw it in there on a whim

I'll save the rest for tomorrow. It's time to go to bed now.

Comments (14)

• hostafrenzy
    10 years ago

The devil dog is pretending he's not paying attention to the new goodies...all the better to sweep in for the kill.

GRS is beautiful, do the leaves stay/get twisty? I can't seem to find pictures of it online.

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

Interesting...I found this at Hosta Helper:

Mark Zilis registered this sport of H. 'Moonlight Sonata' in 2004. However, according to The Hostapedia by Mark Zilis (2009), "This plant represents an embarrassing mistake from my nursery. In the mid-1990's, we found a white-margined plant in a flat of 96 'Moonlight Sonata' liners in our greenhouse...About a year later, it became apparent to me and a few other host collectors that 'Great River Sonata' was not a sport of 'Moonlight Sonata' but 'Sagae' itself. Mea culpa!!"

Great name for a hosta and, on the chance that the info I pasted above is wrong, we should know soon enough if it's fragrant since Mocassin's new baby has a flower scape on it.

Pix at the link

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Great River Sonata' aka Sagae

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

GRS, if not of Sagae parentage sure could pass as one. Moc, I kknow how much you like fragrants, but if she is not, you still have a beauty. I am looking forward to seeing them all potted up and ID'd. Sweet sleep girl.

Theresa

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes indeed, I'm not bummed out about whether it has fragrance or not. I love the name for one thing....and then for it to be of Sagae lineage even better.

The information given above will go into the file I keep on this hosta. Too many hosta for me to remember it all, but if I like a plant really a lot, my memory is a flowing stream! Unstoppable.

And that is what makes hosta so interesting. It's almost genealogy, family history, ugly duckling stories of mistaken IDs.
    Besides, my DH admired Sagae and it's good to double down on something the spouse likes.

Incidentally, Sagae is blooming now. We'll compare plants.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Oh wow, look at those plants! I am drooling....

Don B.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well drats! I was typing a response, and the window closed, now it is gone. Hmmm. Ok. I kept the info, Ci, to remember that Great River Sonata is probably Sagae. No problem, that is 1 of 2 hosta that DH really likes. And, the doglet is Dolly, not Cleo, who is the Demon Doglet belonging to BKAy. Dolly digs holes but not in pots, and she pulls up grass roots and eats that.

Now, I'm leaving off Alabama Bowl, which was the non fragrant hosta. Let's start with

Royal Gold

Great River Sonata/Sagae/fragrance undetermined so far

Frozen Margarita

Fragrant Gold....going to love the Royal Gold & Fragrant Gold

Surprise...rather smallest of the crowd

Jade Stone is another one looks might big to me

Royal Gold again, potted this time

Rippled Honey

Ginsu Knife #2

Otome No Ka

Iron Gate Supreme

Sweet Standard #2

Think that's about it, already put in Royal Gold, right?
    Thank heaven for Don Rawson's Fragrant Flowered Hosta list. It gives me information to pursue my desire to find fragrant hosta.

• hostafrenzy
    10 years ago

I am so sorry Moccasin for confusing Dolly with Cleo! Please extend a neck scratch and belly rub to Dolly on my behalf - I lost my doxie a couple of years ago (still crying!) and know how sensitive and proud they can be. I turned to hosta after her death and as weird as it sounds, hosta give me that similar happy feeling...well sort of.

Your 'Sweet Standard' is lovely and 'Frozen Margarita' looks to be one to keep your eye on, a future stunner!

• irawon
    10 years ago

I'm really happy for you, Moc. Ginsu Knife and Frozen Margarita have been on my radar but I'm unfamiliar with the rest. Looking forward to seeing them grow up. BTW that was fast planting.

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Hostafrenzy, you had me scratching my head with your dog reference. LOL moc has sweet sausages.

moc, I absolutely love a Frozen Margarita on a hot, muggy day! A nice alternative is a vodka and Sierra Mist over crushed ice. No hosta named for it because I don't think it has a name in the glass. :o) except Good.

Another nice purchase, moc, and I am really looking for how your Sagae like hosta looks later on in her life.

Theresa

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Big smile here about the sweet sausages. And, Frenzy, the mistaken ID is not a problem. If you love doxies, you might remember the old movie The Ugly Dachshund? Dean Jone, Suzanne Pleshette? Three little girl doxies and one great Dane puppy who thought he was a doxie too.

This little Dolly girl is a puppy still, chosen after my elderly Maltese, MoonPie, died October 5 last year. Dixie, the other dog, a female doxie who is now 7, was inconsolable for his loss. So I got Dolly as her companion. I'm sure she considers it a mixed blessing! You know they all have different personalities, and definite attitudes about what is acceptable. Dolly is my digger--Dixie never dug. But Dolly's digging is for grass, roots, and not in pots, thank heaven. I always leave a gap between pots that allows her to snake through them to "the good stuff" she likes to dig into....like mulch. When I trimmed the dwarf boxwood, she brought into the house quite a selection of the clippings. She is a sweet little dog, but is not happy when something out our front windows looks different....like a neighbor going to their car!

Here is Dolly on watch.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Theresa, I did not know there was a Fragrant Gold, but when I saw that Van Wade had it, on the list it went. It is pretty. But I believe Royal Gold is a real winner, and so is Jade Stone. Amazing look, a really fat single eye with a couple of small pips around the crown.

All these were field dug, the root systems remind me of an old string mop. Just jam my hand up through the bottom and fan the roots out so they sat nicely on top of the mix coned up in the new pots.

Last summer, when I picked up some of the larger pots, the roots of the hosta were already growing through the holes and into the mulch. No telling how extensive the root systems are on the larger ones. I'm very pleased with all the new arrivals.

This morning, they are now in the shaded area of the Back40 meeting others in the Van Wade grouping.

One that I absolutely LOVE, is Living Water from the previous order with Naylor Creek. It is loving where I put it, beside Mardi Gras, which has a similar look.

• hostafrenzy
    10 years ago

Theresa, lol about sweet sausages, I really should have taken more care before disparaging little Dolly.

Thank you for being so gracious Moccasin. Your Dolly is the spitting image of my Doxie, right down to the pose.

Getting back to fragrants, you have inspired me to add more of the more unique fragrants to my garden. I already have Guacs, Fragrant Bouquet and a Royal Standard. Is there 1 or 2 or 3 fragrants that you would recommend? I do prefer the mediums to large sized hosta. For some reason, I always have trouble trying to place the smalls in my garden.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

When the wind blows east I can already smell them in the air! Have fun looks good. Paula

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If the wind blows east today, you'll be getting some of our rain which began overnight.

Surprised me that I have many fragrant hosta blooming now. I'm sure those are the hybrids, will have to take a closer inspection of the family tree.

For instance, Ginsu Knife, the one I had from last October from Hallson, it is blooming now, with the prettiest frilliest white bloom ever. Not implying it is double, just that the petals sort of curve backward like an open bell.

DH and I discussed the root situation in the driveway south bed, which he finished DE-rooting yesterday. He thinks he can keep the invasive roots from the neighboring trees from commanding the spot by trenching it regularly. So I am testing the hosta for HVX before I put them in the ground, just in case. Afterward is too late. Now is the right time to do it.

But, that is a different thread, isn't it.....I am sort of a one track mind these days. Sorry.