Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paula_b_gardener5bon

pie crust yellow

Hi all,

UK has a wonderful yellow pie crust edged hosta - does anyone know what it is called? It was in his post about a week ago, I think it was called 'a few pics' - hopefully this rings a bell.

Thanks for any help
Paula

Comments (19)

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found his post, I hope he doesn't mind my 'borrowing' his photo. It is the lovely, bright yellow one at the front.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

My guess would be Dancing Queen.

Gesila

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

It looks like my Dancing Queen. Love that one!

Linda

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

It's Dancing Queen alright. But it does not hold its yellow. It moves toward green as the summer progresses.

• irawon
    10 years ago

Unless UK man has added 'Dancing Queen' to his garden, I think the pie crust might be his 'Sea Gulf Stream'.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I would have guessed Dancing Queen too... I think it sets the standard for yellow hostas in the medium category. Mine stays pretty yellow... even my spare plant back in the "back forty" in very heavy shade. In fact, that is part of Walters sales pitch for Kent Terpening's plant - that Dancing Queen stays yellow all season.

But if UK man doesn't have DQ, I sure think irawon has a good alternative. Sea Gulf Stream remains my favorite large yellow - and in a pot it might look like this. In bright light in an open garden, it will be much fuller and can (even though it is listed as a medium) easily be 4-5' in diameter.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I would have guessed Dancing Queen too... I think it sets the standard for yellow hostas in the medium category. Mine stays pretty yellow... even my spare plant back in the "back forty" in very heavy shade. In fact, that is part of Walters sales pitch for Kent Terpening's plant - that Dancing Queen stays yellow all season.

But if UK man doesn't have DQ, I sure think irawon has a good alternative. Sea Gulf Stream remains my favorite large yellow - and in a pot it might look like this. In bright light in an open garden, it will be much fuller and can (even though it is listed as a medium) easily be 4-5' in diameter.

• uk-hostaman
    10 years ago

Sorry been out watching tennis all week and not had time to respond..it is dancing queen...it's a great yellow for early spring but does burn alittle in the summer so I move it and put something else in its place.. But a must for a early bright yellow

• irawon
    10 years ago

UK, glad to know it's Dancing Queen. Mine still only has one eye. Yours is magnificent. I'm looking forward to seeing mine grow. Mine doesn't stay yellow ... more chartreuse later on.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much! Off to the garden centre I go...

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

Just throwing in my two cents.

I have both Dancing Queen and Sea Gulf Stream and while similar, there are some differences.

First, like Jim said, SGS gets much larger in the long run than DQ.

DQ comes up a more fluorescent yellow, while SGS has a duller tone. It is still yellow but not as âÂÂbrightâ as DQ.

It is my experience that SGS has a much thicker, more rigid leaf than DQ.

Both of my plants are about the same age and still pretty immature. SGS is not so much âÂÂbiggerâ as reaches out âÂÂfartherâÂÂ. DQ is keeping to herself and not stretching too much.

Fwiw,

Ludi

Sea Gulf Stream

Dancing Queen

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lovely comparison! I love Dancing Queen and I bought it this afternoon :)

• idiothe
    10 years ago

You can tell I mostly quit acquiring new hostas about 4 years ago, but I get a few select ones once in a while... so you can see here I stuck in some starters of (clockwise) Dancing Queen, Golden Meadows, Tropical Dancer, and Pistache.

All four deserve better locations...

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bought Dancing Queen today and I cannot wait until mine looks like yours. Is it a fast grower? How much sun/shade do you give it? You are a zone colder than I am but similar enough.

I have Golden Meadows, too but it is still quite young and doesn't show the outstanding characteristics that a more mature plant has.

Tropical Dancer is pretty...don't have that one...

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Here's a pretty good color-comparison shot. Sea Gulf Stream - lower right - is a yellow but kind of chartreusy. For comparison, Fire Island in the front left - one of the brightest in the spring. Between, the always charetreusy yellow Lemon-Lime.

for full disclosure, behind Kiwi Full Monty and Yin and in front is Lakeside Babyface.

Here's a nother Sea Gulf Stream, in more light, with Captain Kirk.

• User
    10 years ago

YIKES.....I placed an order for Sea Gulf Stream a few days ago, based on pictures and words about it here.

Don't have Fire Island, it might be a perfect companion for my other yellow golds, which come and go in their degree of goldness. I like them all, at all stages.

One of my pretties is a Stuart Asch hosta, Bibb Lettuce. When it came last year, it was very tender like a head of lettuce. I had no hope it would endure the rigors of our heat and humidity without getting parboiled. It really surprised me this spring with the show it put on. It is a more vigorous plant now, and it had a better substance--which is required to stand the humidity, IMHO--and now it is becoming a limey yellow.

Here he is in May 2013

And here earlier in the year, in March. One of the earlier hosta to look good.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I like that Bibb Lettuce!

I like Fire Island - great red petioles and it keeps a neat smallish mound... I think it would be a great pot plant.

Another variation is Paradise Island - Fire Island with irregular thin green margins.

Another one that has grown well for me, is Fruit Punch... also small, neat, bright yellow in spring with red petioles.

Lacking the red petioles, but neat leaves that I think would look great in a pot... Royalty. some rippling... pointier.

And going into that pointy look... Hacksaw is bright this time of year... and Curley Fries was really popular at the vending tables at the convention last year.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have both Fire Island and Captain Kirk, so your colour comparisons work really well for me.
    I am happy to have chosen Dancing Queen.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bibb Lettuce is really nice, too!

Another one that I have that is along the same lines as Fire Island is Designer Genes. I like the bright yellow and the red petioles.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022