Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uk_hostaman

starting over again

uk-hostaman
12 years ago

well the worst winter in 100 years finally took its toll on my topiary!...all were damaged too much!..well at least i could buy some more hostas!...was alittle heart broken though!...

before..

after..replaced by 4 'regal splendor'

here are a few more from today

and finally one that is really growing on me

'royal tapestry'

Comments (28)

• nchostaqueen
    12 years ago

Just wonderful! You are so lucky across the pond with such a good climate to grow the Hosta in pots like that.

I always enjoy your post and pics. Your topiary's loss is Hosta's gain!

Cheers,

Deb

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

though i loved them dearly .. from afar ... i am glad the new space gives you so much more opportunity ...

how about pyramid structures for elevating potted hosta ..... something like the link.. but just shelves to set the pots on ... we might be talking space for another 100 hosta ... lol ...

consider yourself enabled ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

More sun. More room. More hosta. Room for a Golden Full Moon Maple. This is opportunity knocking.

Steve

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

Always loved your garden,hostaman,but it looks like you are full up! Where are you going to walk,if you add any more hosta? Inquiring minds want to know! Phil

• Mary4b
    12 years ago

Those Hostas are just downright spoiled at your place!

That Liberty is unreal.

Sorry about your topiaries, I have loved them, too!

• ademink
    12 years ago

How have I never seen your yard before??? WOW!!! The topiaries were unreal (have you ever seen the documentary "A Man Named Pearl"?) but the new garden looks just as beautiful!

• Gesila
    12 years ago

Now we know the reason behind your Regal Splendor post....

Your gardens are breathtaking! It was the pictures of your gardens from last year that got me hooked on the pie-crusted, wavy edged hostas!

Gesila

• Cher
    12 years ago

It's still beautiful and gives you lots more opportunities.
    Cher

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

You must have been heart-broken. They were wonderful plants. The good news is that whole space is still beautiful.

tj

• mary52zn8tx
    12 years ago

So sorry about your topiary, but your garden is still breathtaking!! Thank you for the luscious pictures!!

• Cindy Johnston
    12 years ago

Beautiful garden! What is the hosta in the 7th picture from the bottom (13th from the top)?
    Cj

• socks
    12 years ago

Absolutely lovely!

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cindyj..its spartacus....a fantastic hosta and a good grower,i have 4 more i love it that much..but then again i do love 'piecrust'edge hostas!

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    12 years ago

Your rounded topiaries were amazing as is the rest of your yard. I'm sorry you lost them, but our gardens are ever-changing. I'm sure it's going to look just as good or better with the Regal Splendors.

• gayle0000
    12 years ago

I'm heartbroken for you. They were gorgeous. This is the natural cycle of life we all must come to terms with. RIP.

Gayle

• critter-ridder
    12 years ago

Beautiful garden even without the topiaries. It is always disheartening to lose much loved plants, trees, etc. to the forces of nature, but that is something we can't control. Your hostas look like they are on steroids, so very, very nice! Thanks for sharing.

• victorine72
    11 years ago

Waiting for these photos to load and then seeing this garden appear on my monitor was like watching the scene in "The Wizard of Oz" when the film changes from black and white to Technicolor.

Jaw droppingly beautiful. Just lovely.

Fertilizing with kryptonite, I presume?

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

A wonderful garden, I have to wait another 2 1/2 months...We in the US love to give give the UK some free heat via the Gulf Stream though to let them grow hostas earlier.

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

UK's garden is small, but it's the Jewel in the Crown version of Hosta Gardens. I wish he'd give us an update this Spring, but he hasn't posted in a while. He missed the alphabet.

Steve

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

Hope to here from UK again this year. It would be great to see what he's up to. He has the best container garden ever.

Beverly

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone again..cant believe that was 2 years ago!..hostas were so much bigger last year..i will post again with pictures in the spring,at the moment im just in the process of 'tweeking' a few things to find that little more room for just a few more hostas!...UK

• gogirlterri
    11 years ago

I'm glad to hear from you uk. Seeing your garden has given me energy to face a new year, hopefully not as hot and rainless as last year. I finally have snow cover, though less than 2". I'll be anxiously awaiting your new photos of your lovely garden.
    Theresa

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Is that big green one with the yellow edge a Liberty?

bkay

• User
    11 years ago

Ademink, I saw the show about The Man Named Pearl, I think on public TV . Topiary is way beyond my patience, but I can see how gardeners get hooked on the precision.

So sorry, UK, for the years of effort put in the plants that the cold weather destroyed. It looks as if the hosta will keep you from missing the topiary portion of the garden. Perhaps it was a blessing in disguise? Now instead of repetitive maintenance, you have a new plan and a new challenge. What a delight that your garden is in a climate loved by hosta.

One question though. Is your bamboo in a container? Is it a clumping species?

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi moccasinlanding...i love bamboos but everyone says you cant put them in small gardens...what i have done is buy the biggest plastic pot i could get and cut the bottom out then plant the pot in the ground and then the bamboo..it keeps the bamboos from 'running' out all over the place and gives it a compact feel...i have to thin them out every other year but gives me some form in winter...i have a black one and a golden one

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    11 years ago

What a gorgeous garden, both before and after. Everything from the baskets to the grass looks absolutely perfect, everything at the peak of condition. Sad about the topiaries, even though you found a clever way to deal with the damage.

I envy your climate. We lived in London for a couple years, and plants just thrived. It was nothing like your garden, but enough to make me love gardening.

Then we moved to Nebraska, land of clay soil, 100+ degrees in summer and up to 30 below in winter. Lots of space, but many things don't do well here. At least the winters are getting milder. I understand you can grow tropical plants in Southern England now.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

MadPlanter,

Something tropical might have survived the mild winter last year if very carefully looked after. Nothing tropical could survive the many single digit nights and the snows and blizzard we had this year.

Jon

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

With certain shrubs we all will be doing topiaries anyway after a while. That is, this spring I see already that some shrubs will need pruning and often that ends up in ball shape, or ball on a standard shape, with hollies, pine and blue spruces.
    Bernd