Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How To Ship Hostas?

Posted by triciae Zone 7 Coastal SE CT (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 07 at 7:13

I'm sending 3 large 'Sum & Substance' hostas in a trade. I've never done this before. How do I prepare the hostas for shipping? My plan is to dig, wash off all of the dirt, allow to air dry a bit, wrap in damp newspaper, & pack.

What I'm unsure of is whether I should cut off the leaves? The leaves, obviously on 'S&S' are large. Best to remove them?

Oh, I'm shipping 2-Day Air from CT to MA. Our weather forecast for the next few days is mid to upper-70's.

Many thanks,
Tricia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How To Ship Hostas?

there is a picture of packing at the post linked below ..

i wouldnt let them dry at all ...

2 day air from connectadot to massachewsitz?????? only if you have extra money ... try to get them to the post office by shipping time today ... they will be fine.... when they type in the zip code.. they can tell you delivery date .... make decision then ...

WRITE ON TH BOX TO LEAVE IT IN SHADE, presuming the rcpient will not be home .....

the PO offer free shipping containers.. per the picture ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Wrap the roots & crown in wet paper towels, then put a plastic bag around the wrapped portion. A detailed link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: clicky

o

Hey Tricia!

Yep - ken is correct. Don't dry them at all. I dig, wash, wrap in damp paper towels or newspaper, then plastic wrap or bags. Put the whole thing on a sheet of newspaper and roll like a sub sandwich. That will protect the leaves a bit. Yes, I know they are huge, but as long as the "stems" can carry water to the leaf then I think it is a benefit.

Place in a box and ship Priority on a MOn/Tues. THey should be there by Wed/Thurs.

Alexa

o

• Posted by triciae Zone 7 Coastal SE CT (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 1, 07 at 9:09

So glad I brought my questions here...I would have let the roots dry a bit (sorta like iris).

My many thanks!

Tricia

o

Don't cut the leaves off!

Char

o

I agree with Char, don't cut the leaves. After you wrap the roots in wet paper towels, tucked into a plastic bag and wrap with an elastic to hold it all together. Pull out newspaper (larger than Hosta). Arrange leaves so they lay on one another and loosely wrap in newspaper. Helps to hold the leaves in place and helps keep the plant from being damaged in shipping. Add extra newspaer gently rolled to fill extra space in the box. Should arrive looking good. Everything I shipped with year arrived in two days regular mail.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here