Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irawon

How do I treat this?

irawon
11 years ago

Any ideas as to what might have happened to 'Regal Splendor'? I discovered her condition yesterday. I'm really feeling distressed because she finall added a few more eyes this spring and I've never had any problems with her before. She's at least 5 years old. The lupin beside RS is ailing as well. I don't think it's foliar nematodes because the damage extends across veins. The lupin does not have aphids to which they are prone. 'Bressingham Blue' and 'Blue Angel' near RS each have one crispy leaf edge.

Did RS suffer from a lack of water while we were gone for the week end? Is this due to a lack of nutrients? She is competing with spruce trees. Did I do wrong by using Miracle Grow when I hand watered because my husband had turned off the irrigation system to treat the dandelions in the lawn.

Have any of you seen this before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (11)

• irawon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a picture of the lupin

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Yank that leaf off, don't cut it, yank it. Probably a combination of a lack of water and root competition. Liquid MG isn't bad for a quick shot of fert, but it will only last for a couple of weeks. My sense is that the whole area needs a good thorough soaking. Tell you husband to dig the dandelions, and turn the irrigation system back on. It's likely that the plants were used to the water that the system delivered and were stressed when it wasn't available.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Get him one of these

• irawon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hubby won't dig the LIONS on over an acre of land but has turned the irrigation system back on. Thanks for the feed back. I will yank those leaves as you suggested. I will also move the lupin out of that bed.

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Have you considered that the weedkiller used for the dandelions may have gotten on your plants?

bkay

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

in my world.. you treat it..

by reaching in there.. and pulling out the bad leaves ..

and never turning the water off again ...

crimminey.. you peeps want to make all this hosta stuff so hard ...

let me sum it up.. if you have a bad leaf.. get rid of the bad leaf ...

btw... application of foliar fertilizer in high heat [and full sun] can be a real big problem.. burning leaves ... [but you did NOT say you did that]

as to the 'other' suffering plant.. let me clarify that for you.. IS IT A HOSTA??? .. if not.. dig and chuck over neighbors fence..

FOCUS PEEPS.. hosta.. hosta.. hosta...

double focus .. are you actually suggesting that spending 3 or 4 times the value of the plant is worthwhile??? cant you go buy another of that other plant for about 3 bucks.. is it worth it to spend 10 bucks on some chems???

and i do understand the value of discussing it .. the search for knowledge ... etc ... what i dont understand is 'saving' something by investing more in it.. than it is worth ...

ken

• donna_in_sask
    11 years ago

You are TOO funny, Ken!

That lupin looks pretty sad. I've heard they are notoriously difficult to transplant due to the long taproot, best of luck to you.

• irawon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No Ken, I didn't pour the diluted Miracle Grow on the leaves, just around the base of the plant, thank God. It wasn't until after I had applied the Miracle Grow that I had second thoughts. And it's in the center of the planting bed, so it doesn't get much direct sunlight. I have great difficulty throwing any plant material out.

If I can't save the lupin, that's OK. Donna, I didn't know that lupins have tap roots. I stopped using them many years ago because they became afflicted by aphids. I bought this fella last summer and it looked healthy this spring.

No, I don't think my husband sprayed the plant as it's in the center of the bed and the hostas at the perimeter aren't affected.

What I noticed today though is that some of my hostas ('Guacamole', Montana Aureomarginata', 'Dream Queen' to name a few) have such dense upper leaf growth that rain water doesn't get to the roots, it just rolls off the leaves. My hostas also get hand watered from time to time, so I guess I have to be more diligent in this respect.

Thanks everyone for your interest. I appreciate the help.

• gardenfanatic2003
    11 years ago

You should always water well the day before fertilizing so the plant has time to fully absorb the water. Otherwise, the fertilizer can damage the plant. A plant can be in need of water before it reaches the wilting stage.

Deanna

• irawon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will try to remember that, Deanna. I hand-watered over 250 hostas yesterday. Halfway through I decided to apply Miracle Grow at half strenth. I yanked 7 wilted leaves from poor 'Regal Splendor'. I hope the others don't go the way of RS.

• ninamarie
    11 years ago

I don't know what happened to the hosta, but lupines are nitrogen fixers (they fix their own food)and are not too fond of additional fertilizer. They also like full sun in well-drained soil and don't need much moisture.

• User
    11 years ago

so.....lupin do not make a good match for the hosta bed, which needs lots of water..... don't have to worry, no lupin ever sold down this way.

My African grey has a new phrase which is appropriate for Ken: "You are so funny." The boy is a very observant bird.

I have some problem leaves, which I thought should remain on the plant as long as they were growing? Plus, if I yank them out of there, and these are hosta in containers, would the whole plant come with it? I've waited to remove leaves until they no longer provide help to the plant. Tell me if I am doing right or not, Ken. ....??