Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erin_farr

What's this little guy? ID please!

My gardens are coming together well but I keep finding new hosta everywhere! This little guy seems to be established and can only guess that he does get much bigger than this! No ruler to measure but those are maple keys around him...he's very tiny, and yes, I give my hosta gender names.

Comments (8)

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    10 years ago

Looks like 2nd or 3rd year seedlings. My Halcyon seedlings look similar. What's close by?

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Erin - If u have ever followed my posts you will notice ALL of my hostas are shes. :o) I am extremely female gender oriented. duh! And I mean no insult to anyone. It is who I am.

It sure appears to be an open pollinated seedling from what you have described. But SHE :o) is pretty even if another all green as Ken tells us. Call HER Annie after Little Orphan Annie, or whatever else you like, maybe even Andy. After all SHE is your hosta. :o) I know a very cute young woman named Andy (not short for Andrea or any other name like that) and she is happy with her name.

Theresa

• Erin Farr (Niagara Zone 6)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's funny you ask as there is NOTHING around this little one. The closest hosta is a good 40 feet away! Right now I call it baby hosta. lol. I'm very attached to it. I don't know anything about seedlings but I think I may need to research some info on them.

Theresa, lol...I'm glad I'm not the only one. Some of my hostas are male and some are female. I don't discriminate ;) I do think most are "male" though and think the reason behind it is that I am a mother to 3 boys, 4 if you include my husband! I guess since I'm a mother to these plants, it automatically makes them boys since that's all I've ever been a mother to!

June...she is definitely female and so is Miss Frances Williams. I think their names determined their gender though...not me!

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

You indicate you are in zone 10, is that accurate? If so, then this hosta is fully up and unfurled. However it appears to not be fully unfurled (not all the way up from it's winter nap). It's the right color and size to be Blue Mouse Ears, but the shape is not right. That's why I'm asking the question.

bk

• Erin Farr (Niagara Zone 6)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For some odd reason, despite the fact that I have "6" entered as my zone, when I post via my phone, it posts my zone as a "10". I don't know why.

Most of my other hostas are all unfurled and fully up which is why I thought this one might be a miniature. I just assumed that this is what it would look like forever. Again...I don't know much about seedlings

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

If it's a seedling, it is just that... a seedling.
    It won't have a name unless you give it one.

It's just like children. Even though you can have the same mother and father (assuming you even knew who the parents of this plant are), the children are all quite different.

This, my friend, is Erin's seedling.

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

I have just found a hosta, like yours far away from any others that by it's size must be 3 years young. Plain green but heart shaped.

Yours has the color and wavy margins similar to Krossa Regal or Regal Splendor that hasn't it's variegation. Do you have either in your collection?

I've been involved in raising 4 boys and 3 girls and have never been able to relate, or understand in any way with those of the other gender than what I am. Funny - how the human (not huwoman? Why not? LOL: probably the Adams rib thing, huh!) brain works.

Theresa

• User
    10 years ago

HA! Name it Hosta 'Erin Boy' and it could be also spelled 'Errand Boy'

Like BKay, I thought of Blue Mouse Ears as a parent. If the leaves are fairly thick and they round up a bit as they mature this year, it could be a unique seedling from the prolific Mouse Ears family. It is a pretty seedling.

I'm glad to know you call those tree pieces maple "keys"....My pecans drop the same things, so do the sweet gum trees. It's always something coming down from even the best of trees.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH