Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gesila_gw

Early Morning Pictures

Gesila
10 years ago

We're supposed to get thunder storms today, so I was out early snapping a few pictures.

Golden Gate:

Nancy Gill:

Sun Power:

Hot Green Chilies:

Manhattan:

Gesila

Comments (16)

• netcub
    10 years ago

Beautiful. I love Manhattan... I love bumpy Hostas in General.

• esther_b
    10 years ago

Nice pics! Golden Gate looks a lot like Maui Buttercups. Do they share ancestry? That Manhattan is interesting because of the bumps and crinkles. Haven't seen that one around.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Great pictures---every one of them. Manhattan certainly has character---I like it!

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Yep Manhattan is a winner, worth the wait. Nice pictures, Green Chiles was new to me - I had to look it up. Kinda new it was a Guacamole sport.

Beverly

• dg
    10 years ago

Terrific pics of really nice hosta!
    Nancy Gill is speaking to me.

Deb

• Gesila
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Golden Gate and Manhattan are Olga's hostas.

Deb, Nancy Gill is a cross of 'Sum and Substance' x pycnophylla x montana. It also has red petioles and white backs. It's my favorite progency of S&S.

You're correct Beverly, Hot Green Chilies is a sport of Guacamole by Ran Lydell. It's originator stock that we bought from Ran when we visited him last summer. Hot Green Chilies is supposed to get some corrugation to it, unlike it's ancestors. I'm looking forward to this one.

Gesila

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

Very nice! I love that Manhattan and everytime I see Sun Power, I remember that I really need to get that one.

Linda

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Beautiful pics, Gesila. Hope you and your hosta don't get pounded too hard by those big storms headed your way.

Don B.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Those are all some nice plants that are nicely grown. Thanks Gesila.

tj

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Beautiful!

-Babka

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

They all look great, and I love Manhattan!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Gesila, do you know whether or not Mr. Lydell does any mail order sales of his hosta?

Thanks,
    Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

How fortunate to have OS of Hot Green Chilies....I got a bit of this one earlier this month from Wade Gatton. Plus a few more fragrant ones dug from the fields or gardens.

I like the other Olga, Golden Gate, but will wait for my young Tobacco Road to grow mature. But Manhatten, that is one unique hosta. Outstanding character that one. At the top of my list, right behind Snake Eyes. And Mikado.

Good luck with that weather.

• muktowngal
    10 years ago

Beautiful photography and the hosta are true beauties, I have always wanted Niagara Falls. I may now have to look for Manhattan instead.
    Thanks for sharing Gesila.

• Gesila
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don, I don't know if Ran does mail order or not. Send him an email and ask. I've listed the link to the Western NY Hosta Society Members where he is Vice President, his email address is listed there.

I'll never forget my visit with Ran. He had the tractor headlights shining into his beds at night looking for a hosta for me that I "had to have". I have a few other of his introductions that are original stock. We haven't planted most of them yet. I'll post pictures of them when I do.

Gesila

Here is a link that might be useful: Western NY Hosta Society Members

• irawon
    10 years ago

Those are nicely grown hostas. I'd love to add Golden Gate and Manhatten to my gardens but am running out of room. Mmm, Hot Green Chilis too. I always enjoy looking at your photography.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths