Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 little gifts

Posted by dray67 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 12 at 8:05

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
My Wife was shopping with her mother in Lancaster PA yesterday and brought me home this surprise. 3 Hosta that i know very little about.
Fire Works, Remember Me, and American Sweetheart.
I tend to be drawn to giants, Blues and Yellows because my hosta garden is designed to be viewed from our deck about 25 yards away. These are small so i need to figure out where to put them. I also have BIG MAPLE trees so roots are an issue.
Should i keep them potted for a season? Any tips on how much sun?
Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 little gifts

If you want Remember Me to remain a white/cream hosta, you should put it somewhere where it gets a fair bit of my sun. I don't have much sun, so my two Remember Me's each remain on the light yellow side for most of the season. It grows slow, but is lovely. What a nice surprise gift!

o

I have Remember Me... very little sun and it is pretty yellow inj the center. Yes, it's a slow grower.

Like you, I'm also drawn to the giants, but now I wish that wasn't the case.

I'm so overcrowded now, I don't think I can buy anymore.

o

Very nice Dave. Do you know where she got them. I live 30 minutes from Lancaster and I am always looking for a new source. I have pretty much drained the options in the Reading area:). Thanks. Gail

o

Last year Ken said that everyone should have one of these. That worked for me. Any reason is good! He was right. (Cannot make proper change for 2 dimes but knows his hostas.) It has been a fast grower and mine is in 8 hrs of sunlight. When on a Hosta Walk it catches my eye and I just want to say "Thanks Ken" this one is a winner. So much so I ordered 2 more this year. Have a great grow day, Paula

o

Oh it was an American Sweetheart. LOL Too much sun already! Dave you have a good wife! Paula

o

She says she got them at Layseres in Myerstown closer to Lebanon.
Any One know any thing about Firerworks?

o

Yeah,Fireworks was a pathetic little hosta that didn't even make it through the second year for me! I'm just not a big fan of minis,but I do like white-centred hostas;maybe because they're a challenge. American Sweetheart grows well for me for several years now. Never found a Remember Me. Phil

o

I started off with two 'Fireworks'. One died, the second one is hanging on for dear life. I have found it a difficult mini to grow although I have had good luck with others. I grow all my minis in the ground. Your 'Firework' looks more robust, however, than mine did when I got it. Since it doesn't have much chlorophyl, I would think it would do best in gentle morning light. Good luck with yours.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here