Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimr66

Blue Angel, Zounds, Emp. Wu.

jimr66
9 years ago

the Blue Angel is a 7 year plant about 75" in diameter, and is still unfurling.

The Zounds is about the same age, but was split when I moved 3 years ago. (blue angel was moved intact)

E.W. is a second year plant. I know there will be "Issues" next year....but there is a plan (and new home) in the works for next year.

The spiderwort is a nice accent for the Hostas and is just coming into bloom.

Comments (15)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Your Sweet Kate tradescantia is a nice full mound...mine was bunny fodder last year. It must be really gratifying to grow such mature hostas where they attain, and exceed projected dimension! So beautiful! I really enjoy your pictures and how you display your plants in your gardens. Thank you for sharing. :-)

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

Very nice. Love the colour combo.
    Vanessa

• irawon
    9 years ago

Very impressive, Jim. Like your Zounds in front of BA, it complements it nicely. I like Sweet Kate too as it's not as invasive as the green-leaved versions. It's supposed to rebloom too but I've never been able to accomplish that with mine. Have you?

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Looks great. Who says solid-colored hostas are boring? Well, some people do, but not me.

I was considering getting an Empress Wu, and putting a treehouse in it in 5-7 years.

Don B.

9 years ago

I yank out the spent stalks early and get re bloom on all, as well as lots of re growth.

• blacksheep998
    9 years ago

I hope you have a big location for that Empress Wu, shes one of the fastest growing hostas I've ever seen.

I got mine at half the size of yours. Two eyes and it had some big leaves but not many of them. The following year it was about 4 feet wide, and this year it's over 7!

It hasn't hit it's full height yet, though it did reach just over 36 inches. I'm hoping next year will be the one it reaches 4 feet tall.

I love the spiderwort too. They're really cool plants but have the problem of popping up all over the place.

This post was edited by blacksheep998 on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 10:07

• DiggingInTheDirt
    9 years ago

Beautiful! The more I see Zounds, the more I think I need one.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Blacksheep, the yellow-leaved spiderwort/tradescantia, doesn't self seed like the others...at least that's my experience. I've only been able to propagate Sweet Kate by clump division. It's a constant battle with the others.

• jennaj_z4mn
    9 years ago

Beautiful combo! My Zounds has been a very slowwww grower. Guess I just have to give it time. Thanks for sharing!

• blacksheep998
    9 years ago

Oh! And here I've been avoiding spiderworts because I thought they were all weedy! I'll have to snap up a gold one next time I see it at a nursery.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

That's a nice looking bed. Great hosta and great color. I also like spiderwort.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Harryshoe, that's a gorgeous border.

Josephine, so that's what you do with Sweet Kate..cut the entire stalk? I've only deadheaded and that hasn't worked for me.

• jimr66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Tradescantia is actually two clumps I shoved together...., I find this plant blooms for a couple of months, (only in the morning, buds close up in the afternoon). As for E.W. I have a big spot in mind for next year It doubled this year.

9 years ago

Irawon, yes, just cut right down or yank it out with a good pull. I find volunteers too but they are easy to pull out..(.just like forget-me-nots sort of, where I Pull the whole plant out - it's already scattered seed for next year). I've been cleaning the garden all afternoon. Battling ants too - they are under construction, building those underground condominiums!!! Just ran out of the foam spray...there is no way they are getting anywhere near my hostas!

The bees have provided me with various flower colours from Osprey Tradescantia and the blue T. bonus :-)

9 years ago

Irawon, yes, just cut right down or yank it out with a good pull. I find volunteers too but they are easy to pull out..(.just like forget-me-nots sort of, where I Pull the whole plant out - it's already scattered seed for next year). I've been cleaning the garden all afternoon. Battling ants too - they are under construction, building those underground condominiums!!! Just ran out of the foam spray...there is no way they are getting anywhere near my hostas!

The bees have provided me with various flower colours from Osprey Tradescantia and the blue T. bonus :-)