Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostales

we love hostas-but-do you have an invasive one?

hostaLes
11 years ago

I don't have one thatI feel is invasive yet, so I can't post a photo. Will Stiletto be?

I'd added one last year. And H. clausa is listed as stoloniferous. Can mine become invasive?

H. clausa var. normalis

Do you have any hostas that you wish you hadn't added because they have become invasive?

Les

Comments (19)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

my clausa squared ... clausa var clausa is about 8 by 8 FEET ...

has swallowed 6 or 8 surrounding hosta ...

and has the most glorious pink and purple flowers

ken

• hostaLes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sounds like I can replace one of my Lancifolia floats with clausa. I really love the deep purple flowers, and there are a lot of them.

Les

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    11 years ago

Les,

Here's a H. clausa var. normalis root from last year. Yes, it was potted, thank goodness, but this gives you an idea of how rhizomatous it can be and how quickly and widely it potentially can spread.

Pieter

• hostaLes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Would you rather have clausa spec. normalis (see blossoms in 1st photo) or vinca minor as a ground cover?

Les

• Eleanor B
    11 years ago

I consider August Moon kind of in the "invasive" category in my yard because it is such a fast increaser that I can't keep up with how often it needs to be split so it won't swallow up the hostas next to it. I have it in multiple places because I use it to "tie together" the landscape. When I split it(which is like digging in cement), I plant one with 2-3 eyes and plenty of room between it and the next plant, and two years later it has S P R E A D to 20 eyes and swallowing up everything again! It absolutely thrives on neglect, too! I have given clumps of it to my sister to feed the deer. However, I would NOT consider completely getting rid of it or sorry I got it.

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

'Rhizomatous'. Such an education I'm getting. Now I have to figure out what good it does to be old and smart.
    Christine

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Rhizomes are modified stems that run underground, allowing the plant (i.e. H. Clausa) to reproduce itself asexually. Stolons are modified stems that do the same thing but they run above ground. I'm pretty sure that H. Clausa is rhizomatus not stoloniferous.

Steve

• hostaLes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I aagree. I couldn't remember which when I did my research on it. Strangely, when I was reading about clausa var. normalis, nothing was included about spreading undergreound (beyond the crown increasing in size) but under clausa var. clausa, I think which doesn't flower, it is mentioned. The other variety of clausa (can't remember the var.) has flowers but they don't open and it is also mentioned it is rhizomatus. So I assumed normalis is also. Steve-help with the three variations please.

Les

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Pieter is much more knowledgeable about H. clausa than I am. I don't grow it. This is from the Library.

clausa is a Korean species known in Japan as Tsubomi Giboshi, meaning "closed flower ball ( = bud) hosta." It is also known under the name clausa var. clausa. It occurs in central and northern Korea and is the form with closed flowers. According to Schmid, plants with this form are very rare in the wild. It and clausa var. normalis are basically the same species, although the former is a sterile triploid and the later a fertile diploid.

Steve

• gardenfanatic2003
    11 years ago

Ken, you should send a photo of that to the Hosta Library!

Deanna

• idiothe
    11 years ago

I've never met a hosta I'd call invasive as I find them relatively easy to chop back if they are rhizomatous. I do have two that are particularly apt to form disorganized colonies rather than neat clumps... kikutii yakusimensis and Otome No Ka

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    11 years ago

There are 5 subspecies of clausa, you will find 4 of them in this PDF on the HL and the 5th one is here. I received my original plant as a NOID a number of years ago and initially I thought it might have had 'Lancifolia' on my hands, but the flowers ultimately ended up clinching it. And man, they're purple them flowers! Love 'em!

Pieter

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

My Clausa spreads pretty well,but it is in an area where it doesn't affect any other hostas. I put it there years ago,to make a ground cover. Stiletto spreads,but I would hardly call it invasive. I kinda like the way it spreads. Phil

• hostaLes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pieter, thanks for your response. I had to laugh because it read just as I would have written mine, confusion with Lancifolia and all. I'd decided mine is H.v. normalis because the flowers open. But now I think I might have your 5th sub-species.

You can decide.

If clausa is normally considered invasibe, I would gladly invade my whole mulberry jungle with it and let it do its thing. (LOL) I love the dense and vivid flowers.

Les

• hostaLes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Could you post a picture of your spread (pref. in bloom), and maybe a close-up of your clausa hosta freak?

Les

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

Yellow Splash Rim ! It's in a lot of sun and has a weeping hose buried past it, and I have to carve it to pot up for others every spring.

Better that than the alternative, huh??

hh

• pathann
    9 years ago

I have a plain green leaf hosta, purchased from Walmart about 16-17 years ago. It does not clump, it sends out runners! In my grass, everywhere, hard to kill. I am so mad at them for selling this invasive plant, probably from China..

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Pathann- This is a 3 year old post. If you will start a new post with a photo it would be fun to see this "invasive" hosta and you will get more replies.

-Babka